Reason for breaking the lease: Neighbour's dog killed tenants' pets

chance are they are not staffies a lot of people register other dogs as staffies because you don't need any special requirements to own a staffie.

So staffies get a bad rep even though they are a very gentle bread.

You don't need any special requirements to own ANY dog. You just get a dog, stick it in your backyard, feed it if you remember, and kick it around a bit if it barks.

And it is that kind of dog owner that shouldn't be allowed to have dogs. Or children, since they seem to treat them much the same as the dogs. It always made me wince when I heard the neighbours throw stones and kick the dogs and shout at them that they are ******ing *******ing ******s and then do the same to their kids.

Fortunately *that* neighbour moved out, and a year later the kids went back to one of their parents.

In defence of staffy's, they really are a happy, friendly dog. HOWEVER mixing the breed with dogs like Pit Bulls etc causes problems. As does leaving the males undesexed. A lot of ppl become 'breeders' by default when their horny dogs get together.

I doubt it would ever fly in a tribunal where a tenant feels physically threatened and has a hamster corpse as evidence.

Good point but just had to pick up on this, a guinea pig is a different critter to a hamster...

Guinea pig: Cavia porcellus, the domestic guinea pig, popular as a pet and as an experimental laboratory animal. Distinctive because of its requirement for a source of dietary vitamin C, long gestation period of 63 days and very mature young at birth...

Hamster: Cricetus, small brown rodent with black underbelly. Nocturnal, burrower, hoarder, brief gestation period (15-16 days) and possesses a pair of capacious cheek pouches. Popular as a research animal and as a pet.

(Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary - DC Blood, VP Studdert Second Ed. 2000)

Its a common mistake.

By the way, did I mention I love guinea pigs? they are just adorable and make great pets. :)

Tail?

GuineaPig4.jpg

I would not think so, but give the RTA a call. They have always been able to answer any curly ones we have thrown at them.

Wylie, how do I contact RTA? I've searched for the term in Google and it stands for Residential Tenancies Act. Apparantly I couldn't find a number to call.

Thanks.
Lei

Google residential tenancies association and you will get a number from the site. I would do it for you but am on an iPhone and not at home.

I'd start looking for a new tenant ASAP, and ask the exisiting tenant if they don't mind staying on until you find a new one, which in most markets would be very quick anyway.

In a just world it's the neighbours who own the terrorising dog who would pay for this break lease.

oh please...don't feign Gen Y tech savvy!! we all know you're not 21...:p
Nah, if she were feigning tech savvy, she'd have surfed the web to find the number on her iPhone, then sent a link to leiw16 that they could click on and automatically be connected to RTA via skype. ;)

Change the situation. Council can't take the dog from the owners without a court order, but they can collect a roaming dog. Roaming = not in its own yard, and photographic evidence counts.

Gee Wish I lived in your area. I have seen Moreton Bay Council jump a persons fence to catch their dog after complaints it gets loose.

I agree with an earlier poster that you need to see if there are any issues you need to address re fencing. But if the the neighbour is not nice (which it doesn't sound like they are) then you probably might get issues with them not wanting to change it, or pay for any part of it.

I think you did the right thing though.

We've got a staffy and shes great with people, and horrible with other animals. Even mine would try to eat a guinea pig if she could. She killed a brown snake so a guinea pig would be easy pickings.

Really, it all depends on how far you want to take it. I.e. you could move into the place, and bring your bigger dog to live with you. If their staffy's like mine, it'd be thru the fence in no time and they'd be at each other.

Alternatively, talk radio can be an effective weapon against councils who drag their heels. They ring up the local councillor and make them look like a dweeb who doesnt care about dangerous animals putting the public's safety on the line, which then costs them votes and, at election time, a paycheck.

I

I love being able to sneak on to SS while at the coast but I am just a tad over 21 :). I really need a magnifying glass to use the iPhone :).

LOL. My last three posts have been on iPhone and I am actually scaring myself! How convenient to watch tv, have a beer on the couch, and throw a few comments onto Ss at the same time!

Regards Jo

Back