Reasonable maintenance on IP

Hi everyone,

So I received a call from my property manager to advise she had carried out a routine inspection. She sounded enthusiastic/keen which is great. She did make a few recommendations about maintenance on my IP.

• replace the carpet as they are looking pretty worn/warped (not current tenants fault) - I actually agree and was meaning to replace and improve some areas with floorboards;
  • attend to minor items such as grout, seals in bath and exhaust fan (again I'm ok with this to prevent further damage);
  • then she said that the bathroom had mould and would need to be repainted because the exhaust was not working. She also suggested getting a quote to repaint the entire apartment at the same time as the walls were badly scuffed.

I don't mind doing this work but I wanted some advice from fellow investors:

1. how often do you typically replace the carpet in your IPs?
2. how often do you typically repaint your IPs?
3. would you repaint for scuff marks and mould or ask the tenant to clean?
4. have you ever painted with the tenants still living in the property?

There is an identical unit that is renovated downstairs and leased for $10 more p/wk. Given I'm up for lease renewal, would you consider increasing the rent or leave it as is given the tenants are going to be inconvenienced during the above works. I thought of leaving it unchanged as they have been good tenants.

Much appreciated for your advice/suggestions... Thanks! :)

Last edited:
  • replace the carpet as they are looking pretty warn/warped (not current tenants fault) - I actually agree and was meaning to replace and improve some areas with floorboards; Maybe at a change in tenancy but never when there is a tenant in place. They took it with the carpet as worn, obviously didn't mind it then won't mind it until they leave.
  • attend to minor items such as grout, seals in bath and exhaust fan (again I'm ok with this to prevent further damage);would attend to the grouting and silicone if really required. Not if it's just cosmetic. Same reason that it was at time of lease initiation. Would fix fan, if in place already.
  • then she said that the bathroom had mould and would need to be repainted because the exhaust was not working. She also suggested getting a quote to repaint the entire apartment at the same time as the walls were badly scuffed. Get tenant to clean mould

1. how often do you typically replace the carpet in your IPs? depending on the state of repair. We tend to clean them intensely and with good result. Replace every ten years at most.
2. how often do you typically repaint your IPs? We repaint partially on a change of tenancy. We stick to the one colour and paint finish so it tends to be easy to match. Most of our properties are 2 bed units and we can repaint the walls in about 2-3 hours. We also have minimum of 1 year leases which encourages most tenants to stay way longer. It's also easier to paint some walls or rooms then to actually clean them as cleaning will create different shades on the walls.

3. would you repaint for scuff marks and mould or ask the tenant to clean? Tenant in place get them to clean.
4. have you ever painted with the tenants still living in the property? No. Would never do any major work whilst tenant is in place. Only thing we do is running repairs. We have evicted tenants if we need to do things just to get them out of the way. Currently are moving one tenant on as there is a leak from the bathroom which we need to address.

If the market rent is +$10 then I would increase the rent. If it stretches the market rent then I would leave it. Have a look what else is available in the area and then compare condition.

Cheers

Hi Handyandy,

Thanks so much for your detailed response :)

Would you really ask them to vacate before performing works?

I had considered this but they want to stay and are happy to move their furniture around to accommodate the replacement carpet - we can do in 2 stages: floorboards in living and then carpet in bedrooms. They have been there a while and carpet does need to be replaced, and a clean wouldn't fix the carpet it's stretched and lifting in places.

I though about asking them to vacate for major works like repaint but if they wanted to stay for other works then wouldn't this be a win/win as no break in rent receipt.

I had been meaning to attend to some of this in a lease break but have had same tenants for 6+ years which probably isn't a bad thing. They also pay rent on time so evicting them for maintenance I feel is harsh.

I had considered this but they want to stay and are happy to move their furniture around to accommodate the replacement carpet - we can do in 2 stages: floorboards in living and then carpet in bedrooms. They have been there a while and carpet does need to be replaced, and a clean wouldn't fix the carpet it's stretched and lifting in places.

If they are happy to stay and move things for new flooring, then I'd be looking at having them sign something, so that they cannot turn around and complain about the inconvenience when they are living through it.

We once had tenants very happy to allow us to build a huge deck on the back. It inconvenienced them very little until the builder was almost finished and had to open up the wall for the french doors. Tenants were happy to allow us as they got a lovely deck. They were leaving soon after, but benefited for a few months. Lovely tenants.

I think we reduced their rent (maybe $30 a week when rent was $300?) for the duration.

If they are happy to stay and move things for new flooring, then I'd be looking at having them sign something, so that they cannot turn around and complain about the inconvenience when they are living through it.

We once had tenants very happy to allow us to build a huge deck on the back. It inconvenienced them very little until the builder was almost finished and had to open up the wall for the french doors. Tenants were happy to allow us as they got a lovely deck. They were leaving soon after, but benefited for a few months. Lovely tenants.

I think we reduced their rent (maybe $30 a week when rent was $300?) for the duration.

Good points, will make sure we get them to agree to this. I was not going to reduce the rent but rather hold off a rent increase until after all works were completed and we were ready to issue a 12month tenancy. They have been month to month for years but given there are a fair few new apartments coming up in the inner city want some security over the coming year.

We've performed similar maintenance/improvements in our IPs, about once every 10 years. In the grand scheme of things the cost is minimal and it can generally be done very quickly if there isn't a tenant in the property.

Just a note that if the carpet is "wavy" and has been brought to your attention as a hazard you should either re stretch the carpet level or replace as it may void your insurances.

VCAT tends to give 7-10 years for carpets and painting, depending on the tenants you may be able to stretch this out longer.

As silly as it sounds, VCAT doesn't regard painting or carpet replacement cause for a renovation notice to vacate. If you're tenants pay on time, keep the property in relatively good condition and are willing to cooperate I wouldn't be asking them to go anywhere.

However, painting and carpet replacement is a huge PITA with tenants in the property. Although by the sounds of it the carpets are a tripping hazard and need something done. So make sure you get them to sign off saying that they agree to allow trades through the property, and move their furniture and personal items so they will not be damaged.

Mould is the tenants responsibility, however if the exhaust fan isn't working and they have been airing it by opening the window it could be argued that it is the landlords responsibility as the fan isn't working.

After 6 years you'd expect some markings on the walls, but a lot of these can be cleaned by using the "Magic Erasers". They're fantastic.

Hi everyone,

[*] replace the carpet as they are looking pretty worn/warped (not current tenants fault) - I actually agree and was meaning to replace and improve some areas with floorboards;

Carpets last ten years, give or take a few years. Hard floors last a lot longer.

[*] attend to minor items such as grout, seals in bath and exhaust fan (again I'm ok with this to prevent further damage);

sounds like normal wear and tear.

[*] then she said that the bathroom had mould and would need to be repainted because the exhaust was not working. She also suggested getting a quote to repaint the entire apartment at the same time as the walls were badly scuffed

Get the exhaust fan working ASAP! Repaint the bathroom if necessary. Probably just needs a good clean. If the whole house is due for a paint it could be a good time to do the lot.

1. how often do you typically replace the carpet in your IPs?
2. how often do you typically repaint your IPs?

Both every ten years or so.

3. would you repaint for scuff marks and mould or ask the tenant to clean?

Ask tenant to do it and see what the result is.

4. have you ever painted with the tenants still living in the property?

No. I've never had tenants stay long enough.

There is an identical unit that is renovated downstairs and leased for $10 more p/wk. Given I'm up for lease renewal, would you consider increasing the rent or leave it as is given the tenants are going to be inconvenienced during the above works. I thought of leaving it unchanged as they have been good tenants.

Increase it.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and feedback.

I have decided that leaving the tenants in place is the right thing even if it seems a little fiddly its really win/win for us both. They really want to stay and I keep getting rent which can go towards the cost of the reno, plus I would feel bad asking them to vacate - which even then probably wouldn't be possible. The agent also recommends that they stay. We can increase the rent after the work is done so that its on par with other comparable properties.

I've decided therefore to work around them and they are very excited about the renovations so have gone out of their way to allow the trades through to quote.

first replace or repair the exhaust fan.

If the mould has really set in then the paint will need to be scraped back, the plaster treated and then repainted with a bathroom / mould resistant paint.

Had a couple of mould issues go to VCAT over the years and the general response is that 'it is a health hazard and unless it is obviously caused by the tenant it is the landlords responsibility to take care of mould as it is considered a part of keeping the property in good repair'. Just a heads up!

first replace or repair the exhaust fan.

If the mould has really set in then the paint will need to be scraped back, the plaster treated and then repainted with a bathroom / mould resistant paint.

Had a couple of mould issues go to VCAT over the years and the general response is that 'it is a health hazard and unless it is obviously caused by the tenant it is the landlords responsibility to take care of mould as it is considered a part of keeping the property in good repair'. Just a heads up!

Yes we are doing that first, even the agent recommended this too.

I don't think the mould has set in - could be wiped down - but the walls haven't been painted in over 6 years and are a sorry state in areas so we want to do a refresh so that we can keep/attract good tenants.

Yes we are doing that first, even the agent recommended this too.

I don't think the mould has set in - could be wiped down - but the walls haven't been painted in over 6 years and are a sorry state in areas so we want to do a refresh so that we can keep/attract good tenants.
Probably best to get the walls done in a mould resistant / bathroom paint if you are going to paint them anyway then! :D - unfortunately I've seen too many mould problems over the years and sometimes the least damaging way to your property and income from the property is to just get on it and rectify, Sad to say that you can't trust most tenants to even clean mould with the correct cleaners.

I wish all tenants would care for their rental as if it were their own! Sounds like you've got some great tenants who actually do that though :).

Back