Reasons for selling

We were extremely fortunate with when we sold - the market was just peaking and we got top dollar for both of them. That was four or so years ago and having just checked on realestate.com.au, single bed apartments still aren't selling at that price now.

amazing isn't it - 8 years in the wilderness and prices still not back to where they were. it will probably take a total of about 20 years for prices to double from 2006

I am interested to find out why investors have decided to sell their property in the past ?

I am in a dilemma as whilst my property has grown at an average 7% the past 6 years , the holding costs keep increasing. Strata costs rose 140% start of last year and set to increase further this year.

This is due to some major works to the property that seems to be neglected in the past.

So have you ever sold due to strata fees that keep going up ?

40 year old building
Strata $1250 p/q
Going up to $2500 at the end of the year

There's no numbers above re value,yield, LVR etc but if it continues at an average of 7% then you will see it's value double in 10.24 years

Sydney has been in the doldrums for a number of years past and only recently played catch-up, your 7% may have been higher recently and less earlier on, see chart below

capscombined.gif

If you sell your investment property, you will be subject to taxes. Have you also considered that you would also miss out on the future growth of the property?

I'm not saying don't sell, but should you sell, what will you do with the funds?

I sold recently in Sydney due to the elimination of the capital gains tax discount for non residents. Also prices have had a good run and net rental return was relatively poor compared to other investments.

I'm thinking of selling later this year.

The property is not CF+ and doesn't meet my new criteria anymore. I first bought it for CG, but it has only gained $80k in 5 years. So it will be sold. Anyone want to buy a house in Stafford Heights?

There's no numbers above re value,yield, LVR etc but if it continues at an average of 7% then you will see it's value double in 10.24 years

Sydney has been in the doldrums for a number of years past and only recently played catch-up, your 7% may have been higher recently and less earlier on, see chart below

capscombined.gif

If you sell your investment property, you will be subject to taxes. Have you also considered that you would also miss out on the future growth of the property?

I'm not saying don't sell, but should you sell, what will you do with the funds?

Current value is around $440k, with an lvr of 68%...with sale would look to reinvest in an area that has outperformed the CG averages....the drain of cash flow for next 5 yrs is a signal to me to look elsewhere to invest in property.

amazing isn't it - 8 years in the wilderness and prices still not back to where they were. it will probably take a total of about 20 years for prices to double from 2006

Prices in general are higher now than their previous peaks, it appears you are cherry picking some examples and applying it to the market as a whole.

We sold mainly due to maintanence concerns. The house had been underpinned once and was I danger of needing it again soon. (whole hill sliding down :( )

Selling meant paying down debt and we had no debt at all plus some left over which we invested into business. This has given us more return cash on cash than if we had bought another property back in 2006. (and we still have very very low debt)

Just bought another house and the bank said no more due to servacibility issues. I like buying properties and turning them for a profit generally therefore a property we have had for a while and have made good gains from will go to allow future purchases.

I'm weighing up atm if i should sell.

My 1 bed unit to which i recently renovated and turned into an ip has achieved crap growth and i expect it to stagnate for awhile yet.

So i'm thinking why am i holding onto this ip when there's no good prospects of cg's and plunge the funds into a better performer.

If i were to sell,i'd be lucky to walk away with 55k.

On the other hand i've got a valuation done and can access equity of 45k.

What would you do?

Sell or access equity or acess equity and sell later?

Cheers Spades.

We just sold one of our units (in Meadowbank). It didn't have much growth for the first few years. I looked at selling it last January and figured it would sell for $420K. I decided to wait as it hadn't had the growth that my Blacktown properties had in 2012.
Lucky I did wait as I just sold for $515K. :D Not bad growth in 12 months.

The reason we sold is that I want to pay down some debt, moving closer to retirement. This will increase my cashflow and I don't think it will have any major growth over the next 5 years.

Back