recent book by Cathy Jane Pearce

"Real Estate Cash from Treasure and Trash"

Yadreamin recently mentioned the book in a separate thread.

I just picked up a copy at lunchtime and am looking forward to reading it. Pearce has had fabulous success in recent years. I'll post some comments next week.

I'm a little surprised to not find comments on the book already.

regards,
Pete

Dear All,

I've also picked a copy but haven't finished reading it yet.
Will post some comments after I've finished reading it in due course.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Still reading it ...

Normally I read a book very quickly but Cathy Jane's book has had to compete with a few other books this week and I'll only finish it this afternoon.

Although I'm yet to finish it, I thought I'd post my current impressions while I'm at the computer.

There is a wealth of knowledge in the book. Sometimes a little jumbled in its arrangement, for my liking, though not enough to detract from the effectiveness of the book.

It seems to me that Cathy Jane has an enthusiastic, intelligent, studied/informed, business-like, professional approach to the subject of wealth creation from property investing. The book offers adequate details and explanation. A lot of 'ground' is covered. And not just property investing, there are comments on a more holistic overview.

The book has an index though, disappointingly for me, no list of references. (I always enjoy reading a list of books that have influenced the author.)

I'm finding the book to be one of the better ones on the subject and recommend it unhesitatingly.

I look forward to finishing it today.

regards,

Cathy Jane update

Interesting article in the indepenent weekly www.independentweekly.com.au (last weekend) full text not available on web titled "rocky empire of a real estate queen" it appears that syndicate investors in cathy j developments have likely losses of 30-40% of thier capital with cathy j dev having their funds for the past 2yrs. Cathy J told the Australian she is "intending to leave adelaide as soon as practical" for Qld.

This could be another case of making money in a rising market being mistaken for business skill esp when you have access to capital reserves to invest and Hubby Myles "extremely successful background in real estate, founding then managing Myles Pearce and Co. through several decades until the late 90’s" ref www.cathyjayne.com.au

"There are three ways to make money. You can inherit it. You can marry it. You can steal it."
-- conventional wisdom in Italy

Thanks for the heads-up on the article Barney. Have to have a look. I guess when the going gets tough.....

ArJay :)

I found the book in bigW and read it last weekend. I think it has lots of great tips. It is nice that she feels she is doing ethical property development, pricing deals so other people can make money but I don't know if this works in the real world. Her value adding tips are good but I would have liked a few photos and more details, very theoretical so difficult to replicate.

Cheers
Pulse

Hello Everyone,

I watch Today Tonight (Im here in SA) a few weeks back and they interviewed a lot of unhappy customers who bought Cathy Janes Developments due to cheap shortcuts on the renovations.

I was a little dissapointed on what i saw as she was one of my Idols :rolleyes:

My main residence is closeby to her Office Building and i drove pass a few days ago and its now CLOSED - with a FOR LEASE sign.

barney said:
Interesting article in the indepenent weekly www.independentweekly.com.au (last weekend) full text not available on web titled "rocky empire of a real estate queen" it appears that syndicate investors in cathy j developments have likely losses of 30-40% of thier capital with cathy j dev having their funds for the past 2yrs. Cathy J told the Australian she is "intending to leave adelaide as soon as practical" for Qld.

This could be another case of making money in a rising market being mistaken for business skill esp when you have access to capital reserves to invest and Hubby Myles "extremely successful background in real estate, founding then managing Myles Pearce and Co. through several decades until the late 90’s" ref www.cathyjayne.com.au

"There are three ways to make money. You can inherit it. You can marry it. You can steal it."
-- conventional wisdom in Italy

i dont know all the facts on this one, but I think this is also a case where people sign up to a syndicate and put all there faith in the fact that they may have great returns or great losses as well - signing up to the syndicate it should be accepted that it could go either way. and when it doesnt go the way they expect (ie losses are generated) then the syndicate memebers are surprised and everyone screams from the rooftops about how bad it is.

Cathy Jayne overall is a fairly good example of a motivational, inspirational, energetic and positive role model to women and also men. She balances work life, investing, marriage and 3 or so children, as well as runs 5km every day, a published author - the list goes on - so I think hats off to her to what she has acheived in such a short period of time.

She did marry into money, but I think she was doing pretty well on her own way before she meet Myles Pearce and of course since she married him she has used his capital to further increase her investing and business successes.

The book appeared in our public library and I'm currently reading it.

- My impressions are that she is very smart in the renovation side. Stuff on tenants or buyers tastes with practical ideas is the book's big strength as it takes a different angle to other IP books.

- However she is very weak on the finances.

Consider this paragraph from page 28 (Refers to buying a little inner city unit for $200k and borrowing 90%):

Because you purchased in a good rental area for less than true market value, you are able to find a tenant and return 6% for 12 months. This means that the tenant is not only paying the mortgage off for you but contributing around 6% annually of calculated profit (a strategy known in the industry as 'positive gearing').

What tosh!

The 6% quoted won't even cover the interest. The reference to 'paying the mortgage off' implies a P&I loan, so there's another 2% or so for the principle component. Holding costs are another 2% or so. Add all that up and she's trying to say that her 6% yield will make it positively geared.

The talk of the 6% being part of any profit is also premature. All it does is contribute to a portion of (but not all) costs. A cashflow profit with 6% yield and a 90% lend on a small flat is most unlikely. If she's very lucky tax benefits and building depreciation might make it fairly close to neutral.

- I found the stuff on ethics, which made her sound like a goody two-shoes, a bit overbearing and vague. To me it seems as if she has a buck each way, though always to her benefit.

For instance in many parts of the book there is an emphasis on buying well below market value. This strategy opens all sorts of issues to do with the extent that one should take advantage of vendors in bad personal circumstances. Now there are varying (and legitimate) differences over this, but it's strange that when it comes to the pointy end, the ethics seem to be glossed over (even the much-touted win/win might be a 90%/10% split).

On the other hand, when it comes to selling (p35) she's apparently a saint, and wants to 'increase the affordabilty of the end product'. What's wrong with selling for a higher price, ie the maximum that a buyer considers is fair value?

To me this indicates a degree of inconsistency. Although note that a 'buy low, sell low approach' is less risky for the investor than a 'buy average, sell average' method.

(I've probably been a bit harsh here, but if I didn't detect a degree of sanctimony, and instead there was only a brief recommendation that investors behave fairly and ethically, then I would have commented less)

- Strange use of acronyms and jargon

For instance on page 33

Keeping ahead of the market, remaining market conscious and therefore enabling CJD to maintain the edge and make demands (Sale Price Achieved = Market Value Index).

A most unfortunate acronym. CJD is a brain disease, apparently related to Mad Cow! Had it been spelled out fully, and the reader not compelled to do a websearch, then they would not have had this unwelcome piece of info.

- 'The Characters on the Trash and Treasure trail' sections remind me of Peter Spann's $10m book, where he devotes each chapter to a seperate character. However Spann takes a more serious and comprehensive approach and doesn't have silly names like 'Bionic', 'Yes Man', 'Mr Manic', etc.

Overall it's full of ideas for the renovator and is a useful text for this purpose. However other authors cover other aspects much better.

Peter

Peter,

I believe CJD would probably mean Cathy Jane Developements??

I have inspected a few of her renovations and I believe her main problem is her choice of buildings she chooses to renovate. To quote Duncan_M (and put it bluntly)

You can tack a piece of cr*p and put lipstick on it but it is still a piece of cr*p.

Early this year she was selling some units on the beach front and they took about 4-6 months to sell. The actual renovation she had done was OK but they were just plan ugly and she tried to make them modern which made it worse.

one good thing

I found something good out of the book.

It made me re-think about renovations and the end user. Design issues.

So well done Cathy.

Other than that - it wasn't an all time classic. Still worth reading though.

Pablo said:
Peter,

I believe CJD would probably mean Cathy Jane Developements??

Yep. It's in the index (the full name, not the acronym) and the in the context it made sense.

I still wouldn't have chosen the name of a brain disease as a company name, and if I did, I'd never abbreviate.

I have inspected a few of her renovations and I believe her main problem is her choice of buildings she chooses to renovate. To quote Duncan_M (and put it bluntly)

If the purchase budget is low, then that might be all that can be afforded.

The book makes no bones about creating treasure from trash, though from your description the finished product isn't quite treasure.

Peter

Back