Recommendation for Someone to Rebuild 2 kitchen draws

I (stupidly) washed 2 of my kitchen drawers. I actually put them in the kitchen sink and filled them up with water.They are made of laminated chipboard.

Now I cannot fit them in anymore. My kitchen is an 80's kitchen.

In retrospect I now realise the obvious point that this the moisture has expanded the wood.

I guess I will need 2 new drawers made up. The front part of the drawers (ie its face) can still be used for the new ones.

I have rung up a number of cabiner makers who tell me that it is too small a job for them.

I rang up a furniture repairer, told me it would cost me at least $400 per drawer (ie total of $800) to have them made up by him (seems very steep!).

I live in Melbourne. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can have them repaired at a half reasonable price I am very happy to listen to suggestions!!

Hi there
can you go down to the local Bunnings or Mitre 10 and speak to the people in the woodworking area - perhaps they can cut you the appropriate size material for you to glue and screw it all together
thanks

You'd be feeling a bit of a dill then, David.
If the drawer face is fine the inner draw probably has a front (that the face is fixed to) then two sides, the back, and the bottom.
You'll reuse the drawer runners.
When I recently built my kitchen, I found a company that would cut and edge melamine (the white faced chipboard drawers etc are made out of).
I just gave them the dimensions and then they made up the bits. A dozen screws, and there's your drawer. No idea what one drawer would cost. Maybe $30?
Look for someone in Melbourne that cuts and edges melamine to size. There would be heaps of them.
Scott

sorry i cant help it, but that is absolutely hillarious!

made my day, in stiches laughing....

being serious though, i would take them down to bunnings get some timber cut to size and wack it all together.

or buy a new kitchen. for $1000.

hey david

what about the local paper for a handyman. The guys I've met could all do that sort of thing easy and I'm sure it would be a fraction of the costs.

Another option, not sure about your area though, is a retirement village.
I do alot of demolition and when I get some nice timber I drop it off to one up the road. They have a woodwork shop with a lathe,etc and use it to make kids toys for charity. These guys are in their late 80s but can make pretty well anything.

Chris

yeah i would think a handyman would be the best bet if you are not handy enough to do it yourself. They should be able to knock up a couple of drawers for you no sweat.

Ever heard of spray and wipe? :D

Hello Insurance hotline

I am telling you the water pipe was leaking. This caused a flood in the kitchen and now the whole kitchen is R.S.

You can assess it anytime you like.
Please help:eek:

Hello Insurance hotline

I am telling you the water pipe was leaking. This caused a flood in the kitchen and now the whole kitchen is R.S.

You can assess it anytime you like.
Please help:eek:

Apparently they will only fix the broken pipe but not the damage done. I always thought they would fix the lot:(

Anyway re the draw. I have now had to fix draws like this on a number of occasions. (not because I washed them - but the tenant may have lol)

One time I replaced the whole inside of the draw cabinet with a new and smaller cabinet with draws. This was a really old kitchen where I couldn't just remove the existing draw set as it wasn't a separate cabinet. Made for smaller draws but was able to relet quickly.

At other times the draws have just fallen apart in which case I have had full sets of draws made at about $20 per draw including new rails. Fitting the draws isn't hard but its getting the fronts lined up is the tricky part.

The reason you will in all likelyhood need new rails is that in the '80's they used ball bearing rails embedded in the actual side of the draw. These are really hard to refit (if you can actually get them), I just fit the rails that go on the bottom of the draw very easy to rescrew to the side of the cabinet with some simple (but carefull) measuring. Remember to use short screws as the board is only 16mm.

Each time I went back to my kitchen supplier and simply asked him to make the required item. This is a kitchen supplier who has the full factory set up and makes the kitchens on site.

I have since changed kitchen supplier and the latest supplier had some problems doing an additional request. More to the point the girl answering the phone had some problems, expressing the point the they are 'kitchen people' and only do whole kitchens but when I finally spoke to the boss no problems but I had already found and alternative.

So you will just need to hunt around and find a kitchen supplier who will cooperate. I would look at the 'discount' suppliers.

Cheers

Hi Handyandy

The insurance co. will usually cover the cost of the exploratary work to locate the leak,
cost to repair the damage but not the cost of repairing the pipe which is usually only a small cost.

Cheers

Pete

I had that situation in a small unit.
A pipe in the wall had a tiny leak at a soldered joint.
The water leaked into the kitchen cupboards and swelled the doors, shelves and draws, As well as plaster wall and left puddles on the floor.
Plumber found the leak and re-soldered. $50.
Insurance were going to repair drawers and doors but replaced WHOLE kitchen that was water damaged throughout:)

yes im with nathan !!! very funny, why didnt you use the dish washer???? silly thing you?
a maintenence guy might help you , or a second hand building supply shop , as most of those units are in standard sizes, loke 405mm 525mm etc you get the drift??
Good luck!

Definately try your local paper...... or adopt an older retired neighbour with work shop. :)

Or take a look at Bunnings. I think they sell standard size drawer kits.Maybe you'll get lucky. Maybe take the fronts down to the trade desk at Bunnings with your measurements and see what they can offer you as an easy DIY option..

Some of these jobs are just so small and fidddly and its so hard to find someone to do them that in the end you have no choice but to buy some basic tools and give it a go.

And thanks for the giggle :)

Back