Recommendation for whipper snipper

Well, the new house (new for us) has a 1000m² block, so I will be retiring Jim and starting to do my own lawns. (It will be too expensive, and the exercise will do me good! :eek:)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a domestic whipper snipper for generally light domestic work? I reckon the line will be OK; I can't see that I'd need to replace the line with a blade.

Thanks in advance.

I tried an electric one (Ryobi) and it was alright but broke not long after the warranty period expired. I replaced it with a petrol version from Trade Tools (straight shaft brush cutter/line trimmer, $198) which was much better value than any petrol trimmer I could find at Bunnings but is much heavier duty (2.5mm line, though I need to wear the harness if I don't want my arms to shake by the time I am finished my 670m2 block and a couple of median strips). However, Trade Tools make a curved shaft domestic type line trimmer for about $150 and based on my experience with the model up, I am happy to recommend their products- here is a link: http://www.tradetools.com/Catalogue/ProductView.aspx?ProductCode=CG260E

I have a 4-stroke Honda lawnmower and I am really pleased with it- I'd be happy to try their whipper snipper too as mentioned in the post above.

we've bought cheap ones and they seemed to break very quickly (one petrol, one electric)... so next time we're buying, I'd invest a bit more, and get a better quality one

stihl
have 2, brushcutter fs90, chainsaw MS180
start first time every time, dont break, do exactly what they promise
3 acre lot
3 acre lot
4 acre lot
1 acre lot
1 acre lot
6 town lot ¼ acre
bit higher price, but you only buy 1

Hey man!

I fix these thibgs quite often and use them alot on our acerage so I feel I have some good advice to offer.

Whipper snipper: The petrol Ryobi interchangeable model is great, very reliable and you can buy all the attachments like chainsaw, edge-cutter etc etc. It has served me very well and I use it for hours on end sometimes in stinking hot weather. 2.5 acre block with loads of trees and things to snip too. I keep the whole thing manicured all the way round.

If you're looking for a ride on I reccommend a zero turn depending on your block and spare cash. If you buy a second hand steering wheel ride on chances are the previous owner has started to encounter problems or knows something you don't.

Some ride on's develop pulley problems that burn out belts every few weeks which can be an hour to replace depending and $40 a belt. The deck gets worn and are gastly expensive to replace. Pulley bearing wear out and te pulleys can develop play. The steering bushes wear out etc etc. If you can I'd buy new.

Thanks, I'll go shopping today. I think I'll avoid Bunnings and Mitre10. I'll try Total Tools and a mower shop.

I was leaning towards Honda, but was unsure about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke.

investor2009 - When it comes to lawn mower, I'll be looking for a self-propelled rather than a ride-on. As a kid, Dad had a Honda. He was not mechanical at all, so the thing didn't get serviced EVER, other than top up (yes, top up, not change) the engine oil and occasionally replace the blades. But it started first time, every time for at least 10 years.

I have a couple of whipper snippers that do the edges and mowing on a large block. Unfortunately, they have to be 10 years old before they can operate a mower. You should have planned for this at least 10 years and 9 months ago.:p:D
When they turn 15, they are no longer interested, as they want to go off surfing or to the shops. That's when the next 10 year old whipper snipper should come online.

I have a 1020 block and the tenant I last had cheerfully watered the weeds after the previous one had allowed the lawn to largely die off.

I have a used [ex council?] Stihl, straight shaft 2.4 mm cord cutter and whenever it rains I cover the whole block digging out the weeds by the roots. To my eye bare dirt looks better than weeds. I may be paranoid about them but I see no value in simply mowing them, they thrive that way.

If you can spare the cash buy a good straight shaft Stihl with an automatic line feed using red cord. The bore is chromium steel and indestructible. Even if you use the wrong petrol and seize it, you pick the old piston bits from the bore and fit a new piston. With this you may find yourself doing as I do and trim much more than the edges. By the end of the weekend I will have done the whole of my block without starting the mower. Slower, but you don't walk as far nor sweat as much. :)

I'll be looking for a self-propelled rather than a ride-on.

A ride-on without a diff would be hopeless. The zero turning circle ones are expensive. Go for a Kubota 21" self propelled and disable any interlocks which keep shutting down the motor.

I have the FS200 and did a search on it to post the specs and found this:

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/stihl-fs-200.html

The poster said his was made in China. Worth checking. Mine has done an awful lot of work so I assume made in Sweden.

BTW Pay for good quality cord. The roll I got from the Stihl shop was pretty crappy. The standard red cord you buy at Bunnings snaps when you work it hard. I have just fitted a slightly smaller orange cord I bought on eBay and worked it for a couple of hours y'day without a break. Matched to the auto feed head there was no need to slow down for the two hours. :D

Aarrgh, now I'm confused. My budget was sort of $200-$300.

Total tools had some Stihls for $199 and $299; these are line trimmers, not brush cutters. I don't think I'll have a need for the brush cutter - not for an extra $100 or so. The sales guy recommended the Echo; they have a slightly smaller engine, but are better designed for replacing worn parts (rather than throw out and replace). These are all 2-strokes, which is annoying, but managable.

Then I went to Mowers Galore. The Husqvarna was not recommended (even though the brushcutters run the same Honda motor), they had the Echo, too, and "for the price, they are pretty good."

The Honda UMS425 was listed there for $429 (but it's on their website for $369) which is out of budget. But it sounds like a great machine, runs 4-stroke (much more convenient, as well as generally smoother running).

I wouldn't buy 2nd hand except from someone I know and trust - don't want to risk buying someone else's problem.

I think I will still check Bunnings/Mitre 10 :eek:. Just to check prices, if nothing else.

please...take it from me...(ex lawnmowing/gardening business operator)

spend the cash and u will never look back.
I guarrantee u that u will have problems with cheaper units.
DO NOT GO 2 stroke... only 4 stroke.
Get a Husqvarna or Honda (husky has honda motor) and get whipper with a split shaft with detachable ends so if u need a chainsaw or hedger u still use the same motor.
U may think that u will never need to use either of these attachments but u will one day and u will be thankful that u bought one of these split shaft models.

Bought an Echo GT2150 bent-shaft two-stroke about 6 years ago. Have had it serviced once only. Always starts very easily, does the job on a 900m2 block. Cost me $299 back then and still runs like a dream. Can't kill it.
If this thing ever dies, I'd buy another Echo tomorrow.
Just my 2c worth..
Amy

Another Echo fan here, it's getting up in years, is a SRM 2450, has gone like the clappers for any task I ask of it, never missing a beat. Has had a pizzling workwise, as in relatively constant, not just a bit weekend or monthly stuff. Possibly this model not even made anymore. I think it cost a bit at the time, but I have had more than my money's worth. I have had brilliant run with my echo, my push mower victa and rider mower (gone now) greenfield.

Just use a good dose of glyphosate, if you want a neat line or dont want to harm other plants just use something like a paint roller.

My advice is to make sure that whatever you buy has a 5 year warranty. It will cost more - but after buying cheaper units (like the cheap crap Ryobi that Bunnings sells) over the years I have learnt my lesson.

I finally stopped procrastinating and got the Echo GT22GES bent shaft 2-stroke for $239. Comes with a 5 year warranty. Got it out this afternoon on the neglected block of our current temporary accommodation. I like it so far. Only thing I'd like is a shoulder strap, but there's no clip for it.

Thanks for everyone who contributed - I just couldn't get up to $429 for the Honda 4 stroke. :eek:

The key thing for me in a whipper snipper would be something with a head that was easy to feed cord onto the setup you get on the cheap ones is horid and on a hot day whipper snipping the last thing you want to do is be messing with cord. I like the idea of the ones with pre cut pieces that slot in but havent used one.

Mate, l bought my brush cutter new on ebay. I'm wrapped with it and it cost around $140.00. Check it out. The brand was called "The Bush Beast". Type that into ebay and the page should come up. It was delivered on time and so far it hasn't missed a beat. I have a large block and it handles it with ease. Hope that helps.

Back