Recommended builders in SE Melbourne

Actually (and people may scoff at this) we used Simonds for a basic 4 bed spec house in the SE suburbs and they were very good (touch wood).

There are a range of local builders in this new display village and service and supplier centre down in Braeside that I am part of (I'm in the service section). It is called the Designer Homes Concept Centre www.designercentre.com.au. Each builder has built part of a home inside the warehouse and they offer a range of different things eg renovation, new home, dual occupancies.

Regards,

I asked for quotes from small builders but after 3-4 weeks, some of them appeared not get back to me with any quotes. Some of them never replied my email. I was tired of chasing them. What are your experience?

I asked for quotes from small builders but after 3-4 weeks, some of them appeared not get back to me with any quotes. Some of them never replied my email. I was tired of chasing them. What are your experience?

evisional,

You have to understand how builders operate. You can't just ring them up and say 'how much does it cost for you to build a 350sqm house for me?' Builders can only quote prices when they have the specifications for what you want to build, cause then they get their building estimator to price up the deal for them. This takes 1-2 weeks depending on how busy the builder is.

Therefore, I suggest you either a) go with a spec builder's pre-design and they can quote the job for you right away since all the pricing has already been done, or b) get a much better idea of what you want, then go see a builder and get a price quote properly done.

Hi Evisional,

What suburb are you looking to build in? Some metro melbourne volume builders have build zones which they wont go outside of.

Cheers,
Nathan

i think the question is what stage are you at.
do you have working drawings etc ready for the builder to spec out a price and permits already lodged through council?

most volume (spec) builders dont like custom builds, and many builders dont like working in 'infill' areas, where you have subdivided. You really need to talk to a smaller builder who will take on this type of job. Id start by getting recomendations from the team you assembled so far, the town planner, archetect etc. the price will no doubt be expensive, but in infill areas allowances need to be made for restricted site access etc, and custom builds will have diferent dimensions to the norm, which involve more cost. thats why they are called volume builders, they can bring down the price with 'volume'. Doing a one off is going to cost more.

i would just tender the job up in a site like

www.servicecentral.com.au

it really depends on where you are building as in location.

Normally some builders would want to work in areas that they are familiar or close by. i have build with a few builders in the past one house in wantirna south, one in vermont and now in PC.

there are some good builders out there but there are also some very dodgy ones.

Back