Recovering water usage...

Hi all,

Purchased 2 properties in Frankston, and have had them both for 1 year. I have other IPs in blue chip areas and purchased for the first time in Frankston. When purchasing the properties the existing tenants stayed on.

As the water bills came in I promptly paid them, not giving much thought to the amounts.

Last week received a total water bill for $314! That struck me as odd! Called the agent and found out that I have been paying water usage, which legally, has to be paid by the tenants! I was (obviously) quite annoyed when I relised I was paying for something I did not have to, and for a whole year! One tennant's water usage came to something like $170! Makes me suspicious of what activities are occurring down there but I won't ask questions for the moment...

Ofcourse things have been sorted out now, as I have promptly advised the water authorities where to send the bill! While talking to South East water, was advised that the tennants took themselves off the records of South East water (???).

I guess I can't blame the agents as they must not have had a clue.

Can I recover the water usage that I have already paid in the past year??? Agent says to forget about it, ofcourse she would - more work for her! Would like some genuine advice. Thanks.

Hi rabbaj,

I believe you are legally entitled to collect the money owed from the tenant. Just because you neglected to collect the money for 12 months does not mean you are not entitled to collect it later (you could, I believe, attempt to collect the money up to 6 years later just like any debt).

If the tenants refuse to pay perhaps you can collect the money from their bond when they leave.

If the lease includes payment of water usage by tenants and the meter reading was recorded then it appears that you should recover the amount you paid. If the tenants refuse to pay then get new tenants who will pay. With interest rates 'chewing' away profits it doesn't make sense to be paying any extras!

Back