Redcliffe ????

:rolleyes: Hi folks
I have been looking at Redcliffe. Does anyone know about or have opinions on Redcliffe (Bris). It is a nice little suburb not too far from Bris CBD. Any opinions on rental yeild, CG, areas to avoid, hot locations etc.
I have seen some recent data that is conficting, eg 12 mnth growth is either 1% or 10% according to API and QLD Property Investor mag. Any opinions on why these are so different and what the true figure might be?
Any recommendations for good/reliable RE agents in the area. :D
Cheers

Lucky

I have a 2 Bedroom villa in Redcliffe, Close to the hospital. I have had steady growth since purchasing in 2003, bought for 187K and got it valued at 220-225K by my real estate agent. (but 185K by the Bank :/)

Rental yields are average at best, originally mine was meant to fetch $190 p/w giving a just over 5% return, but I had to lower the rent to $170 p/w to entice a tennant, and she has been there ever since. I'm due for a rent increase next time she renews the lease!

Vacancy rates tend to fluctuate alot, last year there weren't enough rentals to go around. But recently my agent told me this year it's very slow, sometimes taking a month to rent out something. But nice places at a reasonable price rental quickly (there is alot of older/crappy places there still)

However, long term I think it should do well, there is limited land there and the council has done alot of work improving the forshore, beaches etc. I'm hoping baby boomers of Brisbane want to retire close to Brisbane, but with a more relaxed lifestyle. There is also alot of development happening aswell, massive unit blocks going up all the time with penthouses selling for 1 Million +

Hard to say really..

Hi

I live in Redcliffe and love it. I think the potential for capital gain is good over the next 5 years however the rental returns are very low. Units sell for 195k + and rent for about 170p/w +. The cheapest house sells for about 220k + and rents for 200p/w +. I am currently looking at Deception Bay area which is still on the water however accommodates a working class majority. The prices there are a wee bit cheaper; it is possible to find brick and tile around 10 years old for the 220k mark. The vacancy rate is higher out there however if the property is well presented it will rent quick.

you wont loose here it may just take a little time to win...

wbg

NSL
One of our 1st property investments was in Redcliffe. We've seen excellent CG which has enabled us to move into other areas. But as WGB mentioned rental yields aren't that great. Would have to agree with previous comments - all the money spent on foreshore development and unit block development can only lead to solid growth in the future. Can highly recommend our PM - let me know if you want the details.
Cheers
Elizabeth

not so lucky said:
:rolleyes: Hi folks
I have been looking at Redcliffe. Does anyone know about or have opinions on Redcliffe (Bris). It is a nice little suburb not too far from Bris CBD. Any opinions on rental yeild, CG, areas to avoid, hot locations etc.
I have seen some recent data that is conficting, eg 12 mnth growth is either 1% or 10% according to API and QLD Property Investor mag. Any opinions on why these are so different and what the true figure might be?
Any recommendations for good/reliable RE agents in the area. :D
Cheers

Lucky
have a look at this site there are a few for auction on the site with the
QLD Public Trustee at Redcliffe,sometimes the price is high with the
P/T but it gives you a guide about sales prices in that area.
www.pt.qld.gov.au.
good luck
willair

FrankGrimes said:
I have a 2 Bedroom villa in Redcliffe, Close to the hospital. I have had steady growth since purchasing in 2003, bought for 187K and got it valued at 220-225K by my real estate agent. (but 185K by the Bank :/)

Gee, that's not like a Real Estate agent to do....

Huge potential, close to Brisbane CBD, Cafe strip, "real" beaches, options other waterside (mud) can't offer. Longterm upside here. Obviously the developers are onto this.
SV Blueyonder

blueyonder said:
Huge potential, close to Brisbane CBD, Cafe strip, "real" beaches, options other waterside (mud) can't offer. Longterm upside here. Obviously the developers are onto this.
SV Blueyonder

Huh?

Real Beaches? compared to what? SE Qld'ers consider Maroochydore and Broadbeach to be real beaches. Redcliffe is rock and rough sand, and lots of lice in the summer seaweed, which stinks up the beach.

Close to Brisbane? hmmmm.....about an hour in peak. The Hornibook Hwy will get you every time.

Though agree my localness has blinded me to the opportunity in Redcliffe over the last decade. I'll always associate it with the tattoed bikies and bodgies that hung out down there in the 60s and 70s, and the memory of the bikie who bit the head of a live fish he just took off the end of his fishing rod on Redcliffe Jetty.

redcliffe is looking nicer than it ever has, but hasn't it already done a bolt price wise ? Those TV ads must have pushed the prices up surely ?

thefirstbruce said:
Huh?

Real Beaches? compared to what? SE Qld'ers consider Maroochydore and Broadbeach to be real beaches. Redcliffe is rock and rough sand, and lots of lice in the summer seaweed, which stinks up the beach.

Close to Brisbane? hmmmm.....about an hour in peak. The Hornibook Hwy will get you every time.

Though agree my localness has blinded me to the opportunity in Redcliffe over the last decade. I'll always associate it with the tattoed bikies and bodgies that hung out down there in the 60s and 70s, and the memory of the bikie who bit the head of a live fish he just took off the end of his fishing rod on Redcliffe Jetty.

I was told in 2000 that Redcliffe was " Deadcliffe " , unfortunately I listened so didn't buy the house of a double block , waterfront for $xxxx ( even thinking about writing it it makes me almost cry ).

Made me swear off depending on people who know an area really well....
I'll listen but then draw my own conclusions.

See Change

see_change said:
I was told in 2000 that Redcliffe was " Deadcliffe " , unfortunately I listened so didn't buy the house of a double block , waterfront for $xxxx ( even thinking about writing it it makes me almost cry ).

Made me swear off depending on people who know an area really well....
I'll listen but then draw my own conclusions.

See Change

Yes SC, it is an interesting phenomenon, that most don't see the opportunity of their local area, because they know about the 'warts 'n all'. Redcliffe's renaissance IMHO has been very much due to non locals buying the bayside dream conjured by spin meisters from far away. (well, it certainly wasn't a boom based on local money) The same spin has driven 1770, Agnes Waters, Yeppoon, Hervey Bay area etc etc. However, from my trips there, I see a lot of issues which would have me preferentially throwing my money at other locations such as Cleveland, Redland Bay, Kawana Island, Minyama, Peregian etc etc.

Redcliffe will take many years to shake off its welfare and working class roots; as so convincingly evidenced by the crowd at the local free public pool on the foreshore the other hot day....When you get 'west of Oxley', and into Kippa Ring, Rothwell, and Deception Bay, the demograhic isn't going to change anytime soon. And that will reflect on infrastructure for some time.

..and real employment opportunities will always be a long drive away up an ever more congested Gateway Arterial.

And the Brissie locals I know who have had a go at the baychange down there, have mostly moved back into Teneriffe, New Farm, and Newstead to rejoin their own (after pocketing the first wave of cg.).

The latte set I know down there these days are heavily represented by English, Kiwis, and Southerners. And I think many of them are wondering where all the other smart baychangers are???? That thought usually crosses their minds about 18 months after the smugness of buying "east of Oxley" wears off.

Nevertheless, as I am so discouragingly learning to accept, PI is not all about whether an area is what it is imagined to be. Redcliffe was yet another reminder that PI or at least speculation, is more about identifying trends and 'flavour of the months', no matter how misinformed, and being there first, and not being there last when Ponzi's hordes ease off.

In fact, it would probably be a reasonable property trading strategy to gain one's tips from a survey of API, Personal Investor, BRW etc, and from listening to the chatter over lattes at Balmoral Beach, Neilsen's Park, St Kilda, and Sth Yarra. The chattering class usually have the time and motivation to discover new spots via such media, and Ponzi's hordes usually follow soon after.

After all, there can only be so many hot spots to park your money each quarter. And there can only be so many avenues to find out where those spots are. Actually, it would be interesting to identify how long an area remains a hotspot, how long before interest and prices ease off, and another hotspot starts grabbing the attention of the national media, the smart money, and finally Ponzi's Hordes. Would be a very interesting media study, and quite profitable too I imagine.

Places do change.

I wonder what Frankston will be like in another twenty years time as well. That's another places that has a reputation.

There were some very down market places on Sydneys Mid northern beaches twenty years ago.

Narrabeen etc are now expensive and acceptable, though obviously the beaches are nicer;) .

See Change

Frankston. broadmeadows, seaford, i'm so confident i don't even think i need a crystal ball for those suburbs.

I agree that places change, but Redcliffe will never be Noosa, at least aesthetically. Though the English don't compare it with Noosa. They compare it with English beaches, and the Kiwis and Southerners probably similar.

As for me, I was an avid surfer and informed environmentalist when younger, and know my beaches. I surfed Narra for the first time when I was 9. And had pics all over my walls of Aust's great surf spots- Kirra, Greenmount, Burleigh, Noosa, Surfers, Angourie, Bell's, Margaret River, Byron, Hasting's Pt, and a hundred beach breaks in between. Terry Fitzgerald (Hot Buttered Surfboards) from down your way was one of my heroes, and Midget Farelly, Shaun Thompson, Nat Young etc... So there's no compromise in my mind on what is a beautiful beach and environment. Which probably blinds me to the potential of the Redcliffes.

When I was in Frankston 18 months ago, I liked the outlook and the foreshore, though not some of the local wildlife :rolleyes:. And didn't think it was that far out of Melbourne, esp with the new road system.

Redcliffe on the other hand is suffering like all of Greater Brisbane's northside from appalling neglect or apathy about infrastructure. The roads, esp on the northside are quickly getting locked up with the population growth. The solution is always to throw another set of lights in, unsynched of course. This will only serve to isolate the Peninsula from the city and the Sunshine Coast, with a string of lights servicing the burgeoning underclasses that envelope the Peninsula.

Nevertheless, my negative thoughts probably won't be a consideration for 10 years. In the short term, there is probably some good gains to be had by those in the right place at the right time. And just maybe, Redcliffe will continue to evolve towards a cool bayside retirement location, close to all the services discriminating baby boomers will need in the next 20 years.

thefirstbruce said:
I agree that places change, but Redcliffe will never be Noosa, at least aesthetically. Though the English don't compare it with Noosa. They compare it with English beaches, and the Kiwis and Southerners probably similar.

As for me, I was an avid surfer and informed environmentalist when younger, and know my beaches. I surfed Narra for the first time when I was 9. And had pics all over my walls of Aust's great surf spots- Kirra, Greenmount, Burleigh, Noosa, Surfers, Angourie, Bell's, Margaret River, Byron, Hasting's Pt, and a hundred beach breaks in between. Terry Fitzgerald (Hot Buttered Surfboards) from down your way was one of my heroes, and Midget Farelly, Shaun Thompson, Nat Young etc... So there's no compromise in my mind on what is a beautiful beach and environment. Which probably blinds me to the potential of the Redcliffes.

When I was in Frankston 18 months ago, I liked the outlook and the foreshore, though not some of the local wildlife :rolleyes:. And didn't think it was that far out of Melbourne, esp with the new road system.

Redcliffe on the other hand is suffering like all of Greater Brisbane's northside from appalling neglect or apathy about infrastructure. The roads, esp on the northside are quickly getting locked up with the population growth. The solution is always to throw another set of lights in, unsynched of course. This will only serve to isolate the Peninsula from the city and the Sunshine Coast, with a string of lights servicing the burgeoning underclasses that envelope the Peninsula.

Nevertheless, my negative thoughts probably won't be a consideration for 10 years. In the short term, there is probably some good gains to be had by those in the right place at the right time. And just maybe, Redcliffe will continue to evolve towards a cool bayside retirement location, close to all the services discriminating baby boomers will need in the next 20 years.

Bruce,
I was also an avid surfer, and still am. Who ever suggested that Redcliffe would be another Noosa?
I have surfed all the spots that you had on your wall and then some (lots some even now unnamed apart from what i and others call them). No one suggested that the peninsular compared to Noosa or elsewhere.

The reality is that the the Redcliffe peninsular has the best beaches and waterfront areas in close proximity to BNE.

Not saying they are up there with Noosa or Main Beach but tell me of another suburb within 20k's of BNE CBD that you *can* swim at without sinking your feet into mud!

Scarborough was voted the most family friendly beach in QLD in 2005. What says that???

The peninsular has tremendous potential and I know that will be qualified in great CG in the years to come.

It simply has it all over other BNE suburbs from a water/waterfront point of view in regard to anything else Bribane has to offer.

Simple as that.

SV BY

BY, I appreciate your sentiments for Redcliffe.
However, I stand by the points I made that there is little commerce opportunity down that way. THe suburbs surrounding Redcliffe will be down market for generations to come, roads off the peninsula will be compromised for decades, especially to the city. I doubt I'll live to see a train down there. As for Scarborough beach, it might be fine for the locals, but Bribie and the Sunshine Coast offer real beaches, with clean safe fine sand. One has to watch out for rock, coral, poisonous shells, stonefish down on the Peninsula. And then there is the lice and seaweed brought in by the NE'ers..

Where'd I agree with you about potential most though, is with the potential of Redcliffe Hospital services to improve. I worked there around 8 years ago (and have many friends there still), and they are unfortunately understaffed, and have a high workload due to the high level of pensioners, welfare and working class residents in the region, which includes Caboolture. It pays to remember that governments are reticient to throw money into regions where there is comparativley few tax dollars harvested.

Further, Redcliffe is a running joke amongst young doctors. It's the last place in the world they want to do their internship. It is still considered a tacky underclass by Brisbane elites.

Personally, I feel the beaches of Sandgate and Brighton are more user friendly than the Peninsula, and that's where the windsurfers and kytesurfers hang out. The beaches there aren't actually mud. You should try walking down there at low tide. It's a great place to run your dog or kids.

But you will probably have enough people agree with you to see redcliffe prices move steadily up over the next 10 years. I suppose I am arguing that the super affluent will always prefer somewhere more aesthetic, and not so close to welfare.

Beaches

I have recently spent a bit of time in the Clontarf Beach/Scarborough area with work recently & have used Beachhouse accomodation there while working in the area. I also have investment property in Bribie Island. I looked at both these areas when purchasing and for me, there was no comparison. Bribie won hands down. I love the place.
JIM

Elizabeth L said:
NSL
One of our 1st property investments was in Redcliffe. We've seen excellent CG which has enabled us to move into other areas. But as WGB mentioned rental yields aren't that great. Would have to agree with previous comments - all the money spent on foreshore development and unit block development can only lead to solid growth in the future. Can highly recommend our PM - let me know if you want the details.
Cheers
Elizabeth
Hi Elizabeth
Can i please get the details of your property manager? How much do they charge?

Back