Redfern update

nice to see some more activity on this thread :)

to be honest looking at the prices of properties in "east" redfern, i dont see this as an under-rated suburb anymore. baptist and kepos streets are 2 fine examples that come to mind.

i take onboard investors point and sure streets like hugo and eveleigh street may never change, though i find it unlikely given the suburbs close proximity to the city and neighboring suburbs like surry hills and paddington.

think i might start a new thread on surry hills, paddington and darlinghurst for along with redfern, these are my favs :)

julie

Hi Investor,

I find this thread quite entertaining.

The property I posted on before-8 Walker Street, Redfern is equidistant between Central station (southern entrance) and Redfern station. It is also one of the more average streets in "East Redfern".

Even if its not an official suburb, the words "East Redfern" describe certain streets, and most of the properties in this area are quite presentable (some are very presentable).

I also believe Redfern has the strongest potential for further price appreciation out of the inner city suburbs-Redfern, Surry Hills and Darlinghurst.

Its a bit like being a contrarian when buying stocks. If most people think that a certain stock is the stock to be in its too late. Nothing like dissent (and some negativity) to get a contrarian investor interested.

Ajax

liked brogden's suggestion in yesterday's telegraph about bulldozing the "block" at redfern. if that was his only policy i'd vote him in on that alone.

julie

I would vote for him as well! I rent out my 2nd bedroom and I have not had anyone since November last year. And I am very selective, I wait for family or friends to recommend someone and I never advertise. I had someone lined up but they rang last night and said they changed their mind. I bet it was due to the riots as he was from the central coast and probably thought that my place was near the "block" which it certainly is not!!

I am going to chat with my neighbours and see if they are still trying to make East Redfern an actual suburb. Calling it Moore Park would be great as Kepos/Baptist and the surrounding streets have absolutely nothing in common with "the block" and other blackspots.

Another thing.. Why is "the Block" a part of Redfern? IMHO it should be considered Darlington with Regent Street being the border.

Redfern station should be ranamed Darlington Station..

Hi Julie,

I know one of the owners of 8 Walker Street quite well and have been inside this property on many occasions (though not in recent years when it was let).

This is a good property imo. Larger inside than 6 Walker Street. Good sized roof space as well if ever you try for an attic conversion. The pictures on realestate.com.au give you a good idea of what it offers. It's definitely worth a look.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...2&f=0&p=30&t=res&ty=&snf=rbs&cu=&fmt=&header=

Cheers Ajax

Last edited:
Block News

HI All

East Redfern does exist in the minds of inner city DINK, YUPPIES & GAYS as we all know the difference between Bourke St and Everleigh St. Same for Strawberry Hills in Surry Hills and Kings Cross in Potts Point and Elizabeth Bay. PS the Cross is not a suburb.

And...

If you lived in East Redfern you don’t get there by train but bus it is a very wide suburb. If I lived in there I would push hard for a change to Moore Park being adjacent to the golf courses and such,

Whilst the riot has put is back, it could be blessing in disguise. I sense the State Gov may take the opportunity to get tough and effectively bulldoze the place. They have been wanting to for a long time and one of the biggest defenders, South Sydney Council, is no more.

BY the way

The Governor Marie Bashir opens the new multi $$$ community centre this Friday I think. Right in the heart of the Block. Keep watching the news.

Regards Peter 147

whats your price prediction ajax?

does the building concave in at the rear like 6 walker st? just answered that question (yes) by looking at the floorplan on the site you suggested :)

julie

Hi Julie,

the property does not get too much narrower at the rear. The front of the property (the garden area) gets narrower towards the street.

I'd estimate around the $600k mark, though last Monday's events may scare a few potential purchasers away. I agree with Peter that there may be some good that comes from this riot-there are a lot of infrastructure changes planned for Redfern and residents and businesses won't tolerate this antisocial behaviour.

Ajax

"think i might start a new thread on surry hills, paddington and darlinghurst for along with redfern, these are my favs"

Alpina

Would like to see this thread expanded into these areas also. I am also a bit of a fan of Erskineville, Balmain, Rozelle. Perhaps we could make it an inner east and west forum.

Despite a lot of what has been said in this forum, I tend to agree with Investor. Redfern has got a major stigma problem and until the block goes that ain't gunna change. Consequently, with the exception of some of the prime streets in East Redfern, I would expect values to be held back and therefore it wont get my hard earned.

alpina said:
hi ajax,

noticed that 8 walker street was passed in at $500k

julie

Hi Julie,

yep. This auction was disappointing for the vendors. Only two bidders had registered. When the auctioneer called for bids to start the auction no-one bid. When the auctioneer asked again an unregistered bidder bid $350k.

The auctioneer then accepted a vendors' bid of $500k. There were no further bids and the property was passed in.

I went through the property before the auction (first time I had seen it after it had been painted, recarpeted etc). A well presented property. It would rent for about $400/week.

Ajax

Reading the Sunday papers trying to catch up on the news that Ive missed and I noticed an address I remembered.

8 Walker St went to auction again this weekend and was passed in at $500K again- the note was AUHB not vendor bid but who knows.

Signs of the times??

No bid at 500K renting 400wk

Interesting, I sold in SH for 570k renting for 400wk in July 2003. Much has changed then it seems....

Peter 147

Redfern east

Hi everyone,

Has anyone checked out 1 Zamia St in east Redfern or 25 and 27 Morehead St East Redfern. I think 1 Zamia went to auction about 6 months ago and they are now pricing it in the range of $475-525. 27 Morehead goes to auction next Saturday....

Thanks

Bobby

hi bobby,

i checked out both 25 and 27 morehead rd over the weekend as well as another property that backs on the street but fronts of cleveland with DA plans submitted for expansion - not a big fan of cleveland road due to noise so left that one alone.

25 morehead is an 2 level terrace and 27 is a 4 level terrace (2 years old) with garage. 27 is a strata townhouse with 3 in the block - strata fees are approximately $180pq and cover insurance. my guess is that 25 will sell mid $5's and 27 low 6's.

sure ajax will have an opinion on these :)

julie

Alpina,

Thanks... I might look at Morehead during the week...what did you think of 1 Zamia Street, it's a bit close to the ghetto in Young street, by memory they want $535??? Are u going to the Steve Navra seminar Saturday week???

Bobby

Back