Regretted buying an IP

Neutral events hey! Ok let me try and get my head around the logic here. It appears to me that this argument relies on the theory that in its most simple form that an event is neutral because the event itself is just something 'that happens' and is not inherently positive or negative in itself.

Eg, If it rains on a particular day one person might be upset because they're going to the footy and their team doesn't play well in the wet, a supporter for the opposition team might be happy about this because his team plays well in the wet, and a supporter going to a different game in a stadium with a roof doesn't care because the rain wont affect his game either way.

So I guess you could argue that events are, when looked as simply an isolated event, in themselves neutral. But to be honest who cares! I'm concerned about how the event will effect me! So isn't it the effect of the event on the individual that matters? That is, whether the event results in a positive, neutral or negative experience to the individual.

Don't tell me that this is just mindset.

Eg - If BLOGGS is a happily married family man with two lovely kids. Lets take for granted that this individual has no reason to want anything bad to happen to his family. A drunk driver crashes into their family car and kills his entire family leaving him alive but badly injured.

THIS IS A NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE for this particular individual! Yes, people react differently to the experience. You could argue that he could count himself lucky to be alive. But that is a matter of opinion only. Even if this event changes the course of his life such that he achieves other positive things as a result. Eg, he may compete in the Disabled Olympics and win a gold medal. But the initial experience is still extremely negative and it doesn't change that fact for him.

Yes in some circumstances you can find positives, or learn lessons, but that doesn't necessarily make the experience itself any less negative. It just means the individual is making the most of the situation whether it be a negative situation or a positive one. How someone reacts to a situation doesn't change the nature of the situation itself.

Things 'are what they are' to any particular individual at that time in their specific circumstances. Once you know the circumstances (variables are set) then there is a result for that individual that only changes if you change the circumstances.

It seems to me that people struggle with accepting the fact that individuals will experience positive and negative things in life and that they are not always in control of what happens to them. Yes you can get on with life (if you can) and learn from some experiences (where you can) but events have positive, neutral or negative effects on individuals to varying degrees depending on their specific circumstances.

Whether or not the 'event' itself is neutral in it's strictest sense seems irrelvant to me. We're talking about how things effect us. Our emotions result from an event, they don't change the event after it's already happend. The notion that a person could simply change the way they emotionally react to an experience and therefore change the positive or negativeness of the experience itself seems absurd to me. BLOGGS couldn't say in his circumstances, "I choose to be happy about about the unlawful and completely unecessary killing of my family" and make the experience a positive one! The experience is still what it is.

The suggestion (if this is the suggestion that some are making) that you can make a negative experience positive simply by telling yourself so seems to me to be ridiculous. I'd call this 'denial'. It's a self defence mechanism that prevents people from facing reality. I'll be settling for what I consider a healthy acceptance that negative things do happen (just like positive ones do) and you just have to deal with them as best you can in the circumstances.

My opinions for what they're worth.

MF35

Reactions: ani
Originally posted by MF35
The notion that a person could simply change the way they emotionally react to an experience and therefore change the positive or negativeness of the experience itself seems absurd to me.

Hey MF35,

We all choose how we react to situations everyday.

To use a simply example, if your boss asked you to make them a cup of coffee, you'd likely choose to react differently than if a customer asked you to make them a cup of coffee or a total stranger asked you to do it. You're also likely to respond differently if the boxx has just hired you than if the boss had just fired you.

If the person you want to spend the rest of your life with accidentally hit you in the face, you're likely to react differently than if a stranger in a pub hit you accidentally in the face.

You can come up with lots of examples where people react differently depending on what behaviour they feel is appropriate given the situation. This doesn't mean you are suppressing your feelings, it means you are moderating them for the situation.

Read some buddhist philosophy or Anthony Robbins - you can choose!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

It's interesting where some threads lead to, one of the aspects I like about this forum.

The previous discussion has highlighted one thing. The human mind is amazingly complex.

Also that it is difficult to set down "rules" that should apply as to how we should think ie a + b =c.

We each have very strong filtering and reference traits, from which we build a framework to react.

No one can tell another person how they should think, whether it be positive , negative or otherwise.

We can however learn, and broaden our framework, if that's what we want, and that may change how we think about certain situations.

Thankfully we are not all budhists, Robins clones or anything else, the world needs individuals who can make up they own mind how to think and react to situations.

Gee, you know what, I feel more positive already (I think).:p

GarryK

Acey I think you're missing my point on this one.

We might react differently in the circumstances you've described because they "are different circumstances". Of course someone would react differently to a different sitation. Eg - if you were getting sacked or being hired. This is not an example of them excersicing their control and changing the experience from a negative one to a positive one. Its just a different sitation.

My focus was on whether a Particular Event, in Specific Circumstances (not different ones), is a negative, neutral or positive experience for the individual. You might react with different degrees of displeasure to the same event (minor problems anyway) depending on how bad your day had been, how tired you are etc (even this however could be argued as being in different circumstances). But it wouldn't change the fact that the same event in the same circumstances still causes you a negative experience in general.

If the argument you present is correct, then no matter how bad the event, and no matter how negative my experience with the event was, I could simply choose to make the events effect on me a positive one. So if I was BLOGGS from my previous car accident example (in previous post) it wouldn't effect me negatively at all that my whole family had been killed. Somehow I could just filter out the negative experience of that and make it positive.

I'm still yet to hear any logic that supports this theory. Sounds like an act of God to me.

If someone was to try and kill me that would be a negative experience for me, No matter how enlightened I thought I was.

MF35

A slightly differnet spin on this.....

Although I cannot choose all the things that will happen to me, I can choose how I respond to these things.

ie. Negative, positive and inconsequential things will happen, but in the end, I choose how I repond to these. I can take the positives,or the negatives.

ps. Acey, ask that para-olympian if they'd choose that, and if they saw the loss of a limb as a neutral exercise. I applaud there resolution to rise above the loss, but I'm sure they'd say it's a negative... Of course, I could be wrong.....And maybe Mr Bloggs wanted to be single ? ;)

Cheerio

Simon.

ps. I still agree with the sentiment, but not the statement. We choose how we respond to things. It's not always easy to be positive.

Hello
My ego took a bit of a hit when after spending the last 6 months renovating a massive house I was told I will be lucky to get 500K.
I purchased the house in mid 99 for 260K, the hit came when he said "gees if you had spent that money on 10 slums in Elizabeth back then, you would be a millionare by now" and I would not have even had to lift a spanner to get it!
Still It could have been worse , I could have chosen to not buy anything.

Just a thought and a bit off the topic, but how about assigning ranks to the top users eg:
Top user - The Admiral
2nd user - The general
3rd user - the big giant head
Top 5 - 50 users - Clingons
51 - 100 - Wallnuts
100 and above - peons

Last edited:
adaran01 said:
Hello
My ego took a bit of a hit when after spending the last 6 months renovating a massive house I was told I will be lucky to get 500K.
I purchased the house in mid 99 for 260K
Ouch.

How massive is massive?

Could it be split to provide cashflow?

And don't take it as a personal think- property is not personal.

how about assigning ranks to the top users eg:
Top user - The Admiral
2nd user - The general
3rd user - the big giant head
Top 5 - 50 users - Clingons
51 - 100 - Wallnuts
100 and above - peons
"top" users- on quantity or quality?

The new release of the board software allows rating of a user. It should give a rating based much more on quality.

And you might get an argument from our defence memebers as to whether an Admiral is above General.

Actually, I think Specific is above General.

So that would make it

Admiral Geoffw
General Aceyducey
the big giant head Rolf Latham

And from there it's Clingons all the way down!

Cheers,

General Aceyducey

I suppose, being relatively new to the forum and PI in general, that would make me a Tribble?

Aceyducey said:
So that would make it

Admiral Geoffw
General Aceyducey
the big giant head Rolf Latham

And from there it's Clingons all the way down!

Cheers,

General Aceyducey

Back