Religious beliefs

Hey all,

IS THIS FOR REAL????
Jas!

Hi Jas,

a quick google search showed the following result:

Why do we go to church on Saturday?

We go to church on Saturday because it is the biblical day of worship. God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh. God's law, as expressed in the Ten Commandments, requires us to observe the seventh-day Sabbath, or Saturday, as a day of worship, rest and ministry. The Sabbath starts from sunset on Friday and finishes at sunset on Saturday.

So for them Saturday=Sunday i.e. they don't work on a saturday. However, there should not be any reason why they can't let anyone work :D. as long as it doesn't bother them.

Last edited:
I just have trouble with people picking the bits of the bible they wish to follow and conveniently forgetting the rest.

Isn't there something in the bible about not wearing clothing made of two types of fabric, ie, silk and cotton, together. Do some people follow this rule? If not, why not?

it's a rotting patio here folks.

could come down in any heavy wind if the rot is around fixings.

could cause further damage toother parts of the property, or worse, injury to people.

maybe make them aware of the fact that it is structurally unsound and needs to come down and/or be replaced - if you haven't already.

if it was just fixing a leaky tap, or minor work - i'd call someone out on the Sunday. but a big job requires trades WANTING to work - and they dont WANT to work on a Sunday.

tenants rights are all well and good, but not at the expense of common sense and duty of care.

if they put up a fight with me about a situation like this, it'd be 6 weeks notice served then and there.

and lets stay on topic shall we? if we are to debate SDAs, take it to the B.B.Q. thread.

I just have trouble with people picking the bits of the bible they wish to follow and conveniently forgetting the rest.

Isn't there something in the bible about not wearing clothing made of two types of fabric, ie, silk and cotton, together. Do some people follow this rule? If not, why not?

all that type of stuff is old testament, which is more or less a history book...Leviticus - which is the book most people refer to when they try and use verses against tolerance and stuff like that - is a book of old testament law - laws made by the Jewish high priests of the day - they are not laws of today, though some of them are mentioned in the new testament and are hence followed to this day like the ten commandments...

but generally, old testament laws etc are regarded as laws of the day and not intended to be followed by Christians (remembering Christians technically didn't exist until 2000 years ago).

hope this helps,
cheers,
UC

I would be going and getting the job done as quickly as you are able to do...

I don't know the law in NSW, but i would be fairly certain that you are allowed emergency repairs without consent etc... check that out!!!

I am all for peoples beliefs and customs, but it is your butt if that thing comes down on their kids!!

I would be going and getting the job done as quickly as you are able to do...

I don't know the law in NSW, but i would be fairly certain that you are allowed emergency repairs without consent etc... check that out!!!

I am all for peoples beliefs and customs, but it is your butt if that thing comes down on their kids!!

Exactly..... and with the Churchie lunch disaster that happened today, perhaps they need to be told that you are coming in when it suits you.

I hear a friend has a gash to the head, but haven't heard yet how bad she is. Fingers crossed.

Due to the way the christian religion views the new and old testaments, the above being from the old.

That's why not

You must have 'trouble' with an awful lot of people then

Not really, but I just don't understand how some people pick and chose what they will take from the bible, and live their life by those things, whilst ignoring the things that might not suit them :rolleyes:.

who are the 'people' you are talking about though ? every follower fo the christian religion = a lot of people

I don't really know everybody in the world jaycee.....:rolleyes:

I am talking about the people in MY life who follow their rules about religion, picking out bits of the bible that suit their lifestyle, and ignoring the bits that don't suit them.

For a famous example, Al Capone was apparently quite religious, went to church on Sundays etc. What about "thou shalt not kill"? Did he just not read that bit? Or did it not suit HIS lifestyle?

And one example from MY life..... Years ago a friend of my mother's had a little daughter who drank some bleach. She had two other toddlers and needed to rush this girl to the hospital. She ran over the road to her very church-going neighbour to ask that she baby sit the other two littlies while she went to the hospital. The very church-going neighbour told her she could not do that as she was baking "FOR THE CHURCH"!!!!!

My thoughts (like someone else) were, if Saturday is their holy day one would think they would be at church when you were doing the work anyway. And what about you, for all they know your holy day could be Sunday and you wouldn't want to work on that day. Obviously they don't give a rodents nether region about what you may or may not believe.

Then again maybe they just don't want you there on a Saturday for whatever reason and are using their religious beliefs as an excuse. Wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

I don't really know everybody in the world jaycee.....:rolleyes:

I am talking about the people in MY life who follow their rules about religion, picking out bits of the bible that suit their lifestyle, and ignoring the bits that don't suit them.

For a famous example, Al Capone was apparently quite religious, went to church on Sundays etc. What about "thou shalt not kill"? Did he just not read that bit? Or did it not suit HIS lifestyle?

And one example from MY life..... Years ago a friend of my mother's had a little daughter who drank some bleach. She had two other toIn thoose ddlers and needed to rush this girl to the hospital. She ran over the road to her very church-going neighbour to ask that she baby sit the other two littlies while she went to the hospital. The very church-going neighbour told her she could not do that as she was baking "FOR THE CHURCH"!!!!!

Yes, some people are idiots, few dney this fact. I of course was reffering to the tenants in this discussion and how the fact that as a 7thDay Adventist, following the Satruday sabbath rule, but not following the not wearing clothes of mixed fabrics or whatever rule was not hypocritical.

the little kids were probably safer with mum than the lady you mention above with obviously no common sense,

Back