Relocate a gas meter, help.

I want to fence up the sideyard, but major trouble is, the gas meter is within the intended fence, at the back of the house.

I could relocate the gas meter to outside the fence, but it is 6 - 7m away. How much would this cost me?

Property is an IP, and I don't know if it is connected to any particular gas company at the moment. So who should I call to get a quote??

why not just leave it where it is? Have you been told by a gas company to move it?

It would be no different to a meter reading coming in a gate to read the electrity meter

But, if you want to move it find a plumber. as your shortening the line, its a matter if digging down to the point where you want the meter to go and bring it out of the ground to the meter. BUT the problem you have is that any plumber/gas fitter that touches any of your gas lines (or installs a gas applaince) needs to check ALL gas lines in the property before he can sign off the new work, no matter how minor! its best to leave it as if it is an old serice in working order moving the meter may just cost a heck of a lot more if they find minor infringements of the code that need to be rectified before it can be conneccted.

Best to leave it. Unless it needs repair

We have had gas meters moved before for rentals - various reasons. We called the gas companies to do it directly.

Can't give you costs!

Moving the gas meter can give rise to other issues as well - eg increased distance to instantaneous hwu will cause a loss of pressure and functionality of the HWU (cold showers)

A plumber cannot move the meter, it has to be done by the gas company. The plumber will move the pipe work that connects after the meter. Also 6-7m shouldn't effect gas pressure a great deal. A plumber can calculate the required pipe sizes before you move and tell you whether you will need to upsize the pipes.

I heard that it is actually not required by law that gas meter must be outside the fence.

So say as long as the tenant is happy to take estimated readings, then for the annual actual reading, they just have to lead the meter-man via the front door, to the patio door, out to the sideyard to do the reading.

Another point: this won't affect valuation? I am intending to refinance once renovation is done.

Can someone confirm the above? I need to get the main work going soon next week, but worried about this potential hidden cost of needing to move the meter.

what state or city is it in? Call the gas company for that area. Or a gas fitter, it depends on where the meter in question is. NSW is different to VIC etc etc

I doubt the valuer would even care if the gas meter was inside the fridge. Gas in property - tick. done.

what state or city is it in? Call the gas company for that area. Or a gas fitter, it depends on where the meter in question is. NSW is different to VIC etc etc

I doubt the valuer would even care if the gas meter was inside the fridge. Gas in property - tick. done.

Melbourne, Brimbank City Council. Gas distributor is SP AusNet. I emailed Ausnet to ask too.

That fridge comment. :D

Back