Remove Easement

Hiya

I have a property which has an easement (for draining water and electricity cabling) down the length of my side boundary 2m wide from the boundary fence.

The back neighbour created this private easement 10 years ago for his property behind me. I half suspected he never put in any pipes or any cables. I have checked with council and came up with nothing. I got a surveyor friend there to just have a peek and he could not see anything too. (Qn: how do i confirm?)

THe owner can never build on that land anyway (power transmission lines).

Now, it seems he may be agreeable to remove this easement...

Questions:

1) Is it worth doing it? (i am thinking future sale of land but maybe it is good to have a stormwater easement?!!)
2) How do i do it? Are the costs prohibitive?

thanks so much:)

There's really no point. An easement for sewerage/electrical cabling doesn't affect the value of the land because it is very normal for blocks that don't have street frontage at the rear. You'd just be throwing money away.

Easement

Thanks Aaron

I do not understand your statement "it does not affect the value"??

This easement was created to run through my property and i have just confirmed there is nothing down under...i was given to understand if i could remove it (on paper), it will be much easier to sell my land???:confused:

This easement was created to run through my property and i have just confirmed there is nothing down under...i was given to understand if i could remove it (on paper), it will be much easier to sell my land???:confused:

It takes a lot of time and effort to remove an easement as you need a licensed surveyor to make any changes to land. And you won't realise an increase in land value either...

THe owner can never build on that land anyway (power transmission lines).

These would affect the value more than an easement.

What you have to work out is how much your property is worth as is ... and how much it would be worth if you could build on the extra space. How big is the block? Is it subdividable? You can build things like driveways etc over easements, just not buildings.

As to your question - No idea. Contact the local council and see if they can point you in the right direction.

Back