Rendering of new house

Our builder has just suggested rendering the whole of the new house to be built shortly as it is one of the last remaining blocks on the developement. They also developed the land so have built the majority of the houses in the estate. It is a corner block and will cost an extra $2000 to do if we go ahead with it.
It will be our 2nd Ip on the same estate same buider, other than the obvious painting job required every so many years is it worth doing? Or should we just pick out the bricks that complement the surrounding homes and stay with brick?

Your thoughts and advice is most welcome

Thankyou

JPS25

extra $2000?

What the hell is he charging for the brickwork? he is obviously making money on you on other things.

Personally for me the whole aim for an IP is the least maintenance unless there is a improvement in the return.
Render is just another thing to have to upkeep and in most cases it does not add any extra to the rent.

Sheesh - looking at around $40k to do my house (large double story). Can your guy come and do it for me for $2k?

Render or not? Depends on the area, your future plans for the house and the style.

Sheesh - looking at around $40k to do my house (large double story). Can your guy come and do it for me for $2k?

Render or not? Depends on the area, your future plans for the house and the style.

So would you go ahead and do it then Lizzie??
Trying to get an answer out of hubby, he works away, he's not sure is all I got out of him he was more interested in going to play his game of cricket with the lads.

A lot of properties were rendered back home in the Uk just not sure how they stand up against the hotter weather here in Queensland, house is being built in south west queensland.

They are local builders/developers only really do out that way sorry

Dont worry about the extra 2k.

The builder must be jacking up the prices on the bricklaying and bricks and balancing it around with the render.

Example.A brickie may charge $700-$800 to lay 1000 bricks, builder probably charging $1000.

Probably also jacking up prices on bricks/sand-cement/ dampcourse etc.

Thanks for all the comments.

We have decided to stay with brick due to the fact it is an IP and will be less maintainance down the track

Thanks again

It is a new house. That means the builder can use a very cheap brick if you are going to renter it. May be the cost is $2000 extra.
He can even use different left overs from shops... you will never know :)

Are you sure they meant render for $2k or bag it for $2k.

Totally different kettle of fish.

Bagging render (i.e not a smooth flat finish) would/could be around that.

Render, I think they've cut you somewhere else or its been mistakenly identified.

It if its $2k. Congrats. Deal of the week.

Hi

Ok the $2000 was on top of the already fixed price contract for a new investment property, so this is what they said we would need to pay above our already agreed contract price. This is why it seems low as stated above the type of brick used wouldn't have to be factored in they could use anything. They are also the developers of the estate and are nearing the end of it now, not many more to be built. They have built the majority of homes but not all on the estate.

Yes I agree it does or would give street appeal, but at the end of the day we want to hold it long term so there will be maintainance further down the track which as an IP we don't really want.

Also when we do eventually sell it may not be everyone's cup of tea and therefore limit the number of possible buyers interested in it.

It is in a corner position with lots of street access so the builders wanted to make it stand out which is why they offered to do it in render and yes it was going to be the whole house not just the front.

We have decided to go with brick instead, it will be our second Ip on this estate the first being in stage one and this in stage 2.

Thanks very much for your helpful advice and comments we are still very new to this so was very appreciated.

JPS25

Again this is just a personal opinion but for me a nice brick gives more appeal.
I prefer the more random coloring rather than a solid wall of one color. ie Cream with red highlights.

Again this is just a personal opinion but for me a nice brick gives more appeal.
I prefer the more random coloring rather than a solid wall of one color. ie Cream with red highlights.

Actually it's quite common these days for townhouses to have half rendered (on top) and half brick (on the bottom). I don't think it looks nice at all but I'm not the buyer...

Actually it's quite common these days for townhouses to have half rendered (on top) and half brick (on the bottom). I don't think it looks nice at all but I'm not the buyer...

I thought it was a type of clad on the top to reduce the building cost. Didn't think someone would do that to make it look nice :)

Back