Reno - 2 bed 1 bath into 3 bed 2 bath??

So there is no way I could even afford to do anything like this - but I thought I would bring it up.

Was looking at some good 2 bed units in Ashfield and came across this one.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-nsw-ashfield-108397776

I think it looks pretty good as it is so maybe it wouldn't be worth changing it at all. Close to a park and train as well. But yeah...

So after looking at the floor plan I wondered if you might be able to add another bedroom and bathroom to the unit?

What do people think about this?

I have no experience with any serious renovation renovation but I would estimate that a new kitchen inc plumbing and electrical work as well as a new bathroom could cost 60k+?

If you could snag this property up for 425k + 60k reno - maybe the 3 bed 2 bath would fetch a far greater yield and increase in price by a significant amount?

Here are a few of my thoughts:

PROS:
- unit is 80 sqm (big enough for 3 bed.
- 3rd bedroom walls already in place - just need door
- living/dining area is big enough to have a straight line kitchen
- plumbing in a new bathroom to laundry might be easier as there would already be some pipes?
- kitchen already has a window.
- increase rental yield and equity?
- kitchen could do with a replace anyway
- 3 bed 2 bath units in ashfield seem to be 500k+ at least
- property could do with a few minor touch ups - new carpet/lights/fresh paint

CONS:
- may be issues with other units in the complex?
- may not be allowed to anyway
- plumbing and electricity to new kitchen may not be possible or very expensive
- might cost more than its worth, might do better looking for a 3 bed apartment from the start
- narrow laundry room with interference from door - might have issues getting a good layout that has a shower and still keeps the washing machine
- bed 2 & 3 will not have BIR (but I guess you could put these in)
- bedroom 3 might already be a bit on the small side to have an ensuite

But yeah - I have no experience in renovations, or at least anything more complex than repainting the internal walls of a house.

So if anyone with any experience or anyone that can point out any obvious flaws - would be interested to know.

No way I could do this anyway just thought I would see what you guys thought.

Attachments

• ashfield reno before.jpg
    ashfield reno before.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 86
  • ashfield reno after.jpg
    ashfield reno after.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 88
That looks very congested to me if you did that...You need some separation from the kitchen and lounge otherwise your couches will all smell like stir-fry

That looks very congested to me if you did that...You need some separation from the kitchen and lounge otherwise your couches will all smell like stir-fry

Does Ashfield have a high number of oriental renters that could appreciate it!? :eek:

Yeah maybe it would be just too small and too much effort.

Maybe a different layout would be okay? But yeah maybe just a bit too cramped.

But then again I wouldn't be living there so if tenants could put up with it?

Attachments

• ashfield reno after - different layout.jpg
    ashfield reno after - different layout.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Might be getting a bit crazy now but if really limited for space maybe you could remove the linen cupboard or if able move the master bedroom wall back? Haha probably not very likely

Attachments

• ashfield reno after - space option.jpg
    ashfield reno after - space option.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 58
You know you need strata AND DA approval and given the ashfeild council wants to improve image of the place from a "Asian dumping ground" to a more prestige area....i highly doubt the council OR strata would approve :(

Regards
Michael

i like it. i have also seen that property before.

based on what i have seen its not that small or congested. went to an auction today to a property that was much smaller. passed in at 595k. 2 x 1 unit.

Back