Reno for profit on PPOR

Hi all,

I recently bought a property in WA and would like to add value to create equity. Nothing unusual there. A house down the street from me recently sold for about $135k more and it was on a smaller block but far nicer in its finish. It had a pool and a lovely outdoor area, more modern finishes and better presentation throughout.

I know there is a good amount of areas I can improve in my place although it is already a nice place but my vision in this area is not a strong point for me. I know the usual, paint neutral colours when selling etc and maximise your market but I am not selling, I am looking to increase value so could I get any ideas you are happy to share. I am wide open and ready to accept constructive criticism since I have done no work to the place at all yet and none of the d?cor is my own, so I am fully off the hook here.

I'm told that kerb appeal is a big area to add value and I know that this is a weak area for the house. It needs a good tidy up and some landscaping as at the moment it is very blah and forgettable and almost a turn of for some reason although I can't out my finger on exactly why.

I have not got a budget in mind yet I am simply looking to see where I can get the most bang for my buck.

I cannot easily add photos to this.

Attachments

• 20150121_180502.jpg
    20150121_180502.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 165
  • 20150121_180449.jpg
    20150121_180449.jpg
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
We're doing our front landscaping at the moment too. Let me know if you like hedges, you can have mine ;)

My thoughts for a cheapy upgrade - get rid of the small garden by the drive and put a path next to it. The drive is narrow, and looks like you'd be stepping in the garden to get out the door.

Get rid of the bushy shrub in front, raise and lengthen the garden bed with a rendered planter box or timber edging and plant it out with smaller more modern plants.

Define the side part of the garden with edging and neaten or replace those plants too.

New pine bark/pebbles over the dirt.

Have a chat to some local RE agents and find other houses with great street appeal in your area, then you'll know what your competing against.

The hard structures all look great and with a few plants will come up nicely. I'd definitely paint the side boundary fence though and wonder if adding a front fence would add value? Depends what's in the neighbourhood around you and if the locals are into having dogs etc.

Back