Renovate for Disability

Contemplating doing a renovation of a granny flat in the next few months. Considering making it wheelchair friendly unit, not particularly for the aged. Figures calculated indicate it would add approximately $5,000 to the cost. ie
Ramps,
Fittings
Access issues
Lower cupboards
Rails
etc

Apart from the PC things to say, has anyone done this? and would they recommend? I am still fence sitting ATM.
A.

why? do you have a high demand for wheelchair access property in your area, or are you just being soft and gooey feeling?

you may find that if you rent to a wheelchair person, the government bodies will retrofit all the requirements like rails and ramps at no cost to you. i guess you could make the doorways wider and the shower/toilet area more suitable etc

Well, there is an aging population and suitable accommodation is hard to find. Remember the old adage "when everyone is selling oranges, sell apples", no neither do I, but you get what I mean....
A

I'd do it if you are in a retirement or aged care hotspot.

I'm in one - I'd seriously consider having ramps and grab rails (no more) if I was going to go this way. Be a good idea on 1-2br units.

The government old fogey department is shockingly underfunded. Yes, they will pay to add ramps, grab rails, convert over-bath showers to walk-in ones and provide gophers and toilet seats and shower chairs but the wait is long and you won't necessarily get it unless it is REALLY urgent, in which case you are more likely to be told send 'em to hospital in the palliative wing. My mother is one of the people that assesses oldies for decrepitude to distribute funding for these things, so I hear about the process a lot.

Look at Sepp 5 regulations at your council - that is building requirements targetted for the 55+.

The regs would have further info.

Just a note, councils tend to be more favourable at these developments.

Developments for people with Disability

I have been involved with seniors and people with disabilities developments for some time & I assure you they are in high demand.

The key is to ensure that not just the building is suitable, but access to the building is suitable. Ideally level access to amenities or public transport can also be important.

With an aging population there demand for this type of development will only grow. As with all development, before you start do your market assessment & feasibility. High demand for any usage is usually location specific.

You may want to have a look at www.pwd.org.au, your local council & other websites for "seniors living" & specific access specifications.

maybe have a read of this month's API (I got it in the mail a few days ago) which has an article relating to wheelchair friendly houses...

Back