Renovate or Detonate Help Newby ?

Hi, new to Propery investment.
Sorry if this is a little long winded. I have just done a three night course on the basics to building a property portfolio. Very enthused and excited by the prospect of adding to my one propery(a thought that has never crossed my mind until now). Probably take the big step next year so i am educating myself now in preparation. But i have an investment property by default which used to be my PPR and has been rented for the last 8yrs as I was a traveller and ended up not coming home. This property is located in Adelaide and I now reside in Darwin. My question is the propery is 44 yrs old a flat roofed contemporary style in Para Hills. I know the roof needs replacing and the old terracota plumbing is full of tree roots and needs replacing
Then i guess it's overdue for a paintjob in and out and maybe the gutters,some old timber windows showing signs of rot etc etc... so i'm talking about a bit of money here. My question being. Living interstate makes it difficult for me to sus this out properly. Is there a compnay in Adelaide that can do a full unbiased structure and maintenance inspection on the property giving me a list of need to do's and good idea to do's? An opinion on the reno or demo idea and the resulting possible property value comparison on doing one over the other. As the propery managers just manage the reactive maintenace and i want to protect and improve my investment. I am considering the viability of bulldosing and build similar sized home then at least the big maintenance isses will greatly lessen and the value of the property will increase? and i can claim building depreciation. Or should I just keep the property as is, borrow $15k??? and replace the roof,gutters,paint,plumbing,windows etc.
Any recommendations of reputable companies if they exsist or just your own thoughts on these questions would be greated with great interest.
Kind regards
Dizzyl

You should be able to use a reliable local builder. Ask your PM to recommend one, or do a local phone book search.

Also try "archicentre" if they operate in your state.

It will cost a couple hunred I guess, but it is tax deductible.

Or should I just keep the property as is, borrow $15k??? and replace the roof,gutters,paint,plumbing,windows etc.
Dizzl,you don't get much for 15k,just the plumbing alone could be in the 10k plus range,plus the roof will be above 8k,this sound like a dog of a property,just the basic reno for something like this would be in the 30k plus range,the bulldozer sounds cheaper..imho..willair

In victoria archicentre does this. I am not sure if they operate in SA. I used them as they are independent/semi retired architects.

Back