Renovating.. how to get started

I have two properties which require a new kitchen & bathroom each. I am a professional female with no relatives/friends in the trades and no idea about renovation etc.. pretty clueless about these things!

What is the best way to find reputable/reliable tradespeople to do the job? How do you know what a reasonable price is? How long should I expect it to take for the renovations? Should I expect a discount if I get more than one property renovated?

Thanks for any pointers!

Hi Caterpillar

I suggest you get at least 3 quotes for each job, however before you do this, check out what sort of renovations are being done in your area (inspect similar properties for sale, etc), so you can have a “pool” of ideas on what to do and what NOT to do.

Ask yourself, what do I want to achieve? If you have tenants in these properties, are they happy to pay more rent, etc.

Negotiate with the tradies, yes, you can get a discount, don’t take a no… or take your business somewhere else.

When it comes to bathrooms and kitchens there are so many options, so inspecting similar properties will give you a good idea on what to do. This would also depend on type of property, location, price range, your objectives, etc.

If you are concerned about the quality, get them to give you a couple of Ref’s, call a couple and see what they say.

It sounds like a lot of work, just do one thing each day and soon you will have your bathrooms and kitchens looking fab, and putting more money in your pocket.

Good luck
Jon Salvador
www.headinghome.com.au
For investors … from investors

OK, I say two options here:

1. Get adventurous and try to do a flat pack (like IKEA) and get plumber/sparky in to help...

2. Get 4-5 quote from kitchen people, they are free and talk you through the whole thing..some are nice, some rush....

So yeah...I think option 2 is sometimes the best..also hint, hint, if youc an remove the old cabinets etc., its a bit cheaper...:)

Back