Renovating in QLD $11000 rule

Hi all my QLD Renovators

The BSA project managing rule of $11000 and under. Does this mean one can project manage renovations up to the value of $11000?

For example If I Reno a unit say for under $10000, I can project manage without getting a builder to project manager?

bathroom say for $4000
Kitchen say $1000
Other stuff say $1000
Painting say $2000 - $3000

This would include materials and labour

I would need a plumber, sparky and carpenter.

Coastal

Yes you can project manage the work yourself but the $11,000 limit must be no more than licensed builders would charge you for the work.

This means that you have to waste a builder's time to give you a quote so that you do not fall foul of the regulation.

I should have added that similar laws apply in NSW (limit $12,000), but as far as I am aware there is nothing to stop you doing another renovation under $11,000 at a later date.

I have done that in NSW and had no problem, but I was able to wait 3 months from completion of the first before starting the second.

I don't have my builders license (although wouldn't mind getting it in the future; I meet most of the requirements already) although what's stopping someone from staging this?
E.g. Stage 1 bathroom, month 1, 7K
Stage 2, kitchen, month 2 10k
Stage 3, exterior & garden, months 3 - 4, 9k

I don't have my builders license (although wouldn't mind getting it in the future; I meet most of the requirements already) although what's stopping someone from staging this?

I have tried in vain to find out if there is any regulation preventing what you are suggesting. As I said, I did it in 2 stages, 3 months apart.

What would concern me is what I know happens to some people who buy and sell used cars. No problem for the first 2 or 3 or even 4 maybe, but if it continues at close intervals the authorities take an interest.

Holding costs and lack of rent?

The BSA website states that jobs over $3300 needs a contract with the licensed builder. does this mean jobs over $3300 are required to go through a builder who projects manages the reno and the trades invoice the builder?

Im confused?

The BSA website states that jobs over $3300 needs a contract with the licensed builder. does this mean jobs over $3300 are required to go through a builder who projects manages the reno and the trades invoice the builder?

Im confused?

I cannot see any sense in this, but maybe that is why the Qld Government is doing away with the BSA by the end of the year.

Maybe what you found refers to work that must be carried out by licensed trades people, but I see no reason in the regulations as to why you must have a contract with a licensed builder in order to have a licensed subcontractor do a job for you.

I am under going a large Reno in Brisbane... Would an owner builders permit mean I need not worry about the $11000 rule?

Hi

I had a chat to the...I can project manage the reno up to the $11000, but I am liable for it as I don't get the BSA insurance and have to disclose all works if I sell within 6 years

Back