Renovation

:confused::confused:

Looking at a house atm, the state of the house atm is gutted - no walls, doors, wiring, plumbing, nothing, it is a shell of a house that is in need of reno's

Now to take on this project what would we do?

My partner is going on about needing to get a builder to oversee a renovation that we are planning for a property and getting an architect to come in and draw fancy plans :confused:

As far as I am aware due to the house not having any structural changes being done to it, and seeing as it is already gutted, calling a carpenter to come in put on the rest of the outside walls, and finishing the inside up until we need a plumber and electrician below is my plan of thoughts:

1) Fix house to lock up stage
2) remove things like outside front entrance (which has fallen down) and remove any interfering outside debris
3) carpenter to complete inside including doing WIR / BIR / etc to up until electrician / plumber and plasterboard can go on - in
4) get electrician / plumber and plasterer to do jobs
5a) house painted inside while
5b) carpenter to put in back decking / sand outside of whole house for painting / finish front facade
6) flooring / kitchen / bathroom complete
7) outside of house painted and complete
8) remove backyard 2 x 2 mt shed, clear back and front yard put in some nice shrubs / hedges / fence and new driveway (current is broken to the point of rip it up and start again)
8a) clean inside of house
9) furnish
10) put house back on market or live in or rent out

Or as DP wants to do; get someone to oversee the project (which I am apposed to because it eats into our profit margin + I want the finishes to be to our standard and not someone else's)

Any advice? and is a project manager really worth it??

Any structural changes need to go through council.

Any works over 5k-6k i think it is off the top of my head needs to be undertaken by someone who is a registered building practitioner (with insurance) & contracts.

Your best bet is to call in a builder. A heads up, they charge more for renos than for new builds.

Good Luck

Here is owner builder high level info.

Having just about completed a renovation, where there was nothing stuctural, only cosmetic, but it effectively was the entire property, it has taken far longer that I had expected.

I managed it and did some smaller jobs myself and found the balancing act of working full-time and doing the work a real challenge.

Given the scope of works you have mentioned, I would seriously consider getting in a project manager

like buzz said balancing full time work with a large reno is hard.
im doing it now and its tricky, im way over time on the reno due to only working weekends and a few days here n there when im off.
my biggest issue is getting a hand with some of the work as some jobs do require 2 ppl.

I do know how ill structure my next one and thats better planning. if you plan it correctly it will go smoother, this was also my first ever reno so it was a massive learning curve.

We're doing ours by ourselves and our biggie has been first the weather (was too cold to paint) and now the length of time to get tradies. If you've got the time to ring around and organise everyone sure, but we're just playing the waiting game now. Good thing is the electrician also happens to be the father-in-law so we're asking him to pick up the kitchen and floor coverings on the way to do the rewire :)

We shall not discuss the plumber. Grr. Don't think any project manager would help hurry him along.

Back