Renovtions and tax deductions

Hi Guys,

I am fairly new to this and am after some pointers please. I am settling on my first property at the end of the month. It will be used as our PPOR for a year or 2 and then be rented out after we upgrade to a more suitable PPOR for us.

Some things that I need to do to the property that I can think about off hand are:

* Install Airconditioning
* Install Built in wardrobes
* Update gardens extensively
* Retile and perhaps update the bathroom
* Rip up carpet and install perhaps floating floorboards (or tiles but I thought floorboards would be cheaper)
* Build another small room adjacent to the current laundry and then move the laundry into this new room.
* Make the current laundry a walk in pantry because it is directly off the kitchen. This would also make additional space to put the fridge which would currently have to be in the dining room.
* Enclose and tile current back verandah into a sunroom and perhaps another bedroom.

Anyway there is a lot to do and I don't wish to do all at once, hence the 1-2 year plan. What I am asking info about is should I start this say immediately or wait until just before we are ready to rent out? I don't know how deductions work but the property does need updating to achieve a higher rent return but as it currently sits, the rent will cover the mortgage payments.

Some of the stuff I want to do I might change my mind on but this is my plans. btw: air con and built ins will be done in the next couple of months because it is something we need now. The rest can wait though if it works out better.

Any advice would be sooo appreciated. Thanks.

Those sort of renovations would typically be added to the cost base and depreciated when the property becomes an investment property. They will not be deductible immediately.

The renos you have planned sound fine. Don't get too carried away with the gardens as tenants often don't look after them and it can be heartbreaking for you as a LL.

What I am asking info about is should I start this say immediately or wait until just before we are ready to rent out?
Makes no difference.

I don't know how deductions work but the property does need updating to achieve a higher rent return but as it currently sits, the rent will cover the mortgage payments.
Your reno works will be improvements (not repairs) and therefore depreciable over their effective life (as determined by the ATO).

If you borrow money to do the renos then the interest will be tax deductible once the property becomes a rental. Keep any loan for this separate and uncontaminated by personal (private) expenses.

Get a QS to do a depreciation schedule on the property just before you rent it out.

As above.

Also bear in mind that upgrading gardens are typically not deductable as plants mulch and turf have no fixed life span.

Landscaping can sometimes be deducted, its a bit of a grey one.

Back