Rental agreement not signed by all persons to reside

hope someone can provide some comments.

My IP got new tenants just before Easter - a group of three and a signed contract was provided by our current PM.

I just noticed in this contract that there are two signatures (with witnessed) by two of them, but there is third person signature missing.
Only third person name appeared in the addendum A "names of person authorised to reside the premises.
I was advised that three were all adults. (in their mid 20s).

Is it normal to have this kind of arrangement and what is the legal implication when it comes to some issues (damages to properties etc) and anything I can request to my current PM?

Hi skippyz,

So basically, the two adults on the lease are responsible for the rental payments and their ability to pay would have been assessed. Double check with your PM if they did a check on the third adult anyway. For e.g. call past/current property manager etc. There are many reasons for not being on the lease - does not necessarily mean they are trying to do a dodge. Just check if they checked this person anyway

It's pretty normal. It's generally discussed with the owner first, but it doesn't really make a difference.

We always perform checks on all people moving in, regardless of their tenant/occupant status.

Sometimes one tenant might not want the responsibility that comes with being a listed tenant, and the other 2 housemates want to take on the full responsibility for the lease.

For example, a family with a 19 year old son would never have the son as a tenant - he would be an 'approved occupant' and listed in the 'extra terms' section of the agreement.

I did one today, 30 year old man moving in with his mother, who may or may not want to live there for more than a few months, so I just put her down as an approved occupant.

Matt

Lots of reasons why they may want this. Had two tenants ask to add a third to their lease. I vetted the new person but advised them to sublet instead until the lease was due for renewal at which time all three names would be listed. Probably against forum convention but it keeps the paperwork simple, the current renewal date is ideal for me, and if the new arrangements don't suit the tenants can easily revert. Your two tenants may be similarly unfamiliar with the third.

Or putting the conspiracy hat on, your third tenant may be of an unusual background and may not want to leave a paper trail...

Back