Rental return percentages

Can someone please tell me how to calculate a rental return percentage. E.g If my loan on a property is $500,000 and I get $550 per week what is the annual percentage return. Thanks

Calculation should actually be:

(52 x 550)x100/(property cost or value) = gross return(%)

The loan amount is irrelevant unless it is full purchase cost of the property.

Thanks Joe. Also someone please tell me how to calculate loan repayments for a loan. E.g $500,000 with say interest only loan at 7% over 30 years? How to calculate a weekly loan repayment? Thank you

Thanks Joe. Also someone please tell me how to calculate loan repayments for a loan. E.g $500,000 with say interest only loan at 7% over 30 years? How to calculate a weekly loan repayment? Thank you

Type in "Loan repayment calculator" to google and you will have plenty to choose from.

or

$500,000 multiplied by 0.07 (7%) = $35000 per year.

Cheers

Rooster

Type in "Loan repayment calculator" to google and you will have plenty to choose from.

or

$500,000 multiplied by 0.07 (7%) = $35000 per year.

Cheers

Rooster

Yeah I'd suggest a loan calculator for Principle & Interest payments

For Interest Only loans, like Rooster said...

If you're using Excel you can use the PMT function like this:

PMT(rate,nper,pv,fv,type)

Rate is the interest rate for the loan. eg. 0.07 = 7%

Nper is the total number of payments for the loan. eg 30 = 30 years

Pv is the present value, or the total amount that a series of future payments is worth now; also known as the principal. eg 250000 = $250k

Fv is the future value, or a cash balance you want to attain after the last payment is made. If fv is omitted, it is assumed to be 0 (zero), that is, the future value of a loan is 0.

Type is the number 0 (zero) or 1 and indicates when payments are due.

PMT(0.07,30,250000)/12 will provide you the P&I repayments on a 30 year loan on $250,000 at 7% interest.

Last edited:
If you're using Excel you can use the PMT function like this:

PMT(rate,nper,pv,fv,type)

Rate is the interest rate for the loan. eg. 0.07 = 7%

Nper is the total number of payments for the loan. eg 30 = 30 years

Pv is the present value, or the total amount that a series of future payments is worth now; also known as the principal. eg 250000 = $250k

Fv is the future value, or a cash balance you want to attain after the last payment is made. If fv is omitted, it is assumed to be 0 (zero), that is, the future value of a loan is 0.

Type is the number 0 (zero) or 1 and indicates when payments are due.

PMT(0.07,30,250000)/12 will provide you the P&I repayments on a 30 year loan on $250,000 at 7% interest.

Thanks Rob!

My understanding of your explanation is that the nper can represent any number of time periods and doesn't have to be a number of years, is that correct? If instead of 30, one was to insert 360 (12month x 30 years) - would the formula have the same effect, save that you don't need to divide by 12 anymore?

I'll have a fiddle tonight and will probably be able to answer my own question :)

edit...on further thought the answer is probably yes if the interest rate is tied to the time period...ie. when using a yearly interest, use years, when using a monthly interest use months...

Last edited:
What's considered to be a good return 5% ?

Not sure about "good", but yeah 5% does seem to be "ok" in normal resi stuff

$300k house..... $300/wk= $15,600 pa

about right for where I live

of course, it's not that simple a $10m place won't necessarilty get you $500k in rent either (and ther's lots in between $300k and $10million)

Thanks a lot everyone. I have done my calculations and attached details of my portfolio and would appreciate any comments if anyone has time. I recently purchased property 3 which is already approved for dual occ (property 4). However has not got seperate title. So I included figures for overal (if seperate title is not approved as well as seperate title.
Haven't included property 1 as it is included in divorce proceedings atm so cannot really account for that yet.

Thank you

Attachments

• Property overview.pdf
    234.7 KB · Views: 242
Thanks Rob!

My understanding of your explanation is that the nper can represent any number of time periods and doesn't have to be a number of years, is that correct? If instead of 30, one was to insert 360 (12month x 30 years) - would the formula have the same effect, save that you don't need to divide by 12 anymore?

I'll have a fiddle tonight and will probably be able to answer my own question :)

edit...on further thought the answer is probably yes if the interest rate is tied to the time period...ie. when using a yearly interest, use years, when using a monthly interest use months...

Correct. :)

Can someone please tell me how to calculate a rental return percentage. E.g If my loan on a property is $500,000 and I get $550 per week what is the annual percentage return. Thanks

If your looking for rental yield look at Joe D reply. BUT working this out for you... it's 5.7% Rental Yield ( This should be lower more like 4.2-4.5% - as your loan amount does not equal your property value)

But in the long term, the value of the IP rental return increase, because your purchase price will remain the same- but rent will go up by inflation....:)

I think he means it's a 30 years loan, but with interest only for the first 5 years ( which is pretty standard for interest only)

Regards
Michael

Back