Renting a property with a pool - Qld

I'm settling on a property I purchased in Bris on Tuesday. It's already tenanted by existing owners friends on a verbal agreement. I was told by agent they would most likely stay and sign a lease with me but just found out they are vacating.

Being the worst possible time to rent out a property with a pool I'm considering:
(a) Purchasing a pool blanket

(b) Include water usage in rent - There is 2x2500L water tanks.

Any feedback or other incentives, idea's please.

Is there still a rebate on pool blankets?

http://newsroom.brisbane.qld.gov.au/home/news_detail.asp?ID=483

Is there any other current Waterwise rebates for Brisbane?

Thanks

Last edited:
Best way to rent a property with a pool is to include pool servicing (not chemicals).

This way you will be sure that the pool is being cared for correctly, and the the tenant wont have to worry too much about it.

Personally I hate pools and tenants - pool and PPOR fine, Tenant with no pool fine - put them together and >>>>>

We have an IP with a pool on the Sunshine Coast and have not had any trouble.

Renting in winter is hard. We always make our leases due in January.

Best bet is to make the rent attractive to a tenant and give a 6 month lease only. Include monthly pool servicing if you want - the usual is for the landlord to pay for the service visit and the tenant pays for the chemicals. I don't think you need to include water usage as 5,000L for the pool should be more than sufficient. However, you will have to have the property certified as water compliant in order to pass on water charges.

A 6 month lease now will make the next rental period commence in December/January, when you will find the pool to be a real asset in attracting tenants at good rents.
Marg

We rent a house out with a pool it was bought that we would one day move in and it has been nothing but a head ache!

We pay $100 per month for poolman to clean, tenant constantly complaining about this and that, think they just want pool side service and dont want to lift a finger to help keep the pool they swim in clean and to top it off i have been asked for compensation for the electricity the pump uses ??? :eek:

It has become such that we are moving in to the house ourselves ahead of time due to the constant headache of it.
Yes i have supplied pool blanket, chemicals, all cleaning equipment and a pool man but this still never keeps tenant happy. If you can get a tenant who will look after you are set, if not prepare for constant complaints and people who think its a resort not a rental.
i wish you luck but i would never want to rent a house with a pool again. :)

My IP in Brisbane has a small in ground saltwater pool, tenant pays for salt and chemicals not that it takes much. No complaints so far & have had the same tenant for 3 years.

Thanks for replies. It has been advertised today for a bit cheaper rent. I'll see what resonse I get. If I need to include pool servicing once a month there is a company that does it only a few street away from property. Hopefully the wood fireplace will entice people.

Definitely recommend a pool blanket; we have one for our PPOR pool and it's been a Godsend (Brisbane westerly wind will remove 10mm level per day :eek:). The other benefit is we have no chemicals required for algae control since the daily blanket use stops sunlight hitting the pool bottom and hence stops algae growth.

We would never but an IP with a pool though, for all the reasons previously noted.

Hope your IP has smoke alarms though......

Back