Renting advice for a tricky situation?

Hi again,

I am going to make my move to Perth soon (from Brisbane). I am going to have to rent, and rent out my unit here. I am hoping for some advice on how to secure a rental property. My situation is a little tricky :rolleyes:

Ok firstly, I would like to secure a property BEFORE moving over.

Secondly, I have never rented before. I have lived at home, and bought my first property in March this year. I am 23y/o.

Not only that, but I am self employed. I have a pretty good income, although due to the fact the business only started (officially) about 1.5 years ago, my last tax return (05/06) says I only earnt about $25,000.

So what sort of property manager in their right mind would rent to me? I'd appreciate some adivice. My parents are actually realestate agents, but I don't think that really helps me.

What can I do to get myself somewhere to live?

Things going for you as a prospective tenant:

You are employed. If you have bank account statements that would assist your case.

You are a property owner. Provide proof that you are.

Do you pay board? Can your parents put that in writing.

Get a free copy of your credit record. Can take up to 2 weeks.

Ring up property managers and let them know what you are after and your situation. Don't just be another application in the pile.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply :D

I am wondering, for the credit report, what sorts of things would go towards that? I have never owned a credit card, but I do have the loan for my property. Does anything else count?

I moved from Sydney and wanted a place to move straight into so I looked on the net and secured one that way. Signed the lease when I arrived.

However, we did know someone to have a look beforehand. Do you know anyone that can check the place out for you?

In the end it was a bit of a gamble. We took a 6 month lease so worst case scenario was that I was in a place I wasn't too keen on for 6 months.

I don't think you'll have any issues. The rental market is a little tight but I'm sure you'll pick up something. What exactly are you looking for and in what area?

Cheers,

Mark

I do have some friends over there who could look for me. They live in Hocking, so I want somewhere close to there. I have been looking in Cragie (just because it seems a little cheaper). But I have spotted some nice places in Sorrento, too. Joondalup has some good units. I think it would be called north west.

I am after either a unit or townhouse/duplex type thing. I don't really want a house with a big yard to look after. 2 rooms minimum. Price around $250, but could go up to $300p/w.

Our experience when looking for a rental in Perth two years ago was that no agency would accept an application until you had personally inspected the property. Crazy I know, but we got that answer from at least 25 different companies. You might be luckier though.

Hi bythebay. When you say you want 2 rooms do you mean 2 bedrooms? Or do you mean at least a separate bedroom and lounge/kitchen? If you want two bedrooms those apartments tend to be over the $300 mark, but there are nice one bedroom apartments that come up, because a lot where built to rent to students for the Uni, TAFE and Police College. The area you like is Joondalup North, right at the train station basically and higher density than areas like Craigie. Craigie is cheaper, but very suburban and not convenient to pubs/clubs and coffee houses. Don't you want to get out a bit as well as work? Joondalup does have a bit more action but nothing like areas like Leederville or Subiaco. They are 40 minutes drive from Hocking though. There are also smaller houses to rent in Joondalup (not Joondalup North) that go for up to $300 or so.

There are some rental apartments at the train line in Currambine and a number have been leasing recently. But there isn't much to do around there really. Its only one stop away from Joondalup though and still close to Hocking.

Another option not yet discussed is to consider paying in advance (3mths) to secure a lease. Landlords appreciate this as it's an indicator of a serious tenant and provides that extra security as well.

Good luck with your search- hope you get what you want :)

Rentals can be pretty tight in Perth at the moment in certain areas. If you deal with a PM in Brisbane, get them to make a phone call to a prospective PM in Perth when you find a place you are after. I recently had an ex-tenant having trouble securing a property in Perth. A personal phone call resolved the situation; where a PM can have a heap of applications a personal call which boots one to the top of the pile can assist.

Good luck

Another option is to complete applications to approval stage with all the agents in the chosen area(s) then stay in a serviced apartment for a fortnight while you personally complete the inspections and final selection.
There is very little scrutiny for renting a serviced apartment, rather like a motel stay (except our motel, ahem.... we're fussy). Shameless plug I know.

Agents like agents family, so include a written request from parents on REA letterhead. Show good reason for moving also helps. Ring agents who show good rentals on the net, before sending paperwork .
Good luck. cheers ;)
crest133

Back