Renting to agent's friends?

Hi guys,

We have just settled on a new IP and apparently friends of the agent are interested in renting for 12 months. Has anyone else had this, and were there any issues of conflicts of interest? As nice as it would be to get a tenant in straight away, I don't want any issues down the track

Tools

They would be signing a lease and paying a bond, the same as anyone else, so if they check out okay, I would be fine with it. Only thing is, is the agent advising you of the weekly rent amount. If so, check it out yourself, just in case he is pulling the wool over your eyes, and giving his mates "mates rates".

Wylie

Ensure you get a couple of PM appraisals first and go through the usual procedures with leases etc and I don't see a problem. If the PM checks them out and they are fine, then they're simply a tenant. Just because the sales agent is friends with them shouldn't affect your decision here.

Thanks guys. My concern was more that there is the possibility that should the tenant fall behind on payments, the agency could be a little lax in putting the acid on. There are a couple of other people looking at the property today, so we will see what happens.

Tools

Agent's friends

It seems that my agent and tennant are friends and I keep getting shitty little requests that I don't think I would've gotten otherwise. I think my agent thinks I'm a rich WA person who should be taken advantage of. So... I would be warry of and agent telling the tennant all the things they think they should have.
(a bit cynical I know, but....)
Good luck
Meg

I think it would all depend on the integrity of the agent & the quality of the tenant. If I had other applicants, I think I would prefer to go with someone else where there is no likelihood of conflict of interest, should things go sour.

Quite agree with Skater; important for no conflict of interest. I would have thought that a good PM would have advised freinds not to use their services for this very reason.

Back