Renting to family

Not an ideal situation but when renting to family and the rent payments are made via cash how can i claim tax? What else should i be considering?

I've done this (rented to family).....

........but most prob never again.

I purchased a receipt book (carbon) and issued them when payments rec'd stating what it was for & other appropriate info (ie: names, rent paid for dates, property address).

Are you renting close to market rates?

The ATO might not allow claims if you're renting to a related party at a great discount.
Be very careful about this!

........but most prob never again.

I purchased a receipt book (carbon) and issued them when payments rec'd stating what it was for & other appropriate info (ie: names, rent paid for dates, property address).

Are you renting close to market rates?

The ATO might not allow claims if you're renting to a related party at a great discount.
Be very careful about this!

As mentioned be cautious of renting under market value... if you're claiming the interest on a property you purchased for full market value don't expect the ATO to like you renting it below market value.

Not an ideal situation but when renting to family and the rent payments are made via cash how can i claim tax?
Firstly, it does not matter how they pay, you need to keep a record of rental payments received. Recepit book, spreadsheet, whatever works.

Secondly, you don't "claim tax". You declare all your rental income and all your associated expenses, such as mortage interest, insurance, rates, maintenance etc. If there is an imbalance, you will either pay tax on the excess at your marginal rate or claim a tax deduction for the loss. (I guess this is what you meant).

What else should i be considering?
As others have said, make sure you are charging market rent or the ATO will not allow you to claim 100% of your expenses.

Make sure you have a lease in place and submit the bond to the appropraite authority. Also make sure you have building & contents insurance in place as well as Landlords insurance.

Treat everything as a business and at-arms-length.

Yep...........as I mentioned, danger all round - doesn't mean it can't work, but a lot of times you get taken advantage of - and it can kill a marriage........ believe me, I have seen it happen in my own family - not me luckily.

My incident only lasted several weeks, then it was eviction time - the old fashioned way :eek:

Yep...........as I mentioned, danger all round - doesn't mean it can't work, but a lot of times you get taken advantage of - and it can kill a marriage........ believe me, I have seen it happen in my own family - not me luckily.

My incident only lasted several weeks, then it was eviction time - the old fashioned way :eek:

Having brushed the outer edges of this type of situation.... Don't, just... don't :mad::eek:

The only time i would rent to family (and friends) is when i expect $0 rent to be paid. If it must go through an agent, then I would do my best to hide that I am the owner and refer them to an agent.

I'd be very interested to hear from some accountants here - I have been told that to rent to family if the property is negatively geared, even if at market rent (or above) can get you in a bit of strife ?????

I'd be very interested to hear from some accountants here - I have been told that to rent to family if the property is negatively geared, even if at market rent (or above) can get you in a bit of strife ?????
I'm no accountant, but mine has told me previously that it's OK so long as at "market value".
I found some extra stuff at the ATO that should explain it further.
To me (at least), as long as at market value, proper lease etc (as per normal commercial arrangement) AND that your original intent/purpose was not to "help" relatives/friends, then you might be OK. So.....it would probably be better if this was an existing IP that you have previously rented to a "commercial tenant" and not just purchased to help out a family member /friend & that you rented for same as previous amount.

But then I'm not the ATO ;)

Page 12 of this http://www.ato.gov.au/uploadedFiles/Content/MEI/downloads/ind00342353n17290613.pdf
EXAMPLE 7: Renting to a family member

and Here => http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?DocID=ITR/IT2167/NAT/ATO/00001
Section under "Letting of property to relatives" looks interesting.

My Parents in Law rent their factory to their won son - a 40 something year old sparky, who also lives in it.

He is waaay behind in paying the rent, but can still manage to have a spending lifestyle.

My recommendation is rent to families and expect the possibility of not getting paid.

I think the answer to your original question of 'what else should I be considering?' is a 'don't consider it' :). lol.

Back