Rents tumble in inner Sydney

It's about time to debunk those phony vacancy rates, naive population/migration arguments and the "Australia-is-different" mantra.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/rents-tumble-in-inner-sydney/2008/12/05/1228257317698.html
Jessica Irvine Economics Writer
December 6, 2008

RENTS on apartments across the lower North Shore and eastern suburbs are tumbling as the finance sector sheds jobs, existing renters reach breaking point and lower interest rates make buying a property more attractive.

The median rent on a one-bedroom apartment in Kirribilli and Milsons Point fell 15.9 per cent in the three months to the end of September, official figures from NSW Housing show.

Double-digit quarterly rental price falls were also recorded for two-bedroom units in Lavender Bay, McMahons Point and North Sydney and, to the east, in Bondi Junction, Bronte and Waverley.

Kirribilli and Milsons Point was the only Sydney postcode to record an annual decline in apartment rents over the year to September. "We believe this is due to the large number of expatriates who have been relocated back to their original countries, as well as a surge of corporate redundancies," said Keris Hodge, the director of the Cremorne-based rental agency, The Apartment Service.

An economist at Commonwealth Bank, Michael Workman, said job losses in Sydney's finance, property, legal and accounting industries had reduced demand for rental properties in the inner suburbs, while supply had remained constant. "Now that demand conditions are weak, renters are in a much stronger position to argue for no rent increases," he said.

The managing director of SQM Research, Louis Christopher, said landlords had stretched renters to breaking point, despite rising vacancy rates in inner Sydney.

Renters were also taking a more cautious approach to budgeting. "In the middle and upper end of the rental market it is very discretionary, and in these uncertain economic times, if they can, they choose a $500-a-week rental property as opposed to an $800 to $1000 one."

As interest rates fell, and more young people took advantage of a temporary doubling in the first home buyers grant, the number of potential renters would fall, Mr Christopher said, tipping that rents would continue to drop in affluent areas of the inner city next year.

But renters in outer suburban areas are feeling the pinch. The figures show double-digit rent rises on houses continued in the September quarter in Fairfield, Concord and Rhodes.

An agent at Deborah Richardson Real Estate, Stacey Rohan, said properties on the lower North Shore which used to be rented in one weekend, were now staying on the market for an average of three weeks, with landlords forced to drop rents by at least $20 a week to attract tenants. "It's probably a lot cheaper than it has been."

i dont know about Sydney, but Melbourne's cbd rental market seems to be still increasing.
My agent has just put rents up $20 per week (from $470 to $490) for a standard two bedroom apartment on standard properties comming up for lease renewal. His rent role of several hundred properties is still very tight.
The top end rent above $700 per week for a two bedroom is becoming harder though, but then this area of the market is always more cyclical.

90% of my rents are going up - the 10% exception are the top end. This is consistant with the article. The heading only tells half the story. Not surprised that there is little pressure on the $1K per week rentals :eek:

But renters in outer suburban areas are feeling the pinch. The figures show double-digit rent rises on houses continued in the September quarter in Fairfield, Concord and Rhodes.

I tend to be fairly yield oriented, but I try to buy properties that rent at or below the median suburb rent, because plenty of people seem happy to pay to get into a suburb, and the way in is usually through a cheaper property in the area. Also, these properties tend to be cheaper than the median suburb property price, and see plenty of upside growth when the suburb median changes.

Also, once people live in an area, they seem to me to be more likely to take a cheaper property in the same area, if need be, than move away.

Just my thoughts.

Yes..We're having no trouble raising rents in Melbourne. We put our latest reno on the market last week-end. Gone in 3 days with 3 good applications. ( Darn..never asked enough!) . The rest of the flock is on a standard "system" of "5% increase, 6 months lease" each 6 months. Not one has moved out or even challenged. Mind you, do the maths, rents are STILL soooo cheap compared to buying plus ownership costs. Still lot's more room for rent increases in Melbourne IMO ...few less skinny lattes for tenants maybe.
LL

lower interest rates make buying a property more attractive.

S Keen would tear strips off her for that comment. Seems rent won't go up because people will just go and buy, yet house prices won't go up because it will be cheaper to go and rent. We have found nirvana!

I hear that new building starts in Sydney are dismal. good luck to you all when the economy there turns around.

"Now that demand conditions are weak, renters are in a much stronger position to argue for no rent increases," he said.

since when has resi yields ever reflected the landlords costs? Tell them the govt is subsidizing their lifestyle choice by 25% and the landlord the other 25%, so pull your head in and pay the dam rent on time

The reality is that rent levels are the free market at work. If people want to rent your place, they pay what is asked. If you ask too much, noone will want to rent it.

Easy.

S Keen would tear strips off her for that comment. Seems rent won't go up because people will just go and buy, yet house prices won't go up because it will be cheaper to go and rent. We have found nirvana!

I hear that new building starts in Sydney are dismal. good luck to you all when the economy there turns around.

That's because its cheaper to buy an established one. :D

Tumbling rent is a fact, a fact nobody thought possible, especially on this forum.
Now it is interesting to see people (including the author of the original article) starting to try to explain it away and dismiss it - classical denial stage. Rent is tumbling because people are buying like frenzy and driving property prices into another boom? Nice interpretation.

Everyone from Kirribilli moving to Botany Bay where prices have reverse tumbled by 42.9% ? :confused::D

http://www.housing.nsw.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/DBD001E0-4220-45ED-9145-2FF7C9B7B5B4/0/RSReport85.pdf

Notable rent movements for local government areas
(ignoring small samples)
Within the Sydney SD, the largest annual increases in
median rent for one bedroom flats/units were recorded in
Botany Bay (42.9%) and Strathfield (26.0%). Twenty four
out of 43 LGAs in Sydney SD recorded annual increases of
10% or more. Within the Rest of GMR the largest annual
increase was observed in Maitland (12.0%).
Two bedroom flats/units in Botany Bay (24.1%), Canterbury
(21.7%) and Parramatta (21.4%) recorded the largest
annual increases in median rent in the Sydney SD. Ryde,
Sydney and Sutherland have each recorded seven or more
consecutive quarterly increases. Thirty one of the 43 LGAs
within Sydney SD recorded annual increases of 10% or
more, representing 76% of the two bedroom flats/units
rental market in Sydney SD. Within the Rest of GMR, Lake
Macquarie recorded the biggest annual increase of 17.1%,
followed by Kiama (11.4%) and Port Stephens (9.6

Fair enough if rents tumble, but people have to live somewhere, a few can move back home with parents, a few can share a 2bdr with 3 people etc...

but buying still costs more, and people aren't buying, they still have to rent somewhere, I don't think rents will come crashing down!

Tumbling rent is a fact, a fact nobody thought possible, especially on this forum.
Now it is interesting to see people (including the author of the original article) starting to try to explain it away and dismiss it - classical denial stage. Rent is tumbling because people are buying like frenzy and driving property prices into another boom? Nice interpretation.

buddy remind me never to hire you to do any statistical work for my, i would be bankrupt in a month.:D The author is pointing to a drop in rent in a few high priced areas and you are trying to extrapolate that over the whole Australia.

Plenty of posts on this forum telling of times when houses prices and/or rents didn't go up for several years, and sometimes a free week was offered as incentive, or rents were dropped slightly (no tumbling involved :p) to get a tenant.

Don't know what you are reading on this forum, but it is all here if you look.

Just put a new tenant into my 1br apartment in Chippendale at $380PW which is $30PW more than the previous tenant. So no "plunge" here.

hi sphinx
I think before you post you need to understand the market that you are posting about and from there understand why these areas not only have rent changes but also sales
there area you are talking about is the margin call belt
so from north shore all the way to whale beach is margin call each day area
and to give you an idea usually palm beach and whale beach has about 16 properties on the market advertised or not
today most have 120.
the local paper is usually about 50 pages
last week one real estate had 25 pages just for him
so you can't say that rent are going backward
even for me that a long draw of the bow
as people get margin called they have to retract
and thats go back to mum and dad
re work the numbers
and the first thing that goes is the rented property
and because there is alot of stock all of a sudden does not mean that dams broken and dropping rents.,
because thats not true and anyone that says it is is living in wonderland.
on monday this week we had two cranes working cbd sydney now for me that just pathetic and if you think that rents are going to go down in sydney
well thats ok for me
because when I was a kid I also believed in father christmas and the day rents start to go backwards is the time he will shake my hand and he will also have a could of fairy's on his shouder as there are a couple of those at the bottom of the garden.
are rents going to go down
no chance
and why would they
really
demand
has it reduced
no
I think its great to dream.
but reality is they are not going backward they are not going to go backwards and if anything are going to do 30% this comming year.
so its great to dream and I hope you well.
but dropping rents.
bring on father christmas

I don't think that there is any contradiction here. People want sell at prices buyers aren't willing to pay. hence the low volume. after a while they give up and rent the houses out, resulting in a looser rental market.

its just a balancing out, i guess. but one that benefits the renter more than the owner i suppose.

purely anecdotal, i know, but i have seen a number of for sale listings turn into for rent listings in canberra. of course the rental market here is so tight that it hasnt made an appreciable difference, but if you look at sqmresearch data, the number of rental listings has (relatively speaking) spiked dramatically since sept/oct. Seems to me people are deciding to rent rather than try to sell in this market.

it makes sense and, since i still rent, it is good for me.

as far as what happens when the economy turns around, i am happy to cross that bridge when we get to it. i think we have a long way to go before we get to that point.

Back