Rep. Strain Injury

I would say it's a fair bet that quite a few forumites use a computer for long periods of time/regular basis.

Is anyone suffering from RSI? :mad:

My experience surprises me because I don't have a history of prolonged computer use, but find that after a few minutes of using mouse that I have tingling and discomfort from wrist to forearm. Have to switch hands for a while. :mad: Even after not touching computer for a few days the discomfort quickly rears it's ugly head.

Any suggestions????

Bawley

I think poor posture contributes.

Try to sit up more (put bottom in the back of the seat when sitting down to avoid slouching) and avoid using the hand with the mouse for stability and support. May help if the mouse pad is moved closer to you.

A physio consultation could help.

bawley said:
Any suggestions????

- Learn to use the keyboard more? There's a lot of shortcut for things like switching between tasks, cursor movement, text selection, cut/copy/paste and huge range of other tasks in various bits of software.

- Increase the mouse speed so that smaller movements of the mouse result in larger movements on the screen.

- get a wireless mouse so that you can put it exactly where you want it without trying to rearrange the mouse cable.

- Check your ergonomics to make sure your chair height, placement to desk etc are appropriate.. (google for a good guide on this)

- Consider dietary changes to reduce inflammatory markers in your system.. (good intake of Omega 3 fats essential!)

- Make sure you've got a Wheel Mouse for scrolling, update your mouse if you don't.

- Make sure you've got a smooth moving mouse, clean the muck off the bottom or go get a good quality mouse if you've only got a cheapy. It should glide across your desk.

- Mouse pads suck.. dont use a mouse pad they increase drag and you're always readjusting the position of the mouse, if you've still got a BALL mouse (does anyone??) consider upgrading to an optical mouse.. they rock.

- Identify WHY you're using the mouse and seek to eliminate unnecessary trips to the mouse

And if its the keyboard causing you issues..

- learn to type properly (if you dont)
- re-check ergonomics
- stretch your fingers regularly, especially before starting work for the day..
- If you're keen, consider a Dvorak keyboard layout..

Thanks LP and Duncan, will try suggestions. Would like to learn how to use keyboard for more functions as I can type properly and don't get the symptoms from typing. Mouse does have a cord (no wheel) and glides pretty well. Notice that with bottom way back in chair (thanks LP) my feet don't touch the ground so will collect old telephone books or equiv. :rolleyes:

Will check out google suggestions and apply as appropriate.

Just thought of something. Our set up is - mouse on desktop and keyboard underneath in a pull out thingy. Keyboard seems to be ideal height for my typing, but perhaps mouse up on the desk too high(?). Unfortunately mouse won't fit next to keyboard on pull out tray.

Oops son hassling for a turn in this posi. "Are you stilllllll on there."

I will persevere with all this as it's really becoming an issue!

Thanks

By the way - how do I quote and get a blue area??

Bawley

bawley said:
Just thought of something. Our set up is - mouse on desktop and keyboard underneath in a pull out thingy. Keyboard seems to be ideal height for my typing, but perhaps mouse up on the desk too high(?). Unfortunately mouse won't fit next to keyboard on pull out tray.

Sounds like quite an awkward setup.. I've never really liked the idea of a computer desk with a pull out keyboard tray.. very 90's/K-Martish.. I cant see the value in them and they seem to cause more problems with usage than they solve.

I personally went to Mr. Bankrupt, (a now-defunct Adelaide used furniture "market"), and got myself a proper corner ex-office desk for my room. It's large, sturdy, (and as heavy as anything), and it is perfect ergonomically. Another plus is it has a hole at the rear where cords go through, which is useful for me, having two computers on the same desk...

It might be worth thinking about. I think I paid $70 for my used office desk — and it's probably worth a few hundred dollars...

I would never go back to those Ikea-style K-Mart desks, they're just too flimsy and aren't ergonomically sound, in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

bawley said:
By the way - how do I quote and get a blue area??
Three ways:

1. Reply to the post you want to quote using the big "Reply" button. The post will be quoted- you can remove bits if you want

2. When making a post (not a quick reply) there is a button on the RHS above the message area, with a talk balloon- this pops up something where you can insert quoted text

3. Type in [quote ]This text will be put in a blue "quote" box[/quote] - just remove the space after the first "[quote"

geoffw said:
Three ways:

1. Reply to the post you want to quote using the big "Reply" button. The post will be quoted- you can remove bits if you want

2. When making a post (not a quick reply) there is a button on the RHS above the message area, with a talk balloon- this pops up something where you can insert quoted text

3. Type in [quote ]This text will be put in a blue "quote" box
- just remove the space after the first "[quote"[/QUOTE]
Testing, thanks geoffw.

duncan_m said:
Sounds like quite an awkward setup.. I've never really liked the idea of a computer desk with a pull out keyboard tray.. very 90's/K-Martish.. I cant see the value in them and they seem to cause more problems with usage than they solve.

A couple of years ago we had a dedicated area "built in" with x 2 computer stations file draws, hard drives in cupboards, overhead shelves and cupboards etc. Perhaps we could have done better. I thought it was a good idea to have keyboards filed away and retain desk space. Live and learn :) ...............constantly.

geoffw said:
Testing, thanks geoffw.
Hehe, your quote didn't finish properly- it got caught by my "quote" tag.[/QUOTE]

Still going my apprenticeship re the ins and outs, nuances and technotwists of this site :rolleyes:

bawley said:
Still going my apprenticeship re the ins and outs, nuances and technotwists of this site :rolleyes:

Well, at least a you can "experiment" with "quote" tags safely on this forum.

I've used forum software where if you had:

<quote>Quted text</quote></quote>

...then the page formatting would be completely and utterly messed up, leaving either:
  1. A moderator having to delete the thread;
  2. Users having to correct someone's error by making a new post and then offsetting the extra "end quote" tag with: <quote><quote></quote> ;
  3. Or many naïve users doing the same thing to purposely destroy perfectly good threads. :(

This forum uses Jelsoft's vBulletin software, which in my experience, seems to be the most robust and secure. The Somersoft Forums are in good hands... :)

But we digress... :rolleyes:

I have RSI pretty regularly, for the last 10 years or so. The suggestions above are all correct. The other thing I find helpful, particularly when using a pull out desk, is to get something to support your forearms. I have 2 pull out desks. The one that is a corner desk is OK, cause I can support my arm on the desk when I'm using the mouse. Still, my fingers get sore. but on the other desk, I can't use the computer for any length of time when it's unsupported. The pull out desk is good for having the keyboard at a correct height, but it's bad for the extra pressure it puts on having to hold your arms unsupported.

If it continues, see either a physio or an Occupational therapist and get a soft neoprene splint made to support your wrist whilst typing/ using the mouse.

Good Luck!

Pen

Back