Repelling Cats

I Hate Cats.
They are vermin, worse than rats and cane toads. They come into my yard, crap everywhere and sometimes kill birds. So I have been trying to keep them out. Fences, wire, sticks in pots, etc do not work, the vermin can climb. Pepper spray (home made) on surfaces works but only for a few days, not feasible. Lemon and lavender plants supposedly repel cats but they happily crap around them. Ultrasonic not too good either I can usually hear those things also.

Anyone found a surefire way to keep cats out ? I believe in Australia I am legally allowed to kill them since they are pests but I do not really want to do that at this stage since methods would endanger other native life as well.

Get a possum cage and trap them with cat food. Call the local council pound and have them picked up.

Cats should never be allowed to roam free outdoors.

I Hate Cats.
They are vermin, worse than rats and cane toads. They come into my yard, crap everywhere and sometimes kill birds. So I have been trying to keep them out. Fences, wire, sticks in pots, etc do not work, the vermin can climb. Pepper spray (home made) on surfaces works but only for a few days, not feasible. Lemon and lavender plants supposedly repel cats but they happily crap around them. Ultrasonic not too good either I can usually hear those things also.

Anyone found a surefire way to keep cats out ? I believe in Australia I am legally allowed to kill them since they are pests but I do not really want to do that at this stage since methods would endanger other native life as well.
Cats do not crap everywhere.

They do their business and bury it.

Best solution is a vicious dog.

Make sure the dog is very, very secure in the yard with high fences.

You'll possibly be able to pick up an ex-racing greyhound going cheap now. ;)

When my parents were growing up in Cyprus they had this same view point on dogs. When my grandmother came to Australia she used to do the cruelest things to dogs - pour buckets of boiling hot water over them to kill them, bury them alive - other people considered them "pets"!

I think it is unhealthy to have such a strong destructive view point on an animal that has just been captured and domesticated for human companionship through no choice of its own!

Especially when the most destructive, cruelest, most insane and dangerous creature on earth is a human!!

How many native species have you destroyed just so you can have your house and roads?

Give animals a break - they are completely at the effect of humans and their life has no value other than the value humans perceive it to be.

Humans will use animals to express human emotions on, love, hate, family, belonging (as if they were human) or they would value them for meat, work, fur or whatever else! They are completely used, owned and at the effect of humans and now we are judging them for their natural behaviour? How dare a cat act like a cat and offend you?

Give animals a break human!

I had an ex who used to use a small electric fence to keep her cats in, might work in reverse. Used to work on solar i think, so it's environmentally friendly! She only had a small court yard though.

When my parents were growing up in Cyprus they had this same view point on dogs. When my grandmother came to Australia she used to do the cruelest things to dogs - pour buckets of boiling hot water over them to kill them, bury them alive - other people considered them "pets"!

I think it is unhealthy to have such a strong destructive view point on an animal that has just been captured and domesticated for human companionship through no choice of its own!

Especially when the most destructive, cruelest, most insane and dangerous creature on earth is a human!!

How many native species have you destroyed just so you can have your house and roads?

Give animals a break - they are completely at the effect of humans and their life has no value other than the value humans perceive it to be.

Humans will use animals to express human emotions on, love, hate, family, belonging (as if they were human) or they would value them for meat, work, fur or whatever else! They are completely used, owned and at the effect of humans and now we are judging them for their natural behaviour? How dare a cat act like a cat and offend you?

Give animals a break human!

Xenia, the issue is with the owner not the animal. They are responsible for their animals actions.

Hang on City Slickers. Wategos lives near Byron Bay, where all the trendiest tree huggers in Australia go to hang. In his part of the world, cats are public enemy number one.

The tree huggers with the bigger egos drive diesel cars with leather seat covers, but don't let that fool you. They will stop at nothing to save a frog or a beetle in someone else's backyard. They also have an amazing motorway system in their shire, and didn't mind how many dairy farms were resumed to build it.

I take it, Wategos, that you are nothing like your neighbours. I wouldn't dream of stereotyping you ;)

Are you talking about feral cats or your next door neighbors cats?

I'm pretty sure if my neighbor killed my cat I'd be pretty pissed.

I'd be very careful with what you you do.

Personally I bring my cats in at night to prevent them from hunting and being a nuisance.

I'm pretty sure if my neighbor killed my cat I'd be pretty pissed.

So would every other neighbour.

I personally let my cat out at night ... we have a large rabbit warren near the house on our farm and she's a brilliant little rabbit-er ... 2-3 times a week ... bring home the back half for the dog.

And cats "don't" crap everywhere - they are always very careful to bury their waste ... are you sure it's not possum poop?

The argument that cats are destroying loads of wildlife is probably a bit weak given the abundance of road kill all around Aus every morning.

Do you know who the cats belong to? Can you talk to their owners and ask them nicely to please keep their cats indoors at night? As far as I am aware, isn't it law that cats are to be enclosed during the night?

Neighbourhood cats (not direct neighbour), not feral. Some irresponsible owner lets them roam around.
And cats "don't" crap everywhere - they are always very careful to bury their waste ... are you sure it's not possum poop?
They crap in soily areas or around the base of plants in large pots and make a weak attempt at burying it but just kick dirt everywhere. Most of the crap is still visible and stinks.
The argument that cats are destroying loads of wildlife is probably a bit weak given the abundance of road kill all around Aus every morning.
Feral cats have devastated Australian wildlife far more than roadkill, and have caused many species of birds and marsupials to be extinct. I heard there is a law that all cats must have a bell on their neck to warn wildlife ? These do not, they have collars though.

Maybe I will try some special product, or electric shocker sounds good. Poking around the internet seems they don?t like walking on chicken wire so perhaps some of that around plant bases might work. Pepper works but you have to keep putting it there. Got em with the hose once, that was fun.

Back