Repelling Cats

Cats do not crap everywhere.

They do their business and bury it.
In my area, this is not true at all. I'm a cat person. I regularly cat sit my mates cat when he is overseas. She is an indoor cat only and is never allowed to roam. However, as much as I love cats, I know that roaming night-time cats are an utter menance.

Before I had paving put down at my house, neigbourhood cats used the sand outside my window as their toilet. The stench in my room was so bad in summer that I could not open the window. My flatmate had to use bi-carb soda mixed into a watering can to get the stench under control and even then it was noticeable. Putting down paving helped but we still got some cats roaming the yard. Scaring some of them off a couple of times helped but a few got the hose (water, not hitting them). The ones that got soaked never came back :D

In my area, this is not true at all. I'm a cat person. I regularly cat sit my mates cat when he is overseas. She is an indoor cat only and is never allowed to roam. However, as much as I love cats, I know that roaming night-time cats are an utter menance.

Before I had paving put down at my house, neigbourhood cats used the sand outside my window as their toilet. The stench in my room was so bad in summer that I could not open the window. My flatmate had to use bi-carb soda mixed into a watering can to get the stench under control and even then it was noticeable. Putting down paving helped but we still got some cats roaming the yard. Scaring some of them off a couple of times helped but a few got the hose (water, not hitting them). The ones that got soaked never came back :D
Are you talking about urine?

This is true; most male cats will spray.

But the OP was saying that cats cr@p everywhere - they bury the no.2's and spray the no.1's.

I think female cats bury their urine.

Saw a classic at the zoo while in Adelaide over Xmas - the male lion was near the fence, loads of folks crowded in to get a closer look; he turned around and drenched them all.

I have also seen it done at Melb zoo some years ago, so knew not to get right behind him. ;)

Are you talking about urine?
I'm talking about both. The cats in my area did a very poor job of burying their waste. I don't know how common this is. All the cats I have ever had were very particular about burying properly. Not these. They left solids basically around the surface. Not nice outside my bedroom window and very stinky.

I'm talking about both. The cats in my area did a very poor job of burying their waste. I don't know how common this is
Yes these cats do not bury well, they make a mess, most is still visible and it stinks, an acrid chemical type smell. Anyway I am going to try the chicken wire on the soil first and see if that works. Apparently they hate that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cats_in_Australia
Nearly as many ferals cats in Australia as people.

When I was a child we had a pet cat. A couple of our neighbours were cat haters and one complained it would do it's business in their yard. I never believed them. I Was playing at their house one day. My cat came into their yard and squatted on their lawn with no attempt to bury. I was horrified. :eek: it always buried at our house.

I can relate to the line by Renton from the movie Trainspotting;

"I dont like dogs or cats. We should bury them and keep a few in a zoo".

By this reasoning we should all love rats as well. Cat haters have mental health problems ? No that is not why we hate cats. They crap everywhere and they kill native wildlife for fun, my two main reasons.
No, if you are talking about wildlife, you should look more closely at rats.
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/c...mmals-survive-report-says-20130829-2ssvt.html

And, as has been previously mentioned, cats cover their litter, unlike dogs.

I don't know if you have mental health problems, all I know is that anyone that I've ever met who does not like animals, isn't someone that I want to be associated with.

I believe in Australia I am legally allowed to kill them since they are pests but I do not really want to do that at this stage since methods would endanger other native life as well.
BTW, NO, it is not legal to kill cats in Australia, and to even contemplate killing the pet of a neighbour, just because it comes into your yard, well.......I'm speechless.

The correct procedure is the same as if you have a problem with a dog. Phone the council.

I hope I never have the misfortune to meet you!

Ok, tempers are rising here. Time to get things into context.

Cats do really bad damage to native wildlife.

Cats are a natural living thing, sure, but they should be controlled. They seemingly are above the law?

Especially out in the less "occupied" areas, their impact is amplified to the extent that authorities are going to kill cats in an effort to halt extinction of certain species.

Thats the problem faced ok.
So why is it that the domestic cat is somehow exempt from from all this? Is it only feral cats (of which originate from domesticity) that are the problem?

I dont "hate" cats. I hate the destruction they cause in my garden.

So, hate me.

Ive better things to do than hate someone for trying to save the lives of countless wildlife over the bodies of dead cats. The cats not controlled that is.

Too much angst with these topics in SS.

So much hate.

So you guys are all into saving Australian wild life?
And you invest in property? Development???

What else are you doing to actively save wild life?

Back