Repelling Cats

So you guys are all into saving Australian wild life?
And you invest in property? Development???

What else are you doing to actively save wild life?

Dont be so facetious as to bring property development into the issue of cats destroying wildlife.
You know that wild life is considered in impact assessments with property development. Ther are some one off losses sure, but not ongoing as they move outward from the impact zone. But not all is impacted. Much wildlife stays around and can live with human activity as we are (mostly) conservative in their regard. But the cat does not distinguish and it is a problem of sustainability when it comes to other living things. Cats dont hunt to eat they hiunt to play. have you ever seen a cat "play" with another small animal. Its not play, it's cruel.

I am doing my bit to create a wildlife sanctuary in my garden.

If I had a cat now, (we have had them before and did love them) it would be locked up at night and would have at least 3 bells on its collar.

Its totally ridiculous to cast the property development thing across this issue.

If it is, then where is your concern for the wildlife impacted by property development?

is it ok for cats to proceed to kill off species because nasty developers do?

can you see it?

When I was a scientist, there were animal activists out of a lab once with banners against animal cruelty.

I came out and told them that I had 50 rabbits that we were using for control blood samples and they can have them - they now need homes. They have been handled regularly and would make great pets.

Not a single one of those rabbits were homed. Not one of those activists took a rabbit!

We also asked the RSPCA if we could have the animals that were destined to be destroyed. We would give them a lethal dose of anaesthetic and then use the parts we wanted once they were dead. It would save them thousands as anaesthetic is expensive and we would not need to purchase and breed lab animals - they said NO!!

None of this is about saving animals as I bet no one is really doing anything to save animals!

It's about making noise and voicing an opinion against what you don't like - ie cats and justifying a perpetration against other people. It IS a perpetration if you are killing other peoples pets!

Apartheid was also perfectly justified as a way of protecting the interest of white people! It's wrong no matter how you justify it and the insanity is obvious!

Did you even read the link about the impact of the black rat, and the fact that much of the damage that has previously been attributed to cats & foxes, can be attributed to the rat, and the feral cats can help in keeping the rats at bay?

This aside, the OP was talking about someone else's pet, and that he has the right to kill it. He does not have the right to kill it, and it is abhorrent that someone could even think this way.

Yes, owners should be more active in controlling their animals, but this is ALL animals, not just cats. All dogs & cats should be neutered, but alas, this is not done. This would not only reduce the amount of ferals, but also the incidence of animals being euthanized.

We have 5 cats! They have all been neutered, and all of them wear collars & bells. We have a cattery attached to the side of the house, build to both protect the cats from idiots, and to protect birds from cats, however, as they are aging, they don't spend too much time in there anymore. Two of them are 17yrs old. A bird could walk up to them, jump on their heads & they wouldn't batt an eyelid.

Of the three 'babies', who are 8-9 years old, one of them is just as lazy as the older ones & spends all day & night inside, if given the choice. The two others, well, they go out during the day & usually just sleep in the yard. They are inside at night, with access to the cattery.

This aside, the OP was talking about someone else's pet, and that he has the right to kill it. He does not have the right to kill it, and it is abhorrent that someone could even think this way.

My view point also.
How is this not a perpetration against other human beings?

Did you even read the link about the impact of the black rat, and the fact that much of the damage that has previously been attributed to cats & foxes, can be attributed to the rat, and the feral cats can help in keeping the rats at bay?

Yes, owners should be more active in controlling their animals, but this is ALL animals, not just cats. All dogs & cats should be neutered, but alas, this is not done. This would not only reduce the amount of ferals, but also the incidence of animals being euthanized.

We have 5 cats! They have all been neutered, and all of them wear collars & bells. We have a cattery attached to the side of the house, build to both protect the cats from idiots, and to protect birds from cats, however, as they are aging, they don't spend too much time in there anymore. Two of them are 17yrs old. A bird could walk up to them, jump on their heads & they wouldn't batt an eyelid.

Of the three 'babies', who are 8-9 years old, one of them is just as lazy as the older ones & spends all day & night inside, if given the choice. The two others, well, they go out during the day & usually just sleep in the yard. They are inside at night, with access to the cattery.

Obviously from Wategos post not all Cats are the same, neither are the Owners! You are a responsible Cat Owner, unlike others who let theirs roam freely to urinate / defacate outside their own yards.
Confronting the owners about their Cats' roaming would be a good start. There is no law to my knowledge that states we all must love Cats. Just the same for any animal. I'm not particularly fond of snakes, but in no way do I condone killing a neighbour's pet/ pets.
The issue lies squarely with the owners.

Wanting to keep the neighbours' cats out of the yard is understandable - though challenging. Glad to see that the chilli pepper has been working. I know my cats dig little holes in my own backyard because I've seen them. But willing to believe that some cats don't have the right set up at home.
Threatening to kill someone's pet or just going ahead and doing it is a completely different thing: is plain inhumane and wrong and against the law.
Telling everyone you're kind when you're actually a pig-headed insensitive red-neck with an over-developed sense of entitlement is a form of self-sabotage.
This is how the red-necks do it.
They get their dogs and take them out pigging. They justify this cruel entertainment by saying that they're doing farmers a favour.
They make sure they only kill the males so that the females produce more hunting fodder for next year.
While chasing the pigs, both dogs and pigs can be torn apart. Lots of blood.
They're then horrified when their dogs don't know where to draw the line. Instead of just chasing sheep, they kill them. Or bite junior. Or maul the local poodle. Inevitably, dogs used in this way have a short life. Either the ranger comes to take them or their owners have to shoot them.
The 4WDs are set up with spotlights for night-time hunting. Anything that moves will be shot. They like to pretend it's all for cats but they'll shoot anything. Kangaroos are a favourite, possums (look like cats), snakes, birds, anyone.
I once taught a guy - late 20s - who went out shooting every weekend with his dad. He had a very low IQ and was suffering long term depression. Couldn't wait to see the back of him. Completely stuck in his ways and couldn't understand why women were repulsed by him - though very practised in the art of coming across as 'a good bloke'. (The impression very quickly wore off).
One of the reasons 'animal lovers' hate cats is that cats kill birds. These guys love to keep Australian natives in cages. They claim to love these birds.
Setting up a wildlife sanctuary in your backyard doesn't sound realistic. What are you going to do with termites, funnel webs, brown snakes, cockroaches?
What if you tried more of a 'Live and let live' approach?

Last edited:
There is no law to my knowledge that states we all must love Cats. Just the same for any animal. I'm not particularly fond of snakes, but in no way do I condone killing a neighbour's pet/ pets.
The issue lies squarely with the owners.

No, this is true! But to hate something is at the other end of the spectrum. Most people who aren't fond of a particular animal dislike them, but don't hate them, and would certainly not go out to kill them.

Glad you had some luck with chilli powder, it's the one thing I didn't try when attempting to repel my own cat from defecating all over our garden beds and flower pots.

I succeeded in the end - the cat no longer craps in my garden because it lives 30 km away with my mother!

Glad you had some luck with chilli powder, it's the one thing I didn't try when attempting to repel my own cat from defecating all over our garden beds and flower pots.

I succeeded in the end - the cat no longer craps in my garden because it lives 30 km away with my mother!

Way too close! Haha!

Back