Replace or resurface kitchen bench?

My IP has a pocket sized kitchen. Most of the work surface is taken up by a huge stainless steel sink with double drainers. There is a small section of laminated bench top at right angles to the sink, approx 1200 x 600 mm. It is looking very tired and needs a revamp.

I had thought to replace that section with a new piece, either custom-made in laminex or formica (2 weeks' minimum to supply once the board factory has the measurements), or get a Bunnings Kaboodle bench (2400 x 600) at $199, which would need to be cut to fit. However, the existing bench is not altogether square, and has a cut-out where the sink flange finishes, so the fit could be really tricky. The tradie will have to remove the existing bench and use it as a template to cut the new one, I guess.

Then I had a lightbulb moment (rare, but they do happen once a while) and thought about having the bench resurfaced, in situ. I will try to get a ballpark quote and idea of durability from the companies that do this, but was wondering if anyone on the forum had any feedback on what might be the best way to go. The IP is currently empty and I need a quick turnaround.

Have you thought about taking out the massive sink at the same time and replacing it with something a little smaller to make the kitchen work better? You'd be able to get away with a standard bench then :)

Thanks propertunity - I might give this product a try in my own kitchen! If anyone is interested the benchtop transformation pack has a recommended retail price of $349.

Thanks propertunity - I might give this product a try in my own kitchen! If anyone is interested the benchtop transformation pack has a recommended retail price of $349.

Looked like too much of an effort to me. If the existing kitchen is not in the great shape then the transformation pack wont make much difference, I suppose

Willb, I phoned Rustoleum Australia for the location of my nearest stockist, which was a Bunnings store. But gianigranite (as suggested by rahnjets) sells for less than half the price, so looks like a better option, if the finish is just as durable.

There are many shops which provides you a verity of cabinets like gianigranite . Are you looking for a wood or granite benchtop? if you are a DIY person then you can do it own and if not hire a good contractor for a replacing it. Last 2 months ago I completely replace my kitchen and buy a new kitchen from http://www.thertastore.com about $1599. It is brown oak wood with wood white countertop.. You also can visit their website and ask for cabinets of your choice.

Back