Replacing Dishwasher with Washing Machine

All,

I have seperated my house in 2 to rent and am missing a laundry for upstairs. The kitchen currently looks like this

http://imageshack.us/f/832/201108161113141.jpg/

I need to install a front loader either in the pantry to the right of the fridge, or in replacement of the dishwasher. I had planned to install it where the cutlery drawers are but it is only 55 wide and will not fit.

If I choose to replace the dishwasher and put the front loader there i would choose this machine and it would look relativerly the same as it does now.

http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/6kg-front-load-asko-washing-machine-w6903fi.aspx

if I choose to do this would any plumbing modifications need to be made? Do dishwasher inlet and outlet match those of a front loader?

Alternativerly I will get a cheaper front loader and plop it in the pantry thus definetely requiring plumbing work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It's actually quite common for the washing machine to replace the dishwasher. But I think you should only do it in a small apartment where space-saving is a necessity. If you have a house - I would spend the extra bit of money and have a separate laundry area.

Could you put a single drawer dishwasher in the space where the two bottom drawers are and change the dishwasher over to a washing machine?

Or put it in the space to the right of the fridge and then use other cupboards as a pantry (but the existing pantry looks wider than a washing machine so you would need to do some "fixing up").

Looking at it again, that existing pantry seems to be the same width as the microwave, so if a washing machine fits there, you would be left with a nice sized hole between it and the microwave for storage.

Downside with putting it in the pantry position is getting the power and water past the drawers...

The pantry option would be the cheapest although I think its a bit tacky as theres no other real pantry although alot of cupboard space.

We dont really need a dishwasher so I would not really bother with the 2 draw washer although its a good idea.

I am leaning towards replacing the dishwasher with the washing machine the only thing is the washing machine linked is over 3k.

For that I can run power, water and get a decent machine to the pantry for around 1500 and keep the dishwasher

EDIT: The pantry is 60 wide so it will fit perfectly. Also there is a cavity between the drawers to the right of it and the wall which would give space for power and water.

Back