Replastering

Have an IP I want to re plaster with new plaster sheets.
Can I just apply over the old ones with some plaster glue and screws or
will I need to take the old plaster off first.I know this will effect the door jams
and window sills but I plan to renew these as well possible using a winder jam/sill.

Thanks Neil.

Look into cornice adhesive. It is the most magical substance known to mankind. We just gyprocked half a room using the stuff to glue it to the existing solid plaster.

From my very, very limited knowledge plater sheet it shouldn't be too much of an issue, just make sure your screws go into your beams/stud/etc.

yes u can can do, i just did it with a rendered place.
if you have existing plasterboard your best off to screw it in. then patch it with plaster, then top coat.
get some tape for the corner joins and mesh for the reciessed joins.
joins require 2 layers of plaster and 1 layer of topcoate.

not a hard job but you will need to clean the roof for the conrice which is time consuming.

If it is old horse hair plaster, the cheapest way would be to get a plasterer in to skim coat it. You get rid of the bumps and lumps and bits of horse hair often sticking out and it is quite cheap.

If it is old horse hair plaster, the cheapest way would be to get a plasterer in to skim coat it. You get rid of the bumps and lumps and bits of horse hair often sticking out and it is quite cheap.

Thanks.

The gyprock is not all that old maybe 10 years. but to much damage to skimcoat.
The property before my time belonged to a marijuana grower who had holes everywhere
for extra power points, lighting, ventilation extractor fans,and also a sprinkler systems,
just to mention a few.

Last edited:
I see. Could you get a plasterer in to patch the holes, and tape and coat what needs it? Seems a shame to have to redo a whole house, but you know the job and I am only imagining it, so just a suggestion (which I am sure you have already thought of).

We are painting a house right now (another looooong story, for another time) which was just levelled and some new stumps put under. The old horse hair plaster has some major cracks from the levelling, but hubby will cut out the cracked bits, insert gyprock, tape and skim coat himself. This house was actually skim coated several years ago and it came up quite well, but not as nice a finish as gyprock.

u could cut where the holes are from stud to stud and re fix a new piece of board and set it in.

would be a cheaper, quicker option.

what's this?

''I know this will effect the door jams
and window sills but I plan to renew these as well possible using a winder jam/sill''.

it affects the jambs and sills cause your adding 10mm min to all the walls if you relay plasterboard on top.

i used skirting around the doors and a 19mm quad to finish it off. around the windows i just square set them.

Ill be taking pics this weekend as my project is finish (carpet laied on tues tenant moves in on wed lol)

Hah, you beat me. We're still waiting on our carpet, probably will be another few weeks yet. They took 6 months to get the stop beading to us so we could finish the windows ... speedy process.

Back on topic, if its just damaged plasterboard, just fix the holes. Easy, doesn't cost much, no fiddling with windowsills.

when i do up houses and replaster over old coverings i find it faster and cheaper to rip off all the old skirting and architraves ,plaster and then add strips of timber a few mm thicker than the new plaster and refix skirting and architraves to new wall

It would be a lot less work, and cheaper to patch what you have, rather than removing/replacing skirtings and arcs, removing/replacing cornices, getting oversize jambs made (if over 120mm),rehanging doors and packing around windows. Not all arcs and skirtings that are removed will be reusable, and probably none of the cornice. just my 2 cents.

Great advice everyone, gives some help to people with different type problems.
For me I believe it will be less time consuming to replace the gyprock over the old. The plaster has been damaged not only from holes being cut but large gouges and scratches on most of the areas including the door jams from moving what ever drug users use to grow their weed. I also have water damage
from the sprinkler system on some of the lower sections.

Thanks again all.

headaches

Yes you can gyp over the old, but as mentioned you will open a can of worms.
You will have to remove the cornice and skirts and arcs anyway to do a semi reasonable job of it. Will never get it looking right trying to but your plaster up to these elements.,
Then if you do put gyp over the top of old, you will need to replace the door jambs or as mentioned by ARMS, need to add 10mm to each side of the jamb which can get fiddly.
Would take about a day to rip out old gyp.
We regularly do these jobs, and honestly, going over thetop of old is a false economy

Need
1 large bin (6M odd)
1 labourer to extract all rubbish into bin
1 hammer and 1 pinchbar
1 spare day for an average 3 bed home

If this is too much work- just cut and patch that which requires it

Alternatively-Buy large stocks of Panadol or some other pain relief, and place new gyp over old.

cheers

Adrien Mamet
www.mametconstructions.com.au

please do it the right way and patch and remove the old stuff , it just becomes harder when you cut corners and build differantly, from what these products were desighned for??

Back