Residex on immigration cut

Residex on immigration cut (sorry I could not get the graphs in):eek:
http://www.residex.com.au/newsletter/source2009_03aMC.html?content=MC&from=news0309a

Another month passes and things don't get worse, they simply present as more of the same but slightly better.

Consumer confidence can do nothing other than wane in a situation where there is constantly such bad news being dispersed by the press and Government.

It is time to get things into perspective and I suspect for government to recognise that we all know they didn't cause it. They must stop trying to act as if they did and politically protect themselves. If they don't, then their political game will backfire as they send us into a more difficult downturn.

I think it is important for all to stop and recognise that if we have an unemployment number of say 6 to 7% then there is 93% to 94% of the population employed. To put that another way, for every 15 people we meet who are usually employed there will be one who is not. When the unemployment rate was running at 5% then we would meet 1 person in every 20 that was normally employed but is not. Yes, there is a change for the worse, but not a diaster. I am feeling like there is a general "beat up" which needs to stop so the confidence of those who are employed and will remain employed, can lead us all through this downturn.

There are always two ways you can react to a bad position:

1. Take advantage of it and turn it to your benefit or
2. Simply move to solve the immediate problem.

# Our resource states are not responding well to the First Home Buyer Grant. Increasing levels of unemployment are offsetting the benefits. The numbers indicate that there is evidence of growth in the non resource based states.
# There is a clear skew to the bottom half of the market in growth terms. See the table - Analysis of market activity.
# Quartile 1 and 2 represent the bottom half of the market by value. The Percentage represents the change in values in those quartiles.
# It is clear that the Government grant is being absorbed into increasing prices.
# Unfortunately, if the grant comes to an abrupt end and these new borrowers become unemployed then there is going to be increasing level of negative equity and defaults in this group.
# Government needs to urgently consider what it will do at the end of the grant period. Termination may result in the very thing they have been trying to avoid. Further reductions in demand which will increase the rate at which these properties could fall in value in a situation where unemployment increases.
# The growth in the non resource states is encouraging. These markets presently look as if they are now stabilising and moving to a neutral position. Their major period of correction may have passed.

Now back to immigration as it is important from our point of view as investors.

A main factor of our growth has, for a very long time, been an increasing population. It generates jobs and wealth. What would happen if we simply increased immigration in our current situation? If implemented incorrectly, we would see higher levels of unemployment, but if done correctly we have the basis of burgeoning growth.

Spend our budget wisely and we can afford to maintain our current level of immigration and drive our economy. Cut back immigration as proposed and we are simply providing a knee jerk reaction in a very unthinking way but saving our political scalp with the unions. Think laterally and perhaps we can placate the unions and still allow high levels of immigration and drive forward our economy.

So what is the impact of the announcements today?

It has both an immediate and a long term effect on the housing market, as all new arrivals require immediate accommodation (usually rentals) and most will seek to own a home in the medium term.

The 14% cut in skilled migrant arrivals is around 18,500 people, or an overall cut of 8.7%, as there were 213,000 permanent overseas migrant arrivals in 2007/08. This translates into a need for 8,000 less rentals than would otherwise have been required in a market where there is a current unmet demand for around 50,000 dwellings. However, the cuts will not hit the rental market equally throughout the country, as the unmet demand is much greater in some states than others. NSW has 63% of Australia's unmet demand, Victoria has 16% and WA has 14%.

In addition, the immigration cuts will also be greater in some cities than others as they have been made in the construction and manufacturing employment streams, where job losses have been greatest. Most of the migrants in these streams come from the UK and New Zealand and the rental markets most impacted by the reduction are Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide, with the biggest intakes of migrants from the UK and New Zealand. Perth has 36% of its permanent arrivals from the UK, and Adelaide has 29%, while 38% of Brisbane's permanent arrivals come from New Zealand.

The graph shows the effect of the current cut in migration on the housing shortage in the states over 2 years.

The reduction will hit demand for rental accommodation mostly in Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth. This will lead to increased occupancy rates and lower rents. Reduced rents will lessen demand for owner occupied housing by prospective home buyers as it once again makes renting a less costly alternative to buying. This then lowers demand for houses and units for purchase, making housing a less attractive option for investors in terms of both growth and rent return.

In addition, the graph shows that the current reduction will erase the housing shortage in Brisbane and Adelaide and significantly reduce the shortage in Perth over the next two years.

A downward spiral is being set in train in these states which will lead ultimately to a reduction, not just in housing price growth, but in the attractiveness of the market for investors.

What would have been better policy?

Our Government has or is about to spend $20 billion by way of consumer handouts. There can be no guarantee that this will have any long term effect. Immigration does have long term economic benefits.

Some simple and quick calculations indicate that we probably could spend less than $1 billion and maintain our current immigration numbers. If we simply went to research companies such as CSL and our Universities and offered to provide subsidies for people where they set up specific research projects, employed a fixed percentages of the highest skilled immigrants to support the projects then we could maintain our current immigration numbers. We simply need to shift our emphasis from one part of the economy to another. Would the unions suffer? Yes in the short term, but in the longer term they would be better off as this class of highly intelligent immigrants would generate wealth and jobs for others. We would have new industries for the future. Surely we should be considering significant solar energy research projects or alternative energy development research. Our housing markets would not suffer as is going to happen. The current approach in the short term looks as if it should save jobs, but will it? No, we will need fewer dwellings, food and services and thus there will be fewer jobs. In a way the action of government to the immigration position is like the trade protectionism that we all agree is bad and shouldn't be pursued.

We have heard about needing to be the smart country. Well now is the time, let's not waste our saved billions, let's spend it to make us exactly that, the smart country.

Enough of my lateral thinking, do we continue to invest in housing?

Yes, but we need accept the reality of what Government is doing. This will probably be only the first of the reductions in immigration, so save your investing strength for the state which will do best in this environment, New South Wales. Its failures to provide housing are now our savour. Look for bargains in Sydney. But please do your research so you buy in the right area at the right price. Please use our reports so there is very limited downside.

Regards,

John Edwards

The announced immigration cut will reduce Australia's population growth rate from 1.7% to 1.6% per annum, which is still one of the fastest growth rates in the world. Much higher than USA (0.9%), UK (0.4%) or Japan (negative).

Last edited:
I like to read John Edwards' stuff but his consistent prediction for Sydney's superior growth just around the corner makes me laugh. He said this in 2005 when I heard him speak for the first time and many times since and I guess as long as he sticks to it it will be true again one day...

kaf

I guess as long as he sticks to it it will be true again one day... kaf
Yes, as the saying goes - even a broken watch tells the time correctly twice a day :)

edit: But in fairness to John, I do agree that a turnaround in RE's fortunes generally begin in Sydney. Also it is, as he says in the newsletter, least affected by the resources thing and has more unmet demand.

Hi

It's not my intention to make John Edwards look stupid, he can do that without my help.

As an investor in Sydney since 1997, I would almost be inclined to do the opposite of what spruikers like John Edwards would recommend.

I would actually go further and say that such individuals should be banned from spruiking their business on the site because there is an obvious conflict of interest between their business interests and the purpose of this forum.

In case anyone thinks I'm being harsh (and I'm sure John's employees/ supporters/ family will think I am) let me remind you of one comment from the archives from December 2005 (from this forum) - "John Edwards of Residex was recently quoted as saying "Our analysis tells us that the worst is over. Our data is pointing to a (Sydney) market that has bottomed and is showing all the signs of moving forward into a new growth cycle.""

The comments were made in the context of promoting the sale of Residex publications identifying the best locations for such "new growth".

The above quote by John, if correctly attributed, could amount to a criminal deception against consumers since such remarks, with hindsight, appear to be reckless, negligent and misleading.

Tony

I would actually go further and say that such individuals should be banned from spruiking their business on the site because there is an obvious conflict of interest between their business interests and the purpose of this forum.

But he wasn't here spruiking.

The above quote by John, if correctly attributed, could amount to a criminal deception against consumers since such remarks, with hindsight, appear to be reckless, negligent and misleading.

How are we to know in the future, with hindsight, if his predictions are proven correct, that your spruiking/predictions wont be viewed in the same way?

Dave

Residex on immigration cut (sorry I could not get the graphs in):eek:
http://www.residex.com.au/newsletter/source2009_03aMC.html?content=MC&from=news0309a

I think it is important for all to stop and recognise that if we have an unemployment number of say 6 to 7% then there is 93% to 94% of the population employed. To put that another way, for every 15 people we meet who are usually employed there will be one who is not. When the unemployment rate was running at 5% then we would meet 1 person in every 20 that was normally employed but is not. Yes, there is a change for the worse, but not a diaster. I am feeling like there is a general "beat up" which needs to stop so the confidence of those who are employed and will remain employed, can lead us all through this downturn.

Regards,

John Edwards

What a tool. I bet he doesn't know how the unemployment rate is calculated.

In case anyone thinks I'm being harsh (and I'm sure John's employees/ supporters/ family will think I am) let me remind you of one comment from the archives from December 2005 (from this forum) - "John Edwards of Residex was recently quoted as saying "Our analysis tells us that the worst is over. Our data is pointing to a (Sydney) market that has bottomed and is showing all the signs of moving forward into a new growth cycle.""

The comments were made in the context of promoting the sale of Residex publications identifying the best locations for such "new growth".

Tony

In 2005, the majority of economists and analysts were forecasting blue skies ahead for property and equity markets. And they were right. These markets grew strongly in 2006 and 2007. The Sydney median house price rose by about 10% over 2006 and 2007. Then the GFC arrived and equity markets fell by about 50% and property markets have fallen by about 3%. However an average person who bought a property in Sydney in 2005 would still be in positive territory. An investor who selected well could expect to do even better.

Residex is currently warning investors not to buy in Perth, since more falls are expected. I believe they call it as they see it.

Most analysts and economists did not see the GFC coming, and those who did have been calling it for decades... I think they called 10 of the past 1 GFCs... stopped clock and all that.

Hi Boatboy

In relation to my comments on the unethical bias brought to this forum by the likes of John Edwards and other who have a product to sell, and promote that product on this forum through reckless and misleading statements. You say,

"But he wasn't here spruiking."

I suggest you reread his post - the last sentence reads:

"Please use our reports so there is very limited downside." I can't see how that is not "spruiking".

My point being that people look to this forum for unbiased advice, and not unsolicited advertisements spruiking a product. One wonders how many people are in financial hardship because they followed such (biased) advice.

Tony

Hi Boatboy

In relation to my comments on the unethical bias brought to this forum by the likes of John Edwards and other who have a product to sell, and promote that product on this forum through reckless and misleading statements. You say,

"But he wasn't here spruiking."

I suggest you reread his post - the last sentence reads:

"Please use our reports so there is very limited downside." I can't see how that is not "spruiking".

My point being that people look to this forum for unbiased advice, and not unsolicited advertisements spruiking a product. One wonders how many people are in financial hardship because they followed such (biased) advice.

Tony

As far as I am aware, John Edwards does not post on this forum.

Propertunity was just posting an article from an external source, for our information. Up to us what we do with that information.

(OK, on rereading the first post, I guess it might have been better to put the article in quotes).

Cheers,

Shadow.

Last edited:
I doubt prices will fall 40%. Why? Because they have already fallen in UK and US they would of fallen here too at roughly the same time.

Why did property prices fall in the US? Surprise, but also because there was a lot of housing oversupply there (The US has a 19 year high in housing oversupply according to NAB). It's going to take a while to get rid of all that inventory (esp. with a population growth rate of 0.9%). With the declining house prices US banks faced liquidity problems and pulled their overseas investments back to the US (into US Gov. Bonds). US Banks want $$$ back (from anyone who borrowed short term in liquid investments, etc) and so they start to order hedge funds/margin lending/etc to liquidate their holdings... Stocks fall 40%. Investment banks (and insurance companies) don't have the liquidity to pay their debts and so start to fail.
Britian has the same problems in oversupply and, particularly In Britain, banks stop lending to one another and credit market froze. Suddenly no one will give you a mortgage in Britain. When no one lends, housing prices start to fall fast.

Australian Banks are still lending (though they are tightening their belts) and we still have a shortage of housing...

I doubt prices will fall 40%. Why? Because they have already fallen in UK and US they would of fallen here too at roughly the same time.

Why did property prices fall in the US? Surprise, but also because there was a lot of housing oversupply there (The US has a 19 year high in housing oversupply according to NAB). It's going to take a while to get rid of all that inventory (esp. with a population growth rate of 0.9%). With the declining house prices US banks faced liquidity problems and pulled their overseas investments back to the US (into US Gov. Bonds). US Banks want $$$ back (from anyone who borrowed short term in liquid investments, etc) and so they start to order hedge funds/margin lending/etc to liquidate their holdings... Stocks fall 40%. Investment banks (and insurance companies) don't have the liquidity to pay their debts and so start to fail.
In Britain, banks stop lending to one another and credit market froze. Suddenly no one will give you a mortgage in Britain. When no one lends, housing prices start to fall fast.

Australian Banks are still lending (though they are tightening their belts) and we still have a shortage of housing... The two conditions needed to make prices fall fast. And lets be honest - not everywhere in the US/UK have property prices plunged 40%.... (Media).

With our immigration, shortage of housing stock, low interest rates, FHOG+FHOB ($21K for new dwelling) and banks still lending (and Fed Gov. stimulus) and I think it's not too bad for property in Australia over the medium term.

I doubt prices will fall 40%.

the ***** hasnt really hit the fan here yet so dont be super confident in your statement just yet....id hate to see a 40% correction quickly but i can see up to another 20% drop in my opinion in a sliding market until 2011 at least........property is still way overpriced in this country compared with the average wage earners pay packet.

i can see issues down the track with low priced housing as soon as inflation kicks in and rates start to spike.....theres going to be some punters burnt........rent returns are going to be excellent next 3 -4 years...

lotto numbers for sat night: 33,34,8,7,9,40

disclaimer: just my opinion based on a nice morning coffee and vegemite on toast.

enjoy your day! ;-)

Back