restrict the building cost through architecture design

Hi guys,
Any further improvements can I do, I welcome and thank your ideas and suggestions. Let's discuss and learn!
Ryan

Ryan see attached for my suggestions, i stress they are just that, I have made the same comments I would if it was my own development.

My largest gripe is with the laundry if I had got that my immediate response to the architect would be "how long did you spend thinking of that?" it has a feel of just being shoved somewhere. the MASSIVE WIR is not far behind either.

from my experience the way the architect revised the plan was a bit rushed so tread carefully when asking him to make more changes you will find he may "loose it".

Dont know your architect and he maybe "great" but again just expressing an opinion.

Also maybe speak to a town planner to review your plans rather than go off with what your architect says. I am yet to find an architect that does plans and planning great. His comment of 5 bedrooms maybe an issue sounds a bit arbitrary (he might be right) but having a non-enclosed study surely is a work around albeit it poor because it would have been nice to have a 5th bedroom if wanted? (you wouldnt get much $$ in return for a 5th bedroom - depends on your target market\area)

Regardless a study fits nicely there (where the WIR is)

Feel free to comment or ask for clarification on any of my opinions which i expressed on the attachement.

Good luck

Attachments

• Sketch_New_For_Forum.pdf
    155.4 KB · Views: 120
hahah

Hhhmmm all a little confusing for me at this moment.

Honestly I don't think he has looked to much into it, looking at the WIR in bedroom four instantly does not add up, why would you want so much wasted space . its not a master , it has no attached bathroom.

I have the feeling this is his last change for you , more intent on pushing it out the door and moving onto thenext customer. ( they do this and don't like to be questioned about their own poor designs)

Ryan I feel it pointless giving 2cents worth as your architect is not taking these things into account..but hey that's normal.

Best of luck

Just read your post after i wrote mine, it was that obvious wasn't it. I dont know why architects take it so personally when you ask for changes and get this attitude of why must i now think HOW to incorporate your requests into my brilliant original plan...

its obvious the laundry and WIR were just SHOVED in the existing floor layout, my personal strong opinion would be to redo the entire plan into something more effective but dont have the heart to say that...

wooops i just did... but seriously a better solution can be found that what was provided theres a lot of space to play with.

I made a drawing myself this time

Thanks guys so much!

Last night, I read all your suggestions again. And I still strongly love Muffin's drawing, I believe it will save quite a lot of building cost!

Based on Muffin's design, I added the measuring size for each room and simplified the entry door design, which has been attached here as well. Could you please let me know how do you think about this plan?

My decision is: if you guys prefer this as well, I would try my best to let my architect follow this plan and not bother him too much to work out a good one based on his ideas/experiences.

Thanks

Ryan

Attachments

• house plan new.jpg
    house plan new.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 97
latest plan

Ryan,

I know you changed the door probably due to my suggestion but I would suggest leaving it as is. Where you have placed it will look akward. Having the kitchen in a line of sight isnt the best but its still better than having the meals area instead.

Plus from the exterior the central door is the most logical.

Unless you can change the kitchen design then i would suggest to live with it.

Apart from that you remind me of the days when i sit and design redesign my own plans, not saying its bad but you will learn soon enough how to hand hold architects into what you want without designing it for them.

From what you have shown the architect should get the jist of what you want and produce a good plan, for instance the hallways as you have em arnt the best but thats because this is a mock up not a plan.

Dont stress!! just give it to the architect and explain, what you want in words and dont hang up until he recites word for word what you ask for dont let him say "leave it to me".

Good luck

you will learn soon enough how to hand hold architects into what you want without designing it for them.
Dont stress!! just give it to the architect and explain, what you want in words and dont hang up until he recites word for word what you ask for dont let him say "leave it to me".

Exactly!

What annoys me is that a number of times I have said to such people I want a design , do what you feel is good.
I expected some thing great from them with years of experience selecting the best of best but all they have ever produced is TOTAL trash.
I actually thought it was a april fools joke when they handed me the design.

It blows me away these people are trained and skilled in this area but cannot design quality when given freedom.

I gonna make the final decision

Great! As your guys have much more experiences than me, plus I love Muffin's design much better than my architect's, I will ask the architect just follow what this design means, and work out a professional looking drawing for me :D

Thanks heaps! You guys are awesome!

If my development doesn't bother our forumates here, I gonna learn from MichaelWhite to share my whole development process here! Just hope it could give those new guys some help as what I've got ;)

Cheers

Ryan

Exactly!
It blows me away these people are trained and skilled in this area but cannot design quality when given freedom.

My problem is this, there are architects out there that can truly do amazing designs however they charge $$$ and are very slow and will ignore completely any budget/brief you set out. So you get a design you cannot build or at least build with a profit.

Then on the other end you have architects which are more draftsman than architect who just churn out generic plans for builders/developers. The plans themselves are template in design appropriate for builders who have their inbuilt margin and don't care about yield but as soon as a pure developer wants to squeeze 1 more house/unit in the architect just "shoves it in" and gets annoyed because if you ask for it better you can almost sense they want to say but thats not what i charged you? i charged you for me to photocopy a previous plan NOT to actually do anything.

If you find an architect somewhere in the middle in short an architect that LISTENS at the start actually reads the architects brief that i write. In addition produces a plan where if there are any differences to the brief explains why based on his experience is a better solution NOT just spit crap out and force it through and get annoyed when i say "can you find a better solution for this and that" which is just a polite way of saying .. "can you change the sh*t you just gave me into something i would build and more importantly can sell?"

hahah you can tell this topic burns me so ill stop here and clear the froth from my mouth.

Cheers,

TC

Design has been past to architect again, waiting ......

Hi TC,

I have no idea which category my architect is belonged to :confused: Hopefully, he is the one sometimes does take client's suggestions!

I've past the kind of self-made drawing to him, and been waiting for his response, a little bit nervous about how to explain to him to go back this design which I had shown him before, but after his explanation of his design, I followed his design before :eek:

Cheers

Ryan

Back