Restumping brick house with brick piers

Hi Guys

I am working on a deal at the moment but the place has a quite a few cracks that are nearly from top to bottom. with a couple of bricks cracked in half.

I have had my builder up to look at it and he said it is somewhere in the range of 20 to 40k but could be more (he said he did a place about 3 down and had to go to about 4.5 m down to find a different soil) to fix but the problem is not likely to be fixed for good.

The soil is black clay which is prone to expanding and shrinking in wet.

I just want to hear some alternative ideas on how to fix as this deal could have the potential to make 15 to 60k. depending on what it cost to fix which is not really quatifiable as far as im told.

1. There is space under the floor about 1 metre. Get under and dig until i get to the good stuff.

2. Rip the floor up and get a guy that can drill down to the good stuff. This would be a shame as there is nice floorboards under the carpet that i would like to use but i would be ok with ripping them up.

3. walk away as it is to much risk versus reward.

Many Thanks in advance.

WillB

I just want to hear some alternative ideas on how to fix as this deal could have the potential to make 15 to 60k. depending on what it cost to fix which is not really quatifiable as far as im told.

1. There is space under the floor about 1 metre. Get under and dig until i get to the good stuff.

Many Thanks in advance.

WillB
You would have very limited safe working area with one metre,and 4.5 mts straight down for the pillars,the floor would have too come up to reset the pillars,then all doors windows,walls,,and if the bottom line is 15k then your reno costs would blow that out the back door real quick..imho..

I'd be walking - restumping and rewiring and replumbing - basically any unseen improvement - doesn't put on any increase in value for the cost.

IMO do not restump. The brick piers are meant to spread the concentrated house load so that it is diffused in the soil. If they are still intact and look undamaged, they do not need to be changed. However, the crack in the brick wall is symptomatic that certain piers may have settled more than others. I would level underfloor with metal shims using a long jack eg from Kennards. You need to spread the jacked up weight with heavy timber blocks to avoid localised stress damage anywhere.

Thanks for the replies.

This 15k is if it costs me 40k to fix. If its is this much i wont be doing it as its not worth it.

IMO do not restump. The brick piers are meant to spread the concentrated house load so that it is diffused in the soil. If they are still intact and look undamaged, they do not need to be changed. However, the crack in the brick wall is symptomatic that certain piers may have settled more than others. I would level underfloor with metal shims using a long jack eg from Kennards. You need to spread the jacked up weight with heavy timber blocks to avoid localised stress damage anywhere.

Are you saying leave the brick piers in and add extra stumps wooden under the house to help releave the load on the brick piers and then pack the brick piers to level it back out.

I am meeting with my builder on monday morning and a bricky to go through everything and to see how much it will cost.

Will let you know how i go.

If i proceed with this i will post up some photos and some numbers.

Cheers for the help.

WillB

Thanks for the replies.

This 15k is if it costs me 40k to fix. If its is this much i wont be doing it as its not worth it.

Are you saying leave the brick piers in and add extra stumps wooden under the house to help releave the load on the brick piers and then pack the brick piers to level it back out.

I am meeting with my builder on monday morning and a bricky to go through everything and to see how much it will cost.

Will let you know how i go.

If i proceed with this i will post up some photos and some numbers.

Cheers for the help.

WillB

From my perspective if there is no restumping, it cannot cost more than $5k to fix. Try to get another quote before going ahead.

I mentioned the heavy timber blocks that need to be used as packing if underfloor jacking up is required. It is temporary.

Met with my builder and went through it all. Way to much work for the dollars they are after.

Onto the next one.

Thanks for all the input

Back