resurfaced bathtub reveals itself (not in a good way!)

Hi All,

I've got an issue with our first IP (which we've only had for 3 months). The bathtub has been resurfaced previously but has recently started to lose it's coating in a couple of different spots.

peelingbathpaint6-139almaroadoct-2.jpg

peelingbathpaint6-139almaroadoct-1.jpg

We plan to move in there march 2008 (when the fixed lease expires) and will most likely renovate at that point, so we'd like to keep costs down and potentially only need a band-aid solution, but perhaps the extent of the damage may determine the most suitable course of action. From where I see it we have 3 options (in order of $ preference):

- repair bath DIY style
- repair bath professionally
- replace bath professionally

Can anyone off any price estimates, advice. I'm reasonably handy with stuff, but not that experienced when it comes to home repairs.

Thanks for your time.

Could be time to get the white spray paint out..... maybe the appliance white or an autmotive one? Not sure how long they last though.... (might hav to keep resparying every inspection) :D

Cheers,

The Y-man

I had the same problem. Once the water gets under the paint bubbles will just keep forming and the paint peeling. In the end we had the bath re-sprayed as we were selling the house.

thanks Gee Cee, that's what I was afraid of. I was hoping to try to sand it back to where is there is some adheasion and paint it. I guess I've only got a few hours to lose by doing the DIY and cross the fingers...

About 20 years ago we paid a prominent Brisbane "boutique" bathroom company big money to resurface our bath and basin. Both peeled within a few months and, rather than deal with these people again, had somebody else look at the basin when we pulled it out to replace it. Turns out our expensive "resurfacing" job was just car body paint.

Foolish of them, because we told two people, they told two people........

If you are only wanting this to last for another four months, I would do the cheapest job you can get away with.

I painted a bath with one of those two pack paints a few years ago - I'm assuming it was a White Knight. It wasn't a bad job and held up well for a about 3 yeras. But I got all the paint of the bath first and spent ages preparing it. Being a freestanding bath made it easier. Not sure I would attempt a patch job. And I'm certain that next time I need to do that bath I'll get someone else to do it.

Hey, did you know there is a 50c piece in your bath?

Scott

yes, yes I do Scott - that's my 50c piece*. I've always been known to be a bit of on the flashy side with my money, another example I guess but I rekon if ya got it, flaunt it :)

*plenty more where that come from!

yes, yes I do Scott - that's my 50c piece*. I've always been known to be a bit of on the flashy side with my money, another example I guess but I rekon if ya got it, flaunt it :)

*plenty more where that come from!

No sooner do interest rates start heading South and you're splashing money all over the place like a mad womans milkshake :)

anyone recommend a good ...err...bath-repair guy in inner melbourne - the property is in st kilda east.

I promise not to pay in moist 50c pieces...

thanks.

thanks Gee Cee, that's what I was afraid of. I was hoping to try to sand it back to where is there is some adheasion and paint it. I guess I've only got a few hours to lose by doing the DIY and cross the fingers...

Hi Buckerooni,
Did you end up resurfacing the bath or just scrapping it altogether with a brand new one?

If you resurfaced, how are the results being a year along?

Also did you use resurface spray or paint? (i hear paint bubbles once water gets under)
Thanks!

Hi Buckerooni,
Did you end up resurfacing the bath or just scrapping it altogether with a brand new one?

If you resurfaced, how are the results being a year along?

Also did you use resurface spray or paint? (i hear paint bubbles once water gets under)
Thanks!

I am also interested, looking to restore my current bath tub instead of forking out for a new one.

Hey, did you know there is a 50c piece in your bath?

Scott
Not filthy lucre, clean lucre
120 year old cast iron clawfoot tub
outside to shed (insert assorted swear words, heavy as)
sandblast the vitreous stuff off (insert assorted swear words definitely need extractor unit)
two part epoxy (also think white knight) 2 coats white interior black exterior and claws, 3 coats clear resin ( resin was opened and it seemed like a good idea ) 4 years and going fine

doors 32 1/2inch tub 32 1/2inch wiggle twist wiggle twist

Never, Never, going to do it again

Back