Return on Investment for Renovated Benchtop?

Hi,

I'm currently preparing an investment property for rent.
The kitchen bench top is serviceable, but the Laminex has faded in parts. I was considering a cosmetic update such as Rustoleum or White Knight Laminate paint, but a real estate agent who looked at the bench top said, "Leave it as is."
Before putting time and money into it, I'd want to know the likelihood of a tenant paying more for an aesthetically pleasing bench top. Any opinions?

Thanks.

Be guided by the agent.
And if you do anything, a painted benchtop with a tenant is going to end in tears. You will need a new benchtop.

Scott is spot on- WK laminate paint won't last and will end up looking messier when it starts to lift/peel. Trust me on this - I've been there :D

If you feel it would make a massive difference then you can either replace altogether or consider a granite transformation type refurbishment. I've done both in various kitchens however they weren't necessarily just to increase yield but were part of a bigger project. Best of luck whatever way you go.

Good advice above.
Curious- what price property are we talking and what rent?

Makes a huge difference whether it's a $300K or a $600K+ house.

Thanks for the replies.
All things considered, I'll leave it as is, and replace the bench top when or if necessary.

travelbug- it's in a $600K+ house.
Jacque - I've used White Knight tile paint in my own home with good results on vertical surfaces, although bench tops may be a different story.

Scott is spot on- WK laminate paint won't last and will end up looking messier when it starts to lift/peel. Trust me on this - I've been there :D

If you feel it would make a massive difference then you can either replace altogether or consider a granite transformation type refurbishment. I've done both in various kitchens however they weren't necessarily just to increase yield but were part of a bigger project. Best of luck whatever way you go.

I agree with this too.

Personally though I've found going to stone masons directly and finding some leftovers ends up being cheaper than granite transformations

Back