Rich Dad 2009

Hi Marc.

Please excuse my ignorance, but by the above statement, do you mean;

if advertised business is quoting 100K profit P/A, that you would be willing to pay 200K for the purchase of the business?

Sounds obvious, but just wanted clarification.

Regards
Marty

This is pretty much it.

As Sunfish and Chilliaa have both stated; it's not this simple, and it also depends on the industry and business type.

From my angle it's to do with the borrowings and what the lenders deem to be lend-worhty.

Sunfish mentioned businesses that haven't made a profit; such as a gold mine.

If it is an established gold mine and you have some survey proof of ounces in the ground, I guess you are buying based on the potential income from it.

What I don't know is, in that situation, and if you were the purchaser of the mine, and had to use finance to purchase, how do the lenders view the "potential" of the income from the ounces in the ground as a security for the finance? Do they even consider it?

If I owned the sort of biz people here want ie something which has enough income to pay for full management which can run itself, you wouldn't get it from me cheaply. :D

I guess it's one of those "how long is the string?" situations, SF.

In the case of the business we are buying, there is currently no manager.

The owner runs it and pays staff. He is the manager as well, and earns a good income.

When we looked at buying it, my first equation was; "is there enough profit in this to replace the owner's income with a manager and still pay me a wage?"

It turns out there is. I won't earn as much as he has been after the manager is paid, but I won't be doing anywhere near the hours either. I'll be earning about half the owner's income, but for about 1/5 the hours. I'm happy with that.

It is our decision to put a manager in after purchase, so are you saying that if there was a manager in place already it should sell for more just based on that?

I looked at a couple of other businesses with similar figures - slightly higher turnover, stock level, nett profit and fully managed. The asking prices were pretty much the same in % terms.

These businesses didn't build in a premium on the asking price just because they are fully managed, so are you saying they should have, or would it have been just something you would have done as a personal decision?

Is this referring to deposits lost? I don't understand this sentence C.[/QUOTE]

They purchased the business because it was 'cheap' selling at only 2.5 times profit. What they didnt realise is the the profit had peaked, and the business was a 'commodity' type business (ie low barriers to entry), so new entrants to the market place were saturating the market. The more competition enters the market place, the better the skill set of the owner needs to be to compete.

Both these businesses failed under the new operators within a few years.

Another one of my ex businesses sold at a profit multiple of 4-5 times, and to my knowledge its still there, but it had a low rent, and a restraint of trade clause attached to the lease that prevented other neighbouring businesses (all property in the area owned by a single institution), from selling its products.

It is our decision to put a manager in after purchase, so are you saying that if there was a manager in place already it should sell for more just based on that?
Not really. But clearly profits after paying a manager are far more valuable than those for an owner operated one. Let's assume the business under owner/management has EBIT of $100k/a the value is limited because you could not really put in a manager and get a fair risk weighted return on $200k investment. If it had an EBIT of $200k you could employ a manager and still have $100k/a which would easily pay any finance and pocket a nice income. That business I would not sell to you for $400k. If there were significant barriers to entry and a safe long term lease (There is only one pro-shop on a golf course with a safe lease and a superannuant ex-public servant can't compete, for example) I would decline any offer under $750k.

Chilly mentions what his hero, Buffett, calls a moat, ie Barriers to entry, possibly the only one of his (Buffett's) oft quoted mantras I agree with. If I were buying I'd look closely at these barriers and be willing to pay real money if they are strong.

Another thing I would look at is how long the biz had been established and try to find out how well the existing owner has prospered. A mate of mine has run an agency with established territories and has done well. Quite comfortable, thank you! For some reason no buyer would commit. They seemed to be fearful. If it were in my line I would have grabbed it without doing a minute disection of the figures. Equally I could buy a vending business after only a cursory study of the "accountant's figures" (a more detailed examination of the equipment and sites though). A long established vending run is perfectly safe from a frontal attack (unless your manager turns on you, one reason I don't like managers :eek:) because your venders are scattered and 90% of your clients would be loyal if you had served them well.

As with everything in life you must pay for quality, it's permanent. The price is temporary. That's quite different to suburban housing so you must think differently. You are buying a business, not an income!

BTW I don't like cabs but you don't get them for twice EBIT. :)

Not really. But clearly profits after paying a manager are far more valuable than those for an owner operated one. Let's assume the business under owner/management has EBIT of $100k/a the value is limited because you could not really put in a manager and get a fair risk weighted return on $200k investment.
This is true, and the reason why I stopped looking at businesses at this pricepoint ages ago. You have to be in them every hour yourself. Some people want that, and maybe that's all they can afford too.

If it had an EBIT of $200k you could employ a manager and still have $100k/a which would easily pay any finance and pocket a nice income. That business I would not sell to you for $400k.
Now you're talking! This is where we are at pricewise. The business we are buying is netting approx $200k, and is asking $380k - which we offered. I think this is about the entry-level for this type of scenario, based on my trawling.
Anything less doesn't ever seem to have enough "padding" to whack a manager in.
In the case of a business of this size asking 4 or 5 times nett, which was mentioned earlier, and what you elude to as the price you'd want to sell it for, it defeats itself as a viable prospect (for me) because the extra finance costs would wipe out much of the profit you would pay yourself as a wage - you would be forced to work it yourself and get rid of the manager, which is not my goal.
No doubt there are folk who will pay those numbers for a business, but it's a lot of money to fork out and still be tied to the 40+hour week job. If I'm going to go that path, I could do it with a $100k fish and chip shop and still make a similar income. Pass.
You end up only being able to sell to an owner/manager, and one with LOTS of other equity to use as currently the Banks won't lend on those numbers you want. They want to see servicability; not potential servicability.
As with everything in life you must pay for quality, it's permanent. The price is temporary. That's quite different to suburban housing so you must think differently. You are buying a business, not an income!
No; I'm buying an asset that has a good income. But like all assets, there's a degree of involvement from the owner of course.

My head is here now; if I have $500k to spend, what's the best way to leverage that to increase my income NOW?

I used to think; buy another property, then another, then another. So, we did that.

The problem with that has been this; after nearly 8 years at this investing caper, we have built up some nice asset wealth, but still don't swan around like James Packer living the life from the income it doesn't generates.

Time to get serious and make some income from it.

So, now my mind is thus; each $500k of equity to spend will nett me $100k per year to spend (or more) and bugger-all grinding away to get it. That's a 20% nett return on yield.

Could I whack it in shares and get a better dividend return? Maybe; but I don't have the expertise to accomplish that and I doubt the ability to protect the capital from a sudden loss.

Last edited:
Off to see Bob

I'm off the see Robert Kiyosaki next week.

I entered a competition Money Magazine was running and just found out I was one of the four winners. All registered (I won two tickets) and shall be attending with my cousin who is from Sydney.

I've enjoyed his books and the way he articulates his ideas and the metaphors he uses. Amongst other authors, his "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" book was one of the cataylsts that prompted me to re-enter the investing arena again after a (lengthy :rolleyes: ) hiatus that has been well documented elsewhere on this forum.

It will be interesting to hear what spin he puts on the current events and any new analogies and lessons he has. As I am looking forward to it, I have no doubt my time will be well invested. :)

I'm off the see Robert Kiyosaki next week.

I entered a competition Money Magazine was running and just found out I was one of the four winners. All registered (I won two tickets) and shall be attending with my cousin who is from Sydney.

Guess who one of the other winners was????
I've booked flights and hotel. I'm good to go.
See ya there!!!!!!!!!

once I found this book in my local library:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Want-Y...r_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241064347&sr=1-16

After twenty odd pages it almost made me vomit, book full of words which tells nothing - pure money making machine from book publishing.

I haven't read this one.

And, I saw it on the shelf somewhere and it immediately gave me the feeling that they were "milking" it.

By the sounds of it, sometimes you can judge a book by its cover!

I think a lot of it depends on where you are in the journey.

For an eager newb, this book is probably a revelation.

Two Roberts for the price of none

Yeah, way!
Clearly Player and I have work to do on our wealth creation mindset.
The Universe has sent us this opportunity to address that issue and build a financial future for ourselves.
I hope to get something out of it and mix with some like minded people.

Shall see you there. I get two Roberts for the price of one........or hold on, free tickets means for the price of none. :p

Yeah, way!
Clearly Player and I have work to do on our wealth creation mindset.
The Universe has sent us this opportunity to address that issue and build a financial future for ourselves.
I hope to get something out of it and mix with some like minded people.

Hi Rob

I'm going too - maybe those of us from SS should catch up - note that Travel Bug and Karina will also be there.

Someone bring a SS banner ???

Amelia

Me too.

Maybe we could arrange a meeting spot for the first break?

I'm trying to think of the name of the restaurant on the corner of the shops just outside the auditorium.

Can't think of any other obvious place to meet.

Inside the shops in the food court is Gloria Jeans?

Can we all wear pink boas/fluro hats?

Hi All,

I have been offered a ticket to go, but a little unsure about whether to attend or not. I read quite a few reviews online (mainly from the the US) where they mention that the 3 day conference was a hard sell for other RDPD more involved and expensive education (10K +). There was constant mention of the RDPD team asking attendees to get their credit card limits raised so they could come back the next day and report that they could now invest in education.

Has anybody been to one of these before? I don't want go along and be away from my young family to be given a slick sales presentation. :confused:

Cheers

Back