Ringwood v Blackburn North

Hi there, long time lurker first time poster! My husband and I are first home buyers currently weighing up a couple of options as our PPOR in Melbourne's east. We are looking at:

- Buy a two bedroom villa style unit in the Blackburn North/Nunawading area or;
- Buy a older house which needs some work on a large block of land with subdivision potential in the Ringwood area

I have searched and read the forum but was just wondering what people's current opinions were, particularly on Ringwood as an area to live in?

Do you think we would be better off long term buying something smaller in a more sought after area, or go with something abit further out where we can add value?

Thanks!

I would think it depends on your travel time to work and so much more factors... if it is your PPOR. If you take two hours travel to work, I would think a closer place either Ringwood or Blackburn North would be better in the long run.

Thanks for your replies. I work in the Richmond area, my husband in the northern suburbs so there might be a 15 min or so travel time difference going to work in peak hour. Family and friends are scattered all over melb so that is not a huge factor.

We would look at a decent size villa style two bedder in blackburn/nunawading. The outlay for this would most likely be more than an old place on a big block in ringwood.

I know ringwood reasonably well but in my research have read some negative things particularly about the station and traffic congestion which is causing me to second guess the area. Does anyone familiar with the area have any tips of particular pockets to look at or avoid?

ringwood north is prettier and much more middle class..
ringwood behind target square tends to have a higher proportion of public housing..
have been in the first choice liquor store and watched 2 12 year old kids steal alcohol from the store.. i told the shop assistant who basically told me that it happens all the time..

Thanks for your replies. I work in the Richmond area, my husband in the northern suburbs so there might be a 15 min or so travel time difference going to work in peak hour. Family and friends are scattered all over melb so that is not a huge factor.

Keep in mind you can bus into the city from the northern edge of Blacky North or Southern edge of Doncaster East along the Eastern.

The Y-man

ringwood north is prettier and much more middle class..
ringwood behind target square tends to have a higher proportion of public housing..
have been in the first choice liquor store and watched 2 12 year old kids steal alcohol from the store.. i told the shop assistant who basically told me that it happens all the time..

I'm pretty sure that happens in every suburb!

depends..will you invest in an IP soon ? how long do you plan to live in this house ?
2 bdr unit in backburn...its only 2beds and you may run out of space quick...if family grows (?)
ringwood ..+'s are space..land..future subdivision. u can get on to eastlink via ringwood bypass...

values may be depend upon the location & land size in ringwood and the position of the Blackburn unit...

the area around ringwood station seems to be changing for better.
lots of local commuters/residents had complained about vandalism..drunks..teenage fights etc
have been observing that it is gettting better ...there is less graffiti..not much loitering around...on fridays nights i see a police van parked just outside platform 1.

note: these issues are around the station...towards maroondah hiway..on the way to Eastland & library..

And is not the case with the residential areas

Back