RIP Peter Roebuck

Well Penny, we must be the only two people who still love Test cricket; I was ok with watching the one dayers, but I cannot stand watching the 20/20 (no pun intended) trash.

Peter Roebuck was a brilliant commentator and always easy to listen to; his insight is only bettered by Richie Benaud.

I remember doing one of my many drives across the Hay Plain in 2001 and listening to the 2nd test in Kolkata......Dravid & Laxman smashed us for a 376 run partnership.......if anything, that scenario of the dead boring drive and the caning by India would be enough to destroy any interest in listening to the game, but the constant banter between Kerry O'Keefe, Roebuck and Maxwell had me in stitches.

Vale Roey.

You're not alone. While I seldom watch it I am always interested in the contest.

There was no comparison between the ABC team and Ch 9. Like many, I'd watch TV and listen to the radio.

Peter was one of the gentlemen in the game and we will miss him.

I'm a cricket fan and liked Peters articles and insight of his commentary, not to mention his bravery in bringing up unpopular and controversial topics.

I heard the news this morning and wondered how it happened. Still no news of that. Apparently the police visited him yesterday in his hotel room in SA. Looks like suicide.

Count me in too. He had a column published in today's Sunday Age, written after the conclusion of the first test. It was probably only finished day or two before his death. His writings, commentary and musings on the game were always worth a read / listen. Summer won't be the same.

Later reports seem to be inferring suicide.

Sadly, tonight's news said he had taken his own life.

Men in hotel rooms in foreign countries seldom have heart attacks. Sad truth.

RIP Peter.

It seems that he fell from a balcony. A policeman was present.

Perhaps not the first time this has happened in South Africa.

Reading further it seems there may have been a darker side to him.

I suppose it will all come out eventually, sad if the rumours are proved to be true, I always enjoyed his columns in the paper.

It's going to be very grubby if everything comes out.

Right now the media are in the 'tortured genius' phase.

In a few days time they'll move on to the other stuff. If you want to remember him fondly, Penny, best not read the other stuff.

Its a shame isnt it... it looks like its going to be a nasty story.

I'll still remember him fondly.... but I feel for his friends and family who are likely to be put thru hell in the coming months.

Back