Rise of the Creative Class

I'm not sure how Mango's definition includes 99% of SS members, as has been suggested. That was a very high bar to jump and just earning a high wage and being "smart" enough to buy a loss making investment to reduce tax hardly entitles one to membership of Mensa.

I reckon there would be more BAs flipping burgers than fitters ATM.

I think there might be a bit of confusion coming into the discussion here with the loaded term 'class'. Like it or not, in the language of political sociology it harbours the fundamentally Marxist conotation that 'class = power'.

So, to speak of a 'creative class' is invariably going to set off alarm bells for anybody who has an opinion on the political importance of the allegedly creative class (eg. interior designers, etc) vs the materially contributive class (eg. factory workers, etc).

Of course, Marx got it completely wrong in almost every respect. Most relevantly here, his regarding intellectual capital - entrepreneurialism and management - as simply parasitic upon manufacturing capital - workers and machinery - is simply idiocy through and through.

Yet no-one has systematically invalidated his core proposition that structural wealth = structural power, and that's why 'class' remains such a loaded political gun. In this sense modern political sociology is still intellectually struggling - more or less unsuccessfully, so far as I can see - to supercede Marx's paradigmatically political definition of 'class'. (As equally, a term like 'elite' still resounds inescapably with the political sociologies of Pareto and Weber, which correlate power more specifically to competence).

I just have a simple bachelor of commerce degree, so i cant debate the intracacies of social theories with fancy words.

However i will state, that mankinds evolution has always followed mother nature over the long term, and that is there is always a hierachy, there is always a 'pyramid' within society. Overtime that hierachy can be displaced and another is created.

Constructive chaos.

Conclusion: there will always be 'classes', there is no natural 'equality' overtime.

We live in a certain point in time, if we want to be 'successful' we need to adapt to the nature of that time.

I just have a simple bachelor of commerce degree, so i cant debate the intracacies of social theories with fancy words.

However i will state, that mankinds evolution has always followed mother nature over the long term, and that is there is always a hierachy, there is always a 'pyramid' within society. Overtime that hierachy can be displaced and another is created.

Constructive chaos.

Conclusion: there will always be 'classes', there is no natural 'equality' overtime.

We live in a certain point in time, if we want to be 'successful' we need to adapt to the nature of that time.

You do know how I hate to argue, but I've just got to point this out - If you think that it is natural endowances that explain recurrent societal power heirarchies then you belong in the Pareto/Weber camp of 'elites' theory (which they developed precisely to disprove Marxian 'class' theory). That's why to speak of 'natural' classes is not uncommonly regarded as confused and confusing. It jumbles together two fundamentally antagonistic explanations of why seemingly insurmountable power structures recur in human history (i.e. the strong vs the weak, the haves vs the have-nots).

I think the reason the gap between the rich and the poor is increasing is because wall street screwed the economy and walked away with multi-million dollar bonuses while everyone middle class and below is forced to pay for their mistakes.

The reason people are rioting is because they have no hope and nothing to lose. Why should government services to the most vulnerable people in society be cut when they did nothing to cause the problems in the first place. It wasn't single-parents and students who caused the GFC, but they're the ones who are going to suffer.

Now, this is a very difficult concept to get across in a short post ... but the concept does go a long way towards explaining what is happening in many parts of the world (riots etc) - the have nots are falling further behind, but do not necessarily have the ability the pull themselves up into this new era of "thinking outside the box".

Yes - I do believe we are slowly losing the middle class. It's not instantly obvious, or quick in happening, but if you compare the social structure of 50 years ago - a large middle class, very few rich or poor - to today, then the changes are noticable. And I believe it will accelerate, as all changes does.

Still interesting reading, and starting to get into the guts of it.

I found reading the background of the "ages" of humanity advances put things in perspective - agriculture around 10,000 years ago, industrial around 300 years ago, organisational (management heiracy making all decisions and choices etc) around 100 years ago ... and now moving into creative where the management heiracy is being broken down.

Examples of management heiracy is when those few at the top make all the decisions about "how things will be done" without having done them themselves and not asking those "who do" what they believe is an improvement ... I'm sure we've all come across that at some stage of employment.

Information is part of the creative - but it not all of the creative.

The creative is taking what is and pushing the boundaries - across ALL aspects and levels of soceity.

Those that will be left behind are those who do things by rote - and do not have the ability to expand and flex concepts, ideas and methods.

Reading a really interesting book at the moment - although it could take a while being a rather heavy tome - called "Rise of the Creative Class" by Richard Florida.

In a nutshell, it investigates and studies how society has changed in the last 50 years - and most significantly in the last 10. The change from a factory based society where you went to where the jobs were to an innovative and creative based society where the jobs move to where the creative population is.

A bit like buying real estate - follow the artists and gays (creative).

It studies and discusses how the innovative/creative people in society - around 15% of workers in the western world at the core, and 30% if you include the fringe occupations - with the rest of the occupations made up of service and factory.

The most interesting factor is that those who are part of the core creative class are becoming (or have become) the new wealthy ... with service and factory (production line) falling further behind.

The increasing divide between the haves and have nots.

The creative/innovative either invent or work with what is, but manipulated/create to their advantage - whereas the service/factory tend do things by rote.".

I've been thinking about all this stuff. And I still haven't read the book, or researched it at all on the net. And I still think it's all a bit silly. So maybe I've completely missed the point. Maybe I should read the book? But I don't think I ever could as, as I've pointed out, it sounds so stupid.

It's sort of saying that all of a sudden the thinkers, the creative, the inventors will suddenly win in this new world.

So what happened ten thousand years ago when some person invented agriculture and started modern civilisation? By growing grain and veges on the one piece of land, and building a fence to keep in a few cows and pigs and chooks, they were able to build a permanent town. Some stayed working the soil, but others were able to do other things, like be nurses and doctors and teachers and bakers and soldiers. When the backward tribes who were still hunter/gatherers tried to steal the food of the farmers, the well fed soldiers killed the malnourished hunter/gatherers. Soon all the hunter/gatherers were killed off, or took up agriculture themselves. The farmers were the dominant people of the world and they spread all over the world. So the smart thinkers dominated over the skilled hunter/gatherers.

Then five thousand years ago some smart person found that by smelting copper and tin you made bronze. This allowed new stronger weapons and farm implements. The villages who had bronze soon dominated over the ones who didn't, and it was the start of the bronze age. The villages who had bronze were the dominant people in the world. So the smart thinkers dominated over the not so smart.

Then three thousand years ago some smart person smeltered some iron ore and coal into iron. Iron was far greater than bronze. The smart won again.

Then someone invented paper and ink. They were able to store information a lot better. Skills were passed down better than ever before. The smart won this time too.

Then some bloke in Britain invented the steam engine and started the industrial revolution. Britain was the dominant world power for centuries. The smart won.

So for ten thousand years the smart thinkers have won. And it would have happened before then too. The apes who left the safety of the trees to find food on the African grasslands also won, as the ones who stayed in the trees stayed as apes, but out on the much more dangerous plains they evolved into humans.

The smart thinkers have always won. Until now.

Now the very smartest people in society have less kids. Some of the smartest woman in the world have no kids. Their genes are lost forever. And with welfare for all, and more money for more kids, any woman can have as many kids as they like, and all the biggest loser men are all so very happy to help out in the whole kid producing process.

the concept does go a long way towards explaining what is happening in many parts of the world (riots etc) - the have nots are falling further behind, but do not necessarily have the ability the pull themselves up into this new era of "thinking outside the box".

Everyone who thinks they are hard done by, want what the haves have. So the rioters in London took what wasn't theirs. People in Africa are starving and fighting because they are having too many kids. They can never have what we have.

I dunno. I'm thinking as an athiest farmer thinks. This has been a good thread, and I'm mainly just trying to keep it going. :)

See ya's.

Last edited:
TC, that was fantastic! I'd don't care if I agree with all your reasoning or not, but there was so much just . . . reasoning . . . in that post, that I was floored. Bravo! Keep it coming!

(I just loved the bit about "The smart thinkers have always won . . . until now." Rhetorical strategy #001: Kick a proposition until it damned-well explains itself. Delightful!)

Been saying that forever, TC. Stupid people are breeding, smart people are not. I still shake my head at the thought.

But when all these DINKS are sitting on their balcony sipping their Chardonnay with Dez and Tez the twin poodles in their 60s, they'll lament their wasted youth in not having children because now they're staring down the barrel of dying alone.

Or they'll be so bitter and twisted from their lifelong cognitive dissonance they'll be of no real use to social circles and will again, die alone.

There's a new Market....."rent a family" .....!

Tc - I agree with what you say ... although, to clarify, we are discussing the modern western world rather than 3rd world countries like Somalia.

Perhaps I haven't been clear enough. I agree that throughout history there have been creative people, inventors, forward thinkers etc.

What researchers are finding now is that, no longer are a "rising number" of people happy to work for the man screwing tops on toothpaste bottles for 40 years (or attaching bits to cars) etc, take a golden handshake and sit on front porch sipping whiskey sours until they die.

No matter how much they are paid, workers are turning away from the monotonous, repetitive jobs and entering jobs that allow (in order) challenge, flexibility, stability, monetary reward, peer recognition, a desirable lifestyle outside of work etc. Monetary reward for a job alone is no longer enough for job satisfaction.

Perhaps this following video helps explain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc&feature=relmfu

So, even 50-100 years ago workers were satisfied to have a job on the production line, doing the same job day after day, hope for a promotion up the ranks from toothpast lid screwer to eventually toothpaste tube filler, that paid them enough to have the modest house in the suburbs with the wife and 3 kids etc.

Nowadays, for more and more people, this is not enough. They want creativity in their employment. They want challenge and the ability to contribute in a (to them) meaningful way. They want flexiblity to pursue the path they choose to get the job done without the boss dictating - and flexibility to pursue other interests that benefit their work but may not be directly associated - etc.

This possibly explains why we have an excess of people wanting to train as beauticians, interior designers, IT, architects etc, whilst we have a dearth of people coming thru the ranks training as plumbers, boilermakers, bricklayers etc.

Another example relevant to Australia is the remote mines and rigs. The day to day jobs are repetitive, the lifestyle in the hours outside of work is mundane, there is little flexibility or challenge - yet despite paying enormous amounts of money there is still a skill shortage, a struggle to find people willing to sacrafice their lifestyle, autonomy and "creativity" for the monetary reward.

Here is a brief summary of "The Rise of the Creative Class". Hope it makes it clearer:

http://www.gurusoftware.com/GuruNet/Social/RiseoftheCreativeClassSummary.htm

and this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_class

and this:

http://www.slideshare.net/whatidiscover/the-rise-of-creative-class

It an interesting concept ... has always existed to some degree ... but is now becoming a dominant force in social interaction and future employment.

Last edited:
Then five thousand years ago some smart person found that by smelting copper and tin you made bronze

Then three thousand years ago some smart person smeltered some iron ore and coal into iron.

Then someone invented paper and ink.

The some bloke in Britain invented the steam engine and started the industrial revolution.

So for ten thousand years the smart thinkers have won.

You show some great examples over the history of man of advances that 'thinkers' have made. But look at the timeline you have given, advances were slow and far between because people generally didnt have the luxury of time to be creative or explore new ideas.

Consider the millions of possible 'thinkers' during those 5 thousand years who were forced to labour for 12 hours a day to stay alive, or didnt have an education to grow their natural abilities, or an internet to rapidly research what others had done and expand on it.

Now look at today, education is widespread, the thinkers have hundreds of hours every month to advance their particular field and what might have taken someone months to research a few decades ago they can now do it in hours or even minutes.

These things mean that more people than ever are able to contribute to society in a creative manner, whether it is in their job or even a pasttime or hobby.

The thinkers of centuries gone past were generally the wealthy who could afford the education and also the time for their persuits but now anyone with a willingness to learn and explore and internet access could be the next moden version of Archimedes or Michaelangelo :)

Well said Mango ... I knew you "got it".

The available time factor is very much part of the shift. Combined with choices, less prepared to sacrifice lifestyle for more money etc ...

Kudos - but apparently I have the spread myself around a bit before I can officially give you more.

The thinkers of centuries gone past were generally the wealthy who could afford the education and also the time for their persuits but now anyone with a willingness to learn and explore and internet access could be the next moden version of Archimedes or Michaelangelo :)

while it's certainly true, it is only to a point.

you can't prove string theory, find the higgs boson or develop bio-entanglement theory just by reading the internet.

you CAN, however; learn calculus, trigonometry, physics, chemistry, language, construction technique, art technique etc all if you are just willing to invest the time to do so.

i bet people of the world not 50 years ago thought when the television entered our lives that it would change forever.

well it did, but indirectly.

it allowed computer monitors to enter most homes - and with that access to the worlds knowledge at their fingertips by connection of an even older discovery - microwaves, radiowaves and the telephone cable.

we are living a renaissance right now. and just like the powers that were (the church) tried to supress and squirrel away information - so too are the powers of today.

do turn off the television station and turn on the computer monitor; and learn.

Adding to TC's post, many of the significant inventions (or processes) that have advanced mankind are somewhat under the radar. Two of my favourites are the ability to draw wire and portland cement.

The drawn wire allowed fencing without stone or hedgerows. (A major advance for agriculture.) Also mass produced nails for building. And where would we be without concrete?

It doesn't need to have bells and whistles to matter.

Back