Rochedale QLD

Has anyone researched Rochedale QLD. I have a buyers agent looking for properties in the Brisbane area for me. The agent located a three bedroom house in Rochedale asking price $217K, the real estate agent said that, it would achieve rental of $210 per week.
At $210 per week the yield is 5.03%. Based on my limited knowledge of the suburb and the area this sounds low. API magazine shows capital growth for the period October 01 to September 02 of 8.73% with the median price of $153000 and the median rent for a three bedroom house as at 30 September 2002 of $190. The house is a basic three bedbroom house with a carport, nothing special except that it has undergone a makeover including external rendering, all floor surface have been tiled, internal paint and a kitchen updated.

Am I missing something with this area? :confused

Any thoughts and predictions for the area will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mick A. : Rochedale QLD

Dear Mick,

Rochedale itself is a very broad area with limited statistical info.

Rochedale South on the other hand is where I think you mean:

Capital Growth in:
March 2002 quarter: -1%
June 2002 quarter: 5%%
Sept 2002 quarter: 10.03%

Median price Sept 2002 $170,000

Average rental for 4123 postcode (Includes Priests Gully/ Rochedale) $195/week

Gross yield for the suburb 5.96%

Questions:

1) How close is the property to Springwood mall?
2) How close to public transport?
3) How close to schools?
4) What type of zoning for the land?
5) What future developments are going to take place in the area?

All under $217k
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...7710&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&snf=&cu=&fmt=&header=

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...2922&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&snf=&cu=&fmt=&header=

http://www.raywhite.com/scripts/resLstDtls.asp?CtryCode=AU&PropTypeCode=U&LstKey=1403479&Actn=
(Probably too far away from transport/shops.)

Sold/contract recent examples:
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...973&f=10&p=10&t=res&ty=&snf=&cu=&fmt=&header=

http://www.raywhite.com/scripts/resLstDtls.asp?CtryCode=AU&PropTypeCode=H&LstKey=1405777&Actn=

Sounds a bit expensive to me. Maybe your buyers agent should be trying harder or giving you more reasons why it is a great buy.

I think a great buyers agent should be worth their weight in gold. However something to think about........ Are you going to have to use a buyers agent for your next purchase?

Give someone a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach someone how to fish and you feed them for a lifetime.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Dear Sunstone and Brisbanites

Thank you Sunstone for your informative reply to my question.

The property is 1.21KM from the mall and approx 1KM from a primary school and nearly 3KM from a railway station.

From my research the capital growth for Rochedale has been below the QLD average. I do not know the area, and I am wondering wether there is much construction activity in the area and how much vacant land there is for development.

Based on your knowledge of Brisbane, how inportant is the railway to the residents, and does the bus service provide a good alternative to rail.

Crystal balling how you rate Rochedale South as a capital growth play in the short to medium term.

Thank you all.

Regards

Mick A.

Dear Mick,

The property is 1.21KM from the mall and approx 1KM from a primary school and nearly 3KM from a railway station.

Reasonable location to the shopping mall. (12-14 minutes walk depending on how hilly and the energy levels of the person walking.). School okay. Railway station. 30 minutes. No positive impact at all.

From my research the capital growth for Rochedale has been below the QLD average. I do not know the area, and I am wondering wether there is much construction activity in the area and how much vacant land there is for development.

Below average growth can be good if you know the reasons for this. It may mean that it is a sleeper suburb and undervalued. On the other hand it may be a swamp having substantial limitations on development and future subdivision potential.

Went for a drive around the area on the weekend. Okay family area but nothing special. Not my type of fish but that is not to say it is bad.

Based on your knowledge of Brisbane, how important is the railway to the residents, and does the bus service provide a good alternative to rail.

Good question.

I believe that the rail plays a SIGNIFICANT part in the capital growth of properties. All of my IP's are less than 12 minutes walk to the station.

Why are railways important?

Have a look at where Brisbane's population increase comes from. Sure natural increase plays a part. However the more significant increase comes from interstate migration and international immigration. When someone first locates in a new area what factors are important to them? Do they immediately have the finances to buy two cars?

The reality is that finances are tight whilst they set themselves up. For this reason it makes sense to find accomodation that is convenient to transportation to get to employment centres and also to a local shopping centre.

If the suburb is not very close to the city then how do they select where to live? What makes one suburb a better selection than another? That is where railways come in. It immediately makes the selection process easier. The potential tenant knows that the railway will ALWAYS be there and will ALWAYS be easy to use. If they don't have the finances to purchase one or two cars then maybe this will help them get away without it for a while. At least they can easily get to an employment centre. Their kids as well can easily get to schools and entertainment in the city.

They start looking along the train line and simply keep going out until they find the area that they can afford to rent in. Typically after a family moves into an area and establishes themselves then it is likely that they will also stay in the area.

If the IP is easy walking distance. By easy I mean less than 14 minutes walk to the station you will find that this is significant in ensuring capital growth. There is only so much land in easy walking distance to the station. When population growth keeps driving up demand for accomodation then at some point in time this land if it is not already zoned will have better potential to become medium density housing. When someone builds a unit block beside your house what impact will that have on the value of the land your house if on?

Councils also have an obligation to increase the utilisation rates of public transport. One council report I read showed the increase in using cars and the impact that this will have on the amount of road upkeep and new roads that will have to be built. As this is not cost-effective for council budgets important measures are being taken to ensure that there is major and ongoing increase in the utilisation of public transport and funds are being allocated to ensure this.

Look at the major cities in the world. See how they cope with major populations and corresponding increases. Whilst I could not imagine a two hour commute to a place of employment each day, people are doing this everyday in the US. In Sydney a 45 minute train trip from Hornsby to the city is certainly acceptable. Look at Brisbane through these same eyes. See what you see.

What do the biggest cities in the world use to solve traffic jams that result? Subways. These are just underground trains.

Bus's are comparatively unreliable and more expensive to use. They are also more of a pain in the ass to work out where the bus routes run because next election the route could change............. Train lines don't easily get moved.

I will always extol the virtues of trainlines. They are practical for non-volatile rentals for getting the working population to a place of employment. Choosen right you can get good yields and the proximity to the rail and shops will ensure it's stable capital growth.

Crystal balling how you rate Rochedale South as a capital growth play in the short to medium term.

Crystals balling is not science. I would say look along the train line. Otherwise ensure that you have made the time to physically see the area yourself and work out in your own mind the factors why it is going to have good capital growth, at least okay gross yields and make an investment that fits in with your long-term strategy.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

I agree access to public transport is important.

But when is "close" actually "too close", due to the noise considerations of a train, and the potential for a reduced value?

Good point Kev - it really seems to depend on the type of property and its aspect, whats inbetween the property and the transport and whether the property is above/below the transport

thats just what ive noticed

If you want to keep near the train line in that area look at Kuraby. The next stations south are Trinder Park, Woodridge and Kingston (shudder). New busway is almost finished so this may or may not have an impact on property values once residents can jump on a bus and coast into the city.

Dear Kev,

But when is "close" actually "too close", due to the noise considerations of a train, and the potential for a reduced value?

When the noise has an impact on the comfort of the tenant. A practical example was when I lived in Wollstonecraft. Nice area with lots of high-rise units in a blue chip suburb of Sydney.

The blocks of units immediately in front of the train were in my view not acceptable. However the block where I lived was in the next block out and across a road. The noise did not have a negative impact on the comfort zone and there was no physical shaking of the building when a train went past.

In short it is the row that immediately lines the railway lines and serves as the sound barrier for the rest of the IP's in the area. This is the one not to invest in unless it can be obtained for a serious discount.

If you want to keep near the train line in that area look at Kuraby. The next stations south are Trinder Park, Woodridge and Kingston (shudder). New busway is almost finished so this may or may not have an impact on property values once residents can jump on a bus and coast into the city.

Natmarie. Now you will get all investors wondering what is wrong with Kingston. For all of those who don't know Kingston had some bad publicity many years ago about being built on top of an old rubbish tip and had toxic black sludge coming out of the soil. Even myself I would have to agree that this will continue to be a health concern.

Having said that I am sure that with a little bit of innovation there must be a way to make money in the suburb.

Trinder Park and Woodridge. What an amazing sea of units. Now it's just a case of someone putting money back into the retail area to reinvigorate it a bit more.

Andrew G,

Sorry no ideas on the bus lane. You can tell what I am driven by in my previous post/s in this thread.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

lol - even I wouldn't buy in Kingston or Woodridge. These suburbs along with Crestmead are the only postcodes in the whole of Australia that incur a higher premium with my landlord insurance company so that must say something! Slacks Creek is a surrounding "buffer suburb" between Logan Central (Woodridge) and the much better area of Springwood/Daisy Hill and while showing some capital growth still has some good rent returns and some nice solid brick suburban palaces.

The busway is an extension of the Eight Mile Plains stop and basically runs alongside the South East Freeway towards the Gold Coast. At the moment it only goes as far as Eight Mile Plains with the Springwood stop due to be completed in May. As for noise it won't really impact at all due to the existing noise from the freeway. Most surrounding suburbs are protected by noise barriers anyway. Anything that speeds up this commute into the city is a good thing for residents so it would be recommended to either buy near the train line at Kuraby (for cap growth) or the busway at Springwood if you are looking at this area.

Ah, my old stamping ground.....
We bought a PPOR in Rochedale Sth in 1993 and paid $145K for a 4 bed, ensuite with a pool. During the 3 yrs that we lived there we added approx $20K in renovations, including a double carport, driveway, landscaping, fans, window coverings, pergola railing, skylight and dishwasher. Sold just over 3 yrs later for $166K (record price for street at the time) So much for cg then!
That property is now worth about $230K, ten yrs since original purchase. Rent would be around $300 per week. Not a great place to keep as an investment.

I have nothing against the area but if you think there's large cg to be made, be aware of the market facts and do some research. Yes, I agree that the bus situation is greatly improved near the Springwood but current prices reflect this. 20 mins from the city in Brisbane is regarded very differently in Sydney. 20 mins here is nothing!

Mick, to give you a more recent example, friends of mine purchased a 4 bed house in the suburb (quiet street) for $190K last Nov, did some $20K worth of renovations (new kitchen, painting, altered driveway) and are now getting $310 a week rent. The example you gave is a poor return and I'd be looking for one much better!
Happy Hunting and let us know how you go.

Hi Mick,

the rental return for that specific property looks quite low. There are other places such as Rockhampton and Towoomba with much higher rental yields and after all expnses and interest payments they offer a positive cashflow, although it depends if you're looking for high rental yield or capital growth!

good luck!

Hi all

I sent an e-mail to my buyers agent with information from the replies and some extra research that I conducted. I asked the agent to justify his reasons why I should accept a low yield for what appears to be a suburb that will show at the best case only average capital appreciation. I still not have had a reply. The success fee that the agent charges is $5000. I check this suburb for listings on the net and found the property along with a number of similiar properties.

Like most interstate investors I am trying to locate the gems in the sleeper suburbs. In this case I will not be parting with my hard earned cash, and will continue to use all available sources of information and especially, this forum.

Thank you all

Mick A.

Back