Rockstars' Development Diary

Things have been moving along fairly steadily this past few weeks. We have had a fair bit of wet weather which is continuing to make work uncomfortable for the tradies. Unit 2 is now fully gyprocked and Unit 1 is half finished. Wet area tiling and kitchens should go in next week. Scaffolding is now down. Here are the latest pics.

DSCF2899.JPG

DSCF2895.JPG

Hey Rockstar,

Top diary. Thanks for sharing.

Some questions if you don't mind :

1. How much earth was excavated?

How did the excavation company/builder quote on this type of work? Per cubic meter?

2. You said

"Initial indications from builders were for a contract of around 400-450k. The contract price I finalised was for 480k...."

The "initial" indications, were they quoted off the DA plans or BA plans?

3. Did you put this development out to tender?

George

Hey Rockstar. looking Good:)
A bit different from when i saw them a few weeks back.

Gee Cee

Greg

Thanks Greg, Yeah they're pushing along now. Unit 2 has been sprayed inside and Unit 1 is nearly ready for spraying. Interesting how different builders time things differently. Our last duplex was painted after wet area tiling, fix out and kitchen installation whereas this guy sprays ceiling and undercoat on walls before any fixout, tiling and kitchen. Garage doors go on tomorrow.

Cheers, Ian

Hey Rockstar,

Top diary. Thanks for sharing.

Some questions if you don't mind :

1. How much earth was excavated?

How did the excavation company/builder quote on this type of work? Per cubic meter?

2. You said

"Initial indications from builders were for a contract of around 400-450k. The contract price I finalised was for 480k...."

The "initial" indications, were they quoted off the DA plans or BA plans?

3. Did you put this development out to tender?

George

Hi George,

1. Don't know. All the earth was recycled - cut and fill.

2. The company that led me to beleive that the houses would be around 400k estimated from the concept plans. By the time they made the contract price based on the soil test, contour survey, and required engineering and site costs, the price for contract ballooned out to 495k. I sacked them for being so misleading. Then I had the plans quoted on by the current builder who was prepared to build them for 480k.

3. No.

Cheers, Ian :)

From $400K to $495K?....that's blatant decieving....what sharks

Interesting you were able to gain some indicative costs just from the concept plans.

Builders I've spoken to (I'm from Brissie), either want a BA and your commitment, or you're just a pasrty puff to them....oh well, we'll see how self-righteous they are when the downturn comes in 2009....

I'm about to start the ball rolling on my own development soon....be it JV or solo....so your thread is valubale to me....

cheers
George

Flat out Giddo. Obviously too busy and too tired to post. Here are some shots I meant to post over 3 weeks ago. I would say that it will be finalised at the end of next week. The landscaping has taken more time than I had anticipated and so has the build. Carpets go in on tuesday and fit off is done as well as all the tiling. A bit of painting to be done as well as fences, planting, a bit of rock rendering, window furnishings, aerials and, of course, cleaning! Have an interested buyer coming tomorrow for a squizz inside. Will report back soon for an overview of the final few weeks of the project.

Regards, Ian :)

Attachments

• Rock rendering progress.JPG
    Rock rendering progress.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 262
  • Unit 1 Formed up to pour.JPG
    Unit 1 Formed up to pour.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 251
  • Unit 2 Driveway Pour.JPG
    Unit 2 Driveway Pour.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 229
Looking good!

How are the numbers shaping up in terms of end value? Have the prices in the area remained steady so that the project pans out as you had planned dollarwise?

Looking good!

How are the numbers shaping up in terms of end value? Have the prices in the area remained steady so that the project pans out as you had planned dollarwise?

Hi Sparky,

I've had feedback from trusted agents for a fair market value of 480k for Unit 2 and 470k for Unit 1. Listing price would be a bit under 500k. I was initially hoping for vals of 475k at the beginning of the project so we have been fortunate to meet this expectation in the current climate. They will rent out for at least 400 - 420/wk each. Still haven't decided whether to sell one or not. Will all depend on the reval and top up loan to see if we have enough to proceed with the awaiting duplex.
Our costs will be around 820 - 830k for the project.

Will be planting within the week! Must be getting close.
:)

Hi Rockstar,

I read your thread with interest.

It seems you employed a builder to manage the build and to organise all trades, etc? How much additional management/input was required from yourself? i.e did you just need to manage the one guy?

I'm trying to get an idea of the difference between using a builder and project managing the build yourself. Obviously it would cost less to do it yourself but might not be worth the extra stress organising trades, etc. How much extra do you think it cost by using a builder in this way?

Cheers
Nick.

Looking Good

HI Rockstar
Wow the place certainly looks a bit different from when my son and i paid a visit last year. was only framed up and roof starting to go on.

Hope it all pans out well for you

Gee Cee
Greg

legend rockstar.

Im a lazy bugger and can barely lift a finger to type a post and you have put a thread(which IMO takes a huge effort) with all these details. Amazing if you ask me!

When it comes to information most people love to take but never give... When i reach your level and i have secrets to share then hopefully you will find them as great as i have your thread

May the shwartze be with you... (quote from meatballs the movie 4 those going..huh?! swartze??) hah :)

Last edited:
Hi Rockstar,

I read your thread with interest.

It seems you employed a builder to manage the build and to organise all trades, etc? How much additional management/input was required from yourself? i.e did you just need to manage the one guy?

I'm trying to get an idea of the difference between using a builder and project managing the build yourself. Obviously it would cost less to do it yourself but might not be worth the extra stress organising trades, etc. How much extra do you think it cost by using a builder in this way?

Cheers
Nick.

Sorry I missed this Nick.

I think you need to use a contractor if you are borrowing more than 20% or so of the cost - so this will restrict most people from being owner builder and having the option of organising their own tradies. I have only used contract builders because I needed to borrow 80% of the cost.
Saying this I have felt a bit like the builders supervisor on this duplex because I was close by and working on the landscaping throughout the project. It is fairly consuming which ever way you go - particularly if you are new to the game. :)

Hi Rockstar

Looking good - lots of cupboards in the kitchen!

I note there is an open house 12md this Saturday.

Cheers
Sheryn

Back