Roller shutters?

What can you guys tell me about roller shutters in regards to adding value and cost?

I'm in Melbourne and I settle on my ppor in about three weeks.
I'll have about 5k to spend and I work night shift so I'll need either/and shutters or aircon to sleep.

Looking at using these guys http://www.newtechshutters.com.au out of all the ones I've called thay were the only ones to actually return a call or frankly be nice.

Like the others they wont commit to a price before coming out.

So what do manual shutters cost on average and are they a good idea?
Or should I get aircon? Can I get aircon (ducted) for 5k installed?

I work night shift so I'll need either/and shutters or aircon to sleep.

Haven't quite figured this out... do you need the shutters just to keep cool? They are generally more a combined security/light/sound/shading consideration than a purely climate control opiton...

Cheers,

The Y-man

Haven't quite figured this out... do you need the shutters just to keep cool? They are generally more a combined security/light/sound/shading consideration than a purely climate control opiton...

Cheers,

The Y-man

Shutters keep out light, reduce noise and heat making it easier to sleep during daylight hours. (I have them at my current rental and love them)

I really want shutters AND aircon, I need to learn more about pricing before I can choose what to get first.

Don't know about cost, and I may be out of step with other purchasers, but to my mind roller shutters DEPRECIATE a property :p Sorry, but I think they're terribly ugly - one woman's opinion ;)

Go the reverse-cycle AIR CON! You won't get ducted for $5K, but you could get 3 or more split systems (if you shop around).

Don't know about cost, and I may be out of step with other purchasers, but to my mind roller shutters DEPRECIATE a property :p Sorry, but I think they're terribly ugly - one woman's opinion ;)

Its ok, the house is ugly it'll fit right in. Besides it in Melton, shutters are easier than boarding up the windows when I go out :)

Some of the roller shutters i have seen look quite nice

I am considering some for my ppor as well but have no idea on price as i have many more things to do before i get to roller shutters

roller shutters

I have roller shutters on my PPOR and I love them.

They help keep out the searing Adelaide heat in summer and are great for reducing noise and light while sleeping.

The only drawback I find is that unless I set an alarm on the weekends I can sleep till lunch time without realising as there is no light to wake me up.

I have had a fire in my home (son's bedroom) and there is no way in the world I would install roller shutters. Having a fire occur at 3am when everyone is asleep makes you realise 'it can happen to you'. A simple electrical problem. There was no negligence, no candles blowing over, no smoking in bed etc etc - it just happened in an appliance that was less than 12 months old and caused $10,000 damage, but the smoke alarm woke up the son who called the Fire Brigade.

The kids fire safety plan, in the event of another fire, and if access to their door is blocked, (ie the door handle is hot) is to throw a chair through their window and escape. Once you know the feeling of a fire, you tend to really, really think about these things.

I also think they look really ugly. So Ozperp, I guess that makes it two of us!

I just got a roller shutter installed on a large window (about 2000w 1500h) at a cost of $950. I put a large marine fish tank in front of the window and it was the only window cover that would stop the very bright hydroponic lights from lighting up the street at night.

It is battery operated so not wired directly to the house (those ones are around $1400). The prices I was quoted are 'one window only' prices however, I think depending on how many windows the price is reduced by anywhere up to 50% per window.

Our 2nd IP is ion Corio and has roller shutters on the bed rooms.

Our new tenants will be in soon (next weekend) and he is a truck driver and works nights and weekends.

I think he will probably be happy to have them to help him sleep through the day.

The ones we have remote controls, not hard wired

My mum has them & loves them (haidea of them when she bought the place, now can; do without them).. one of hers is manually operated, small window in the laundry, and I'm pretty sure you can manually open others (?)

i don't think they suit every place, but tend to be accepted sort of like colorbond prodcuts (?)

very common in the mediterrenean

Hello Ozperp & Pushka, that makes 3 of us now. We find them terribly unattractive, particularly in SE QLD where open living and encouraging breezes into the house is common (if you don't need / own A/C).

Back