Rowville or Dandenong North

the bus route that services that area is not a direct route to my journey to city need to do some bus hopping.

Better to do a drive to station - eg Glen Waverley (which has very limited parking), Syndal, or even to Huntingdale etc.

The Y-man

Better to do a drive to station - eg Glen Waverley (which has very limited parking), Syndal, or even to Huntingdale etc.

The Y-man

Yeah a friend in Rowville and even another one bordering section of Ferntree Gully regularly drives to Huntingdale station due to zone 1 starting area.

I use to drive to Huntingdale when I had a old bomb of a car and didnt mind coming home with extra dents..

Actually I just recently recieved a free minimal rusty corolla that Im currently patching up, but still its handy just to know theres regular buses nearby for just incase or when the old folks what to visit since they dont drive.

If I was struggling to make the cut in Rowville I would have a good look through Ferntree Gully.

Ferntree Gully isnt bad I know, but I would prefer something that needs fixing up a little more closer in. Can make the cut in Rowville just have to let go of my desire for favourable public transport unless wait for something to pop up near the main road thats suitable.

I think you need to talk less and do more. No one is here going to make the decision for you - it's your money, your call.

Thats pretty obvious its not like I dont go to OI every weekend, etc. Since its my first time Im more likey to speak my mind out loud and in doing so I have learnt a wealth of information from other ppl who have been there and done that, which Im sure without this forum I would have learnt many lessons the hardway from mistakes.

I think you should just go with where you feel comfortable living.

If it's such a major problem for you to have to say you live in Dandenong, then go for Rowville. Both have similar growth statistics (with dandenong north coming out on top on this site).

Just remember that 25 years ago, people wouldn't be caught dead living in St Kilda or Port Melbourne, now look at it. Areas that may not be sexy now may well be gold in years to come.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but Rowville also has africans and other people of ethinic origin.

:eek:
I think you should just go with where you

Just remember that 25 years ago, people wouldn't be caught dead living in St Kilda or Port Melbourne, now look at it. Areas that may not be sexy now may well be gold in years to come.

These suburbs will never be a st kilda/port etc as they have no beach, no Victorian mansions, no light rail etc

:eek:

These suburbs will never be a st kilda/port etc as they have no beach, no Victorian mansions, no light rail etc

Ok, my point was though that they were suburbs that previously had a very bad reputation. Now people are proud to live there.

Dandenong may have a poor reputation now, but in the future there might be less of a stigma associated with it.

I'd be happy to live there myself, it's a transport and commercial hub for the region, I can also see that the council is spending money to beautify the CBD.

If I were the OP I would save that 50-100k and spend it on an IP somewhere. Rather than giving a **** what people might think of him living in Dandenong.

Dandenong may have a poor reputation now, but in the future there might be less of a stigma associated with it.

Living next to Dandenong (North) for 30 odd years, the reputation has improved alot locally since 15-20 years ago. I think today some parts are underrated more so bordering Mulgrave area, but its hard to undo its bad reputation.

One of my friends use to stay in Noble Park, My response is WTF thats a high crime area, etc. My friend would say its not that bad just keep away from the train station, but then when I mention Dandy North to my Noble Park friend she would say OMG Dandenong is where the drugs come from dont go there. but for me Dandy North is ok. Its pretty tame compared to the rest of it, but you wouldnt know unless you live near there and pass through it regularly. From a outsiders point of view I know just hearing the name Dandenong is a automatic red flag, but its actually pretty good lots of services/transport out this way.

I've pretty much narrowed down what my decision should be, with everyones feedback.

- A house that suits my needs or potential to do so.
- Feels comfortable
- Quality of home. Dandy North one's are older so negative there.
- A home that I feel is worth the money paid for to maintain my level of lifestyle choice.

So based on that I dont believe I should exclude Dandy North, I will just have a preference for Rowville but if something nice and suitable comes up in Dandy North, then I've learnt alot from this forum to make a confident decision to pull the trigger.

Think of it this way. The extra money it would cost you to buy in rowville could easily buy you one positive or neutrally geared IP, or 2 negatively geared.

Think of it this way. The extra money it would cost you to buy in rowville could easily buy you one positive or neutrally geared IP, or 2 negatively geared.

X2.
If I was living in Nth Dandy, I'd only live north of Outlook Drive.
Just my personal experience and opinion.
I'd be confident in putting my money there also. On the other hand, and as pointed out by another, higher wage / wage growth of those in Rowville generally means more scope for higher prices in the future due to simple affordability/price ratio - however it's dependent upon those living there upgrading in the same area, and doesn't account for new entries to the area.

I'd make my first home affordable so I could get as many IP's under my belt ASAP!

Another thought, get an ex commission near McFees rd or similar and subdivide and live in the nice one at the rear. That's sure to get some comments!

X2.
If I was living in Nth Dandy, I'd only live north of Outlook Drive.
Just my personal experience and opinion.
I'd be confident in putting my money there also. On the other hand, and as pointed out by another, higher wage / wage growth of those in Rowville generally means more scope for higher prices in the future due to simple affordability/price ratio - however it's dependent upon those living there upgrading in the same area, and doesn't account for new entries to the area.

I'd make my first home affordable so I could get as many IP's under my belt ASAP!

Another thought, get an ex commission near McFees rd or similar and subdivide and live in the nice one at the rear. That's sure to get some comments!

Yeah I agree that Outlook Drive area "Rosewood" estate is no problem to place your money there.. Its actually a exclusive area bordering parkland and cut off from the rest of Dandy North by main roads. When ppl enter that area they normally live there long term so not many listings pop up. Also that part is higher priced so keeps out the undesirable elements.

Actually I dont think the environment really drops off until you look at Lyndale High Scool onwards towards Dandy.

I dont think living in a Bad rep suburb is particularly bad, it properly depends on your neighbours and ppl in your street more. You can end up with bad neighbours in any suburb really.

Kind of boils down to entry level in a better off suburb taking a little longer to pay off loan or mid-market in a poorer suburb which I can basically invest in IP in a much shorter time frame.

The sub-division is a good idea but at this stage just want to keep things simple and not really go into any development schemes. More after family home that suits me.

I pretty much think see how things flow from follow ups on OI's and gutt feeling.

Back